G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

‘Goodbye’ Integra, ‘Hello’ G35 ; a buy/sell story

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 05:19 PM
Concours d'Elegance
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
‘Goodbye’ Integra, ‘Hello’ G35 ; a buy/sell story

This is my first post here at G35Driver.com; glad to be here. My story reads as follows:

It all started a couple months ago when I decided to prep my Integra to sell. College was coming to an end and what better way to kick off my professional life than with a new vehicle. First thing was first, sell the Integra.

I wrote and edited personally for about two weeks, off and on. I then had some members from the boards (Autopia) help with it. In the end, I was thrilled with the ad and it really helped gauge an audience. To sum it up, KBB value on the car was about $5k; I had $10k in mods over the years and $2500 in maintenance in the past 10k miles. My selling price was $10,500. I was thrilled and was totally confident that the new buyer was in great hands with this vehicle. The final ad was listed here: http://www.detailingbyexecutive.com/vteg.htm

I ended up delivering the car about three hours away and accepting a certified check. The transaction was smooth and painless. The new owner is a fanatic about cars and has already been sponsored by a detailing product retailer since the purchase . At first I missed the car, but after my new purchase, I haven’t looked back.

Now, when I started my search, I had a couple criteria that I needed met, they included:

- 4-doors
- Sports-sedan performance and stature
- Manual tranny
- RWD or AWD
- Boat loads of amenities

Before this, I was all over the place. I was looking at Porsche 996s one week and WRX STis the next. So when all was said and done, my final three were (in no particular order):

- Volvo S60R
- BMW 330i ZHP (E46)
- Infiniti G35 Sedan

I drove two out of three (not the BM) and my mind was pretty much set. In the end it came down to me getting the Infiniti (new) for $10k cheaper than the new S60R and more optioned out than either.

I whored Edmunds.com every day to peel back the onion on this car. I also began reading over at G35Driver.com. Lastly, I found amazing advice over at CarBuyingTips.com. This website saved me thousands through just becoming an educated consumer and not being pushed around. I was able to feel safe and make accurate purchasing decisions.

So when crunch time came closer, I put the order through for a Diamond Graphite/Graphite, 6MT, Nav/Aero/Premium Sedan. My second choice, if there was no other optioned DG in the country was silver.

To my dismay, they found the Silver one quicker. They got it in and Liz and I were very upset. They didn’t understand how adamant we were about paint colors. She was the one who told them, “We are detailers; paint color is like women having the right shoes for her outfit”. Our disappointment resonated for a couple minutes throughout the entire dealership until the Finance Manager pulled me into the office. He insured me they’d get the car, no matter what. Low and behold, there were 7 of the exact cars on the East Coast, just “Out of the NE Region”. My attitude was pretty much “Tell someone who cares, because I want Diamond Graphite, period”. We calmed down; they put the order through and arranged for a loaner pickup a few days later.

For 2 weeks or so, I tooted around in an ’02 I35 which I detailed once and washed four times. They were ecstatic about the condition upon returning.

The days passed and I finally got the call saying that the car was in. I tried to control my excitement and scheduled an appointment for the next day. From Day 1, they had STRICT guidelines not to wash, detail, or remove ANY of the plastic. In addition, I told them I’d refuse the car if the front plate was drilled. Since this car was fresh off the boat from Japan, I wanted it just like that.

I went in on Wednesday with check in hand. As I mentioned, I got a great deal. The MSRP was $37,820; the invoice was $34,566. I paid $34,600. The key to this, IMO, was being an educated consumer (www.carbuyingtips.com) and using sugar before spice. I wasn’t arrogant and never said “I know you are making money here”. I pushed hard, but not hard enough to turn them to the other side. I schmoozed with the salesman and Finance Manager and built a relationship. I knew and they knew that I was going to get a good deal, but at the end of the day, I would be a very good customer. So, with the special finance rate of 2.95%, I was off and flying. I got bumped to this special rate under a push since my credit was a touch under 700. The Finance Manager made everything happen.

So yes, in the end, I am extremely enthused about this purchase. George Harte Infiniti of West Haven, CT was GREAT. There were a few bumps in the road and they said themselves, “This was the most hiccups we’ve ever had on a delivery”, however, I could accept it; I was being VERY picky. They made everything happen and didn’t think of dropping me on my a$$ for one second.

The car itself is a dream, honestly. I came from an Integra with manual everything. This car does everything on its own. The Navigation pops out from the dash, the Bluetooth option kills the music automatically during phone calls, and the memory settings are great. I really could go on for a while, but I will keep the zealous comments to myself.

So without further a due, I give you my new Infiniti G35 Sedan:

May, 31, 2006 (pickup)

Interior

-Zaino Z26 (7oz Z10; 1oz Z16) on leather, vinyl, rubber, plastic
-Klasse AIO (pre-VOC) on chrome, aluminum, clear plastic, and glass

Exterior

-Z7 Wash
-Valu-Gard New Car Prep (solvent); spray on, let dwell for 2 mins, wipe clean (for plastic residue)
-Klasse AIO by hand (no swirls/mars ) on everything from the paint, wheels, windows, exhaust, and all plastic/rubber trim
-Zaino Z5 Pro x 3 (ZFX’d) on everything…

-Zaino Z16 on tires/wells

Cheers !

Last edited by G35stilez; 06-05-2006 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:21 PM
Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forums! Very nice pictures also!

Old 06-05-2006, 05:23 PM
Concours d'Elegance
stylez: Thank you.

Just a quick "Hello" to Picus and mrecktid from Autopia.

Old 06-05-2006, 06:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
congrats!

that was some nice paint on the integra!

I wish I had a new car again

welcome

Old 06-05-2006, 06:02 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't you love being "that guy" at the dealership?

Old 06-05-2006, 06:17 PM
workin...

nice ride! those pics made me fall in love with my '06 sedan all over again

Old 06-05-2006, 06:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sorry to spoil the joy, but looks like you got the pathetic, crappy turanzas as tires for your 06 6mt..... what happened to the goodyear nct5's.... unless you wanted the all-season turanzas to begin with, then I'll stop yapping and say "to each his own".... Nice car and detail work by the way.... i need mine's detailed, just haven't got the time to do it....

Old 06-05-2006, 06:46 PM
nice pics...great detail work!

I had the same dilemma as u when I was chosing my 04 G35X. In fact, I looked at all the cars u mentioned as well. \and no regrets with my decision.....just need to save more for mods

Old 06-05-2006, 07:22 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by G35stilez
stylez: Thank you.

Just a quick "Hello" to Picus and mrecktid from Autopia.
Gratz, Sean.....Looks like Picus got his hands on it.....
Welcome to 'Driver and enjoy the new ride.
C.

Old 06-05-2006, 07:24 PM
workin...

Originally Posted by FenixL1P
sorry to spoil the joy, but looks like you got the pathetic, crappy turanzas as tires for your 06 6mt..... what happened to the goodyear nct5's.... unless you wanted the all-season turanzas to begin with, then I'll stop yapping and say "to each his own".... Nice car and detail work by the way.... i need mine's detailed, just haven't got the time to do it....
the 06 sport pkg sedans come with turanza ER33's... they are summer performance tires... rather they're in that class

Old 06-05-2006, 07:46 PM
Banned
congrats i came from a
1995 gsr to 03 g35 black/black
what a world of difference in the cars

and your gf's name is Liz too???

Last edited by LuXXXz; 06-05-2006 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:07 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by G35stilez
Dude, you've got a trail of water drying at the weatherstripping at the corner of the door.

Just messing around. Beautiful car. Enjoy it.

Old 06-05-2006, 08:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Very nice and congrats on your new ride....

Old 06-05-2006, 08:22 PM
<------------jealous

Old 06-05-2006, 08:25 PM
Nice Pics!! Congrats...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ‘Goodbye’ Integra, ‘Hello’ G35 ; a buy/sell story