G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

G35 - Just Another Nissan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 06:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 - Just Another Nissan

I have had my Silver G35 6MT Sedan since Feb. of this year. I'm assuming that it was one of the first 6 speed sedans to come over to the USA. Since then I've had nothing but continual problems with the car.</p>

A little background: In March of 2002 I purchased a beautiful jet black 2002 Maxima SE 6-speed. After about 1 month of ownership, I had to have the clutch replaced. The dealership that I bought the car from gave me a ludicrous hassle during the entire clutch replacement process. After the terrible experience with this dealership, I decided to take business elsewhere. Long story short, I went though 2 defective clutches, 4 dealerships, a front left strut, and a neverending cycle of recalls. All of this after only 7000 miles on the car. After all of this hassle I traded in the Maxima for the G35 thinking that I would have a "better built car with top notch service."</p>

Well, after owning the G for a mere 3 months, the problems started again. My front driver side door handle on the outside stopped working one morning. So I took the car into the dealership to get it fixed. They happily fixed the problem and provided a rental car during the time that they had the vehicle. 3 days later, all of my instrument gauges stopped responding. I had no tach, speedo, fuel, or temp gauge... not to mention the fact that my engine cooling fan kept kicking on and off and the A/C didnt work. I carefully drove the car to the dealership and explained them the problem. They were very accomodating and again provided a loaner for a job that was supposed to take 2 days. I got a call the 2nd day saying the part that they needed was going to take 3 weeks for delivery and the car was "undrivable." So... I drove an I35 for three weeks only to have them tell me that they not only need the gauge cluster computer but that they need to order the VDC computer as well. Another week spent in the auto I35. Finally, after a month, I get my car back and rid myself of the hulking I35.</p>

As soon as I get in the car, there are deep scratch marks all over the instrument panel glass (plexi-glass). Back inside I went to have a nice argument with the service manager. Fed up with the lack of quality work done by this dealership, I take my car to another Infiniti dealership in the area and explain to them my problem. they are also accomodating and say they will ahve a part in 2 days to fix it. 2 days later I drop my car off and pick up my ump-teenth loaner. 5 pm that day I pick up my freshly washed and repaired G. It rains later that night and the next day I decided to rinse off the car with a wet sponge to get all of the streak marks off of it. As I wet the car and run the sponge along the hood, the sponge almost STICKS to the damn hood as I go to wash the surface. After a close inspecion, I realize there are millions of tiny <u>flecks of gold overspray</u> all over the hood and entire front of the car. It just so happens that the body shop at the 2nd dealership was careless with their spray job of another car and let it drift all over MY car.</p>

This time, I had had enough. I called and sent out letters to the managers of each dealership letting them know of everything that had happened. What have I heard back from them? "Im very sorry about your troubles." THATS IT. Im now fighing with the service manager of the 2nd dealership to have them buff out or wet sand my car to get the overspray off. Yet, "since I didnt purchase my car there", I dont seem to be having much luck.</p>

I guess the next step is to write Infiniti's corporate offices. I am so fed up with the LACK of quality service by Nissan / Infiniti and don't know where to turn. I leased this G and am very seriously thinking of getting out of the lease and finding another car. I love the actual car and am just depressed about the quality and service of Nissan and it's affiliates.</p>

Thank you all for listing to my rant. I wish you all better luck than I've had.

Aux

Silver 6MT Sedan in NJ

Old 09-25-2003, 08:05 PM
Re: G35 - Just Another Nissan

That is some serious trouble, sorry to hear it.

If there is a lemon-law in your state, and if it applies to leases, look into it. In CA, the law states that if your car is in service for 30 days or more during the first year, or if you have to have the same problem worked on more than three times, you can return the car and get all your money back, including interest payments.

03.5 Coupe - Black/Willow, 6MT, Premium, Navi, Aero, Sat

Old 09-25-2003, 08:39 PM

Get rid of your G.....

Ivory Pearl/Premium/Xenon/

Old 09-25-2003, 09:04 PM

I've already looked into the lemon law here in NJ. Its been in the shop for different things each time and it was only "officially" in their possession for 28 days. Guess that shows you how serious i am about getting rid of it.

Silver 6MT Sedan in NJ

Old 09-25-2003, 10:06 PM

That is horrible. I would definetly get rid of the car if I could, hopefully you can use the Lemon Law in your state.

Old 09-25-2003, 10:24 PM
jcv
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

auxnuke, tough luck with the problems. Look at the site for Langka, they make a remover that easily and safely should remove the overspray without buffing or sanding or damaging your paint.

http://www.langka.com/newsite/index2.html

If you think you have problems, just go to one of the Honda boards for 7th Gen Accord . I own one also and it took three different cars before I accepted one from the dealer due to paint issues. Or the RX8????.

Old 09-25-2003, 10:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Although most of us here love our G's, if I were you I'd have to say that I'd go shopping at another brand soon.

I was an owner of a 2002 Acura TL that had a failed tranny at 17K, failed fuel injection "something" and warped rotors at 18K... and that's with my wife as the driver. My tranny failed fairly early, right around the time Acura extended the warranty on the tranny to 100K, but driving 30K per year, that was a short warranty for me. Believing Acura to me a brand of integrity, I figured "what the hell" it's Honda, so reliability and dependability goes without saying. However, being open about the tranny issue was not something Honda was ready to do. They admitted that approx 1 million vehicles in the Honda/Acura line were at risk for premature tranny failures so they extended the warranty.

What they would not do is give details about the cause of the premature failure. I wanted these details so I could have peace of mind that the tranny would not fail again, especially since there was a safety issue... with some owners, the tranny locked up while travelling highway speeds...total loss of control at 80mph. Acura still would provide no details, only that the tranny was redesigned slightly to address the premature failure. Some speculated that the tranny internals were simply beefed up to last longer, and the design never changed. Who knew the truth? And Acura was not forthcoming.

After that, every little sound or vibration on the TL made me skeptical about it's reliability. By this time I had stopped my wife and kids from travelling in it....how could I possibly enjoy a car if I can't have peace of mind? So as great as the TL was, I had to dump it and pick up a G.

I really like the new '04 TL and the current MDX, but my recent negative experiences will stop me from supporting the Honda/Acura brand for a long time.

So I think II know how you feel... car ownership should be enjoyable for us enthusiasts... so if the G does not provide that enjoyment, find a brand that will... you will not regret it.

<font color=red>chinee</font color=red>
2003.5 G35s

Old 09-26-2003, 12:16 AM

ChineeI have to applaud that great unbiased opinion.

My company has a Honda Odessey, CR-V and my boss is on his 2nd S2000. The Odessey is on its 3rd tranny, the CR-V has a recall due to potential lockup on highway and my bosses 1st S2000 had some tranny issues. I have always regarded Honda as one of the most reliable cars out there, but after hearing the trouble with the TL as well, I also would be very hesitant to trust Honda. I would have actually bought a TL-S if they were made in a stick, but at the time my '01 Maxima was the only other logical choice for an enthusiast on a budget.

Now I have a 6mt G on order and I hope I don't have the same issues.

AuxNuke as far as another brand is concerned there's the big dilema. The next most reliable car would be a Lexus or Toyota, but if you bought the Max and then the G for the same reasons I did, then neither Lexus or Toyota have a car exiting enough to offer. Much less in a manual tranny. The only other alternative I see is getting a BMW IMHO.

Being that you do love your car, if your problems are not fixed then I would recommend that you try going corporate and see if they will replace the car and give it another try. I would hate to give up my G, and hate to have to look for another car that's right for me, since there are so few.

I wish you the best of luck AuxNuke.

Old 09-26-2003, 08:21 AM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That's really a sad story. I've got 28,000 miles on my G35
sedan, and it seems like the car is just getting better all
the time. Seems that you have had a string of bad luck,
in all I've had very good experiences with Nissan/Infiniti.
My Altima lasted 10 years/154,000 miles, our Maxima is
rock solid and dependable and the G is more fun to drive
with every day of ownership.

2003 Twilight Blue 5AT Sedan, sunroof,
Graphite Leather, splashguards,
GG/DB red 12 wire Hyper-grounding kit,
350Z intake duct, Stillen Hi-Flow Airbox

Old 09-26-2003, 08:26 AM

I guess some people just aren't meant to be G owners. I've owned my G since 11/02 and haven't had one single problem. Thus, I have nothing but praise for this vehicle and its manufacturer. Better luck with your next car.

Old 09-26-2003, 10:52 AM

That's a tough situation you're in. The G is a good car, you're just dealing with some really bad service. In my town, the local TV News have a sort of consumer-advocate division where they'll help to fix things like this. Maybe you could call them up and see if there's anything you can do. In regards to the paint from the body shop - they should definitely fix that problem. I'm sure you could get a lawyer to help if necessary. You should definitely lodge a complaint with the Better Business Bureau as well. I would also contact Infiniti higher up the chain. Ask them for the regional manager and take your complaint there. If the local clowns aren't helping you out, escallate up their chain of command. I guarantee you that Nissan/Infiniti does not want you to have this kind of experience. Letters sent through the postal mail carry a log of weight. Write letters, make phone calls, go as high up the chain as you can. The squeeky wheel gets the grease in situations like this.

-townsley-
2003 Brilliant Silver Premium Sedan
Z Inlet, K&N Filter, Tinted, Grounded

Old 09-26-2003, 10:47 PM

I'm ready to apply the Lemon Law to my G sedan. The brakes warped 6 times in 16,000 miles. And no, I haven't been racing or even beating the car. The fifth time service repaired the brakes, they told me they would no longer perform warranty repairs on my brakes. Guess what? After the letter I sent to Infiniti motors, an arbitrator called and was more than happy (sarcasm) have my car fixed. Oh yeah, did I mention the letter was registered/return reciept? Thats what is required by NJ Lemon Law. They had 10 days from the time they signed for that letter to fix my car or I was automatically entitled to seek a FULL REFUND through the Office of Consumer Protection. It felt great knowing I had Infiniti by the B@!!$. Now all I need is for the brakes to do this one more time. The State of NJ then steps in to assist in some type of resolution to the problem. Don't let them bully you. You payed for a product, and it should function as advertised. I didn't notice where you were from, but check that states laws, and see if they have an Office of Consumer Protection like NJ does.

Old 09-27-2003, 04:35 PM

Sorry to hear about the service. I bought a 02 Altima V-6. I had problem after problem. Finally traded the Altima for the G-35. Its currently in service for the "noise" on the drivers side door. My dealership offered me a FX-35 until they find the prob;em. I've had the FX for about three days and I'm still raving to my friends about the quality service Infiniti has offered.

Old 09-28-2003, 05:43 PM

I feel your pain. I've had numerous problems since owning my G as well, mainly recalls. The dealership was slow to do their work and I had to drive 3 different RENTAL's for a couple of weeks. WHY DO THEY NOT FULLY INSPECT EVERY SINGLE THING ON THE VEHICLE BEFORE RELEASING IT FOR SALE?!?!

-wicked
-Black/Black G35 coupe

Old 09-29-2003, 12:27 AM

I understand your pain and fustration. It might be that you and Nissan brand cars don't get along. Kind of how my family has bad luck with Honda cars. Also I have no problems with Sony products at all and my college roommate has every Sony product breaks with a year of purchasing them. If you still don't get any response from Infiniti I would get a lawyer involved. Good Luck!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 - Just Another Nissan