G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Installed Unrevised Z SpringsYesterday

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 10:17 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by jameyb
No, there is no difference in performance. The spring rates of the coupe springs I have are the same as both the stock sedan sports springs and z springs I had. The ride is pretty much exactly the same as stock (that's the way I wanted it).

If you went with a revised Z spring setup (including shocks/struts) you probably would see better handling with a stiffer ride as compared to the sedan sports suspension. However, even with the revised setup both the z and coupe springs have the same spring rate so I assume there would be no difference other than the amount of drop.
]

Thanks for the response... sounds like unrevised Z springs all around will be a good consideration for my needs... do you think there will be an issue with non-sport shocks? Even with the unrevised version springs?

Old 11-29-2006, 10:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
]

Thanks for the response... sounds like unrevised Z springs all around will be a good consideration for my needs... do you think there will be an issue with non-sport shocks? Even with the unrevised version springs?
I honestly can't say since I don't have any experience with the non-sport sedan suspension. I would imagine you will wear your shocks faster but I am not sure if there will be any other negative effects on handling due non-sport shocks/struts inability to properly dampen the higher rated springs.

You can probably find some used sedan sports shocks for pretty cheap, however, if you go that route you might want to think about getting a full z or coupe suspension.

Old 11-30-2006, 01:48 AM
ive read all the posts on z springs on our sedans.. but how come i dont hear anyone talkin about getting the complete coilover suspension.. i.e Tien.? just wondering. because i like the slammed look.. personal taste.. and with these adjustables i can choose my height.

Old 11-30-2006, 02:54 AM
I think the cost of the coilovers and the need for camber kits(also expensive) is why some ppl can't justify paying. I know i won't be getting coilovers for the G for that reason. Although i got Tein coilovers for my Accord for $900(which isn't bad).

Old 11-30-2006, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by aznazzman
ive read all the posts on z springs on our sedans.. but how come i dont hear anyone talkin about getting the complete coilover suspension.. i.e Tien.? just wondering. because i like the slammed look.. personal taste.. and with these adjustables i can choose my height.
As stated above, to some people it is just not what they want or worth the expense. I wanted to drop my car 1" and keep ride quality near stock. For just over $100 I accomplished all of my goals.

Old 11-30-2006, 10:16 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by aznazzman
For most here, their eye's are satisfied with a 1" drop. It's a added plus that you didn't spend a ton of money and a rewarding surprise that the ride and drive quality didn't take a hit either. Something that won't alway's be the case with even just a aftermarket spring install.

I highly recommend that for the "slammed" look, that you invest in coilovers known to have the drop range your looking for. Trying that look with shocks and springs is a very bad idea because of issues dealing with less and less of already slim amounts of shock stroke. Meaning that I would be more inclined to steer you towards a coilover system that adjust's ride height by changing the length of the dampners.

Old 11-30-2006, 10:26 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
]

Yes.

Non-sport sedan shocks ply the unfortunate path of compromising dampning performance in a attempt to gain ride comfort vs commiting more R&D time at the factory level to get the valving right. I didn't find the non sport suspension all that softer then the oem sport suspension so much as I found it's shocks more poorly valved. Adding more spring stiffness, would be a receipe to make things worse.

I am with anyone that want's to do things without spending money without cause, but at the very least I would recommend a upgrade to oem sport shocks, revised oem Z shocks, or 05/06 G coupe shocks off a donor car with oem 19's. Tokico D-specs would be better still of course, and IMO well worth the $500 investment.

Old 11-30-2006, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by Gsedan35
Yes.

Non-sport sedan shocks ply the unfortunate path of compromising dampning performance in a attempt to gain ride comfort vs commiting more R&D time at the factory level to get the valving right. I didn't find the non sport suspension all that softer then the oem sport suspension so much as I found it's shocks more poorly valved. Adding more spring stiffness, would be a receipe to make things worse.

I am with anyone that want's to do things without spending money without cause, but at the very least I would recommend a upgrade to oem sport shocks, revised oem Z shocks, or 05/06 G coupe shocks off a donor car with oem 19's. Tokico D-specs would be better still of course, and IMO well worth the $500 investment.
Thanks for the input… looks as though I don’t have the easy option I was hoping for. Would revised springs AND shocks be a good choice or would the ride be too harsh/stiff?… From what I’ve gathered my choices are:

1) Unrevised Z springs with OEM sport shocks, revised Z shocks or late model G coupe shocks

2) Unrevised springs with Tokico D-Spec

Or possibly?…

3) Revised Z springs and shocks (not sure is this is a viable option)

Old 11-30-2006, 03:09 PM
Revised Z springs and shocks (i.e. a full z suspension) is a very viable setup. Your sedan would ride like a Z. A lot of people here run this setup and really like it.

Old 11-30-2006, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by jameyb
Revised Z springs and shocks (i.e. a full z suspension) is a very viable setup. Your sedan would ride like a Z. A lot of people here run this setup and really like it.
right on - thanks... I have been searching here and my 350Z and hadn't seen many posts with revised shocks and springs (just unrevised springs)... I'll have to keep looking... thanks for the feedback.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:59 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i've got full revised z spring setup and it rides better than stock but no where as stiff as a z... maybe the weight and the d-specs has something to do with this.

Old 12-01-2006, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by FenixL1P
i've got full revised z spring setup and it rides better than stock but no where as stiff as a z... maybe the weight and the d-specs has something to do with this.
With D-spec I'm not as concerned I am wondering about full suspension: revised shocks and springs... After researching out here and getting some feedback - I'm about 90% sure I'm just gonna put Eibach Pro Kit on.

Thanks for your response.

Old 12-01-2006, 11:34 AM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
With D-spec I'm not as concerned I am wondering about full suspension: revised shocks and springs... After researching out here and getting some feedback - I'm about 90% sure I'm just gonna put Eibach Pro Kit on.

Thanks for your response.
I'm torn also, but my alternative choice to the Z springs is the Tein 350z H-Techs.

Old 12-03-2006, 06:36 PM
OK, I've read all six pages of this thread and I find myself thoroughly confused. Will unrevised springs and shocks from a 2003 Z work for suspension replacement on an '06 non-sport sedan?

Old 12-03-2006, 06:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by marty315
OK, I've read all six pages of this thread and I find myself thoroughly confused. Will unrevised springs and shocks from a 2003 Z work for suspension replacement on an '06 non-sport sedan?
Yes it will. Be sure to get the shocks or buy aftermarket.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installed Unrevised Z SpringsYesterday