G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Anyone have a bike rack on their sedan?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 07:01 PM
Why do I bother to DIY???
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have this rack on now (it's in my garage) - had it on all winter, but come summer...removed it. Go figure!

Anyway, I never experienced any issues w/ scratching the paint, and I had it on for two years. The tape that came with the Yakima rack was pretty cheap...it quickly rolled/slid up the clip. But even with the roll-up, the tape is still the only part touching the car.

I had a hook-up at Yakima, but if I had known the Thule had rubber-dipped clips, I might have gone that route instead just to be safe. I ended up getting a pair of the King Cobra bike mounts (http://www.yakima.com/Product.aspx?id=13) - but I think its a bit overkill (I chose it because of the cable lock + roll-on application). Plus the mounts aren't aerodynamically sound as there's a 6 inch long part that sticks 90 degrees up when it is folded flat, making a wall and also looking quite bulky. I do love the red that Yakima uses as it enhances the sporty nature of it.

Here are some pics without the bike mounts...(sorry they're not the best)..if I put the rack back on, I'll take more pics.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone have a bike rack on their sedan?-dscf2012_plate_sm_sm.jpg   Anyone have a bike rack on their sedan?-dscf1970_sm_sm.jpg   Anyone have a bike rack on their sedan?-dscf1978_plate_sm_sm.jpg   Anyone have a bike rack on their sedan?-dscf1977_sm_sm.jpg  
Old 06-11-2006, 01:43 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
^^Nice G. How much did you pay for the wheels? Stock size tires?

Any rubbing? did you alter rear lip?

Attached Thumbnails Anyone have a bike rack on their sedan?-threadjacking.jpg  
Old 06-11-2006, 11:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ended up with a trailer hitch and a rack on the hitch. This works great. The hitch was a custom job. It was set back up behind the rear bumper and all you can see is the square hitch receiver when the rack is not on the car. I have a Thule 4 bike rack and have had 3 bikes on it with no problem. Still able to access the trunk and they stay put at 130km cruising with no problems. Having it on the back also stops having any scratches trying to get the bikes up top on a roof rack.

Old 06-11-2006, 01:12 PM
that rack looks pretty good. i am not a fan of the spoilers on our cars at all but for some reason that rack makes the spoiler look good.

Old 06-12-2006, 02:15 AM
Originally Posted by BigSash
that rack looks pretty good. i am not a fan of the spoilers on our cars at all but for some reason that rack makes the spoiler look good.
Thanks! - I do also think it makes the spoiler look better (I think this comment was directed towards my pics...your posting is pretty good too!).

I really did like the rack on it...got a couple comments from a hardcore G35 coupe and M3 guy saying it looked pretty good "makes the car sportier". But I decided to stop posing and take them off until I really went mtn. biking.

Old 06-12-2006, 02:23 AM
thread jack :) - wheel/tire size answer

Originally Posted by Texan1
^^Nice G. How much did you pay for the wheels? Stock size tires?

Any rubbing? did you alter rear lip?
Thanks! They are stock size tires (225/40 f + 245/40 r). The backs rubbed, so I had to roll it just a bit. NOT a good idea as my brother and I tried to do it ourselves and the roll is not clean. I think I should have let it rub and just got new tires when they wore out - going for a 245/35 on the rears. Personally, the rear tire is a bit too fat for my taste...the lower profile (35) would look more proportionate to the front profile plus probably not rub. Incidentally, my suspension is the Z suspension...but the rear looks like it dropped more than 1 inch to me. I think the large rear tire size is filling up about 1/4 inch of the wheel well and causing the rub too.

Re: costs, I paid too much for these rims from another forum member. Plus one was damaged during shipping (scratches/grooves due to poor packaging), and even though it was touted as mint/perfect condition, they were far from it - one was even missing the center cap! (ended up buying a set off ebay for cheap). If I had to do it all over again, I would've did a local pick-up only so that I could inspect the rims.

Old 06-12-2006, 03:08 AM
Rocket: I also have wide tires like you on a full 2005 Z suspension.
I bought a professional fender rolling tool to do the roll and it wokred a charm. I have rented the roller to a few forum members to do their jobs. I only charge $40 for the rental which is substantially less than the other few on the web.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you are interested.

Old 06-12-2006, 04:26 AM
Originally Posted by BigSash
Rocket: I also have wide tires like you on a full 2005 Z suspension.
I bought a professional fender rolling tool to do the roll and it wokred a charm. I have rented the roller to a few forum members to do their jobs. I only charge $40 for the rental which is substantially less than the other few on the web.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you are interested.
Thanks for the offer - PM sent!