G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Why No Manual Trans for AWD Model?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 06:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why No Manual Trans for AWD Model?

I current own a stock 4thGen Maxima SE and absolutely love it. Not crazy about the new Altimas/Maximas. The G35 Sedan looks like the next car for me.

My question is, why no manual transmission option for the AWD model? Is the AWD simply insuffciently robust to handle performance driving? Basically I'm looking for a Nissan equivalent of the Audi S/RS4.

Thanks,
DrCR

Old 08-30-2006, 11:23 AM
get the audi.
I did, lots more fun than the G!

Old 08-30-2006, 01:12 PM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by ajayjuneja
get the audi.
I did, lots more fun than the G!
That was a sweet ride man... sweeeeeet.. but soooo much more $$$ than the G.

Old 08-30-2006, 01:56 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
If you are looking for a sporty AWD then Audi would be the best choice. They have a nice mix between both comfort and sport. My best friend just got rid of his 01' S4 for an 05' S4. They are very nice. The G is a great car with a great engine but would not be my choice for an AWD car.

Old 08-30-2006, 04:02 PM
I drove Audi A4 3.0 LTR manual transmission and its sucks ... i think the automatics are good but way too pricey , BMW is a better bet

Old 08-30-2006, 04:02 PM
Rollin On Dubz
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The demand isn't high enough

Old 08-30-2006, 04:03 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
IMHO, Nissan's rear baised AWD system is superior to Audi front biased AWD.

Old 08-30-2006, 04:43 PM
Well, yeah, the S/RS4 is a lot more expensive; the biggy for me is reliability though. After owning my 4thGen Maxima, I just won't settle for an unreliable or expensive to maintain car and my Maxima has been excellent in both regards for me. Didn't realize the Audi was FWD biased. I prefer a RWD bias anyway.

How much would it be to drop the manual trans into the AWD model? Would it even fit? Is the manual no option because the AWD system could get blown by a manual trans, or is it a demand issue as MikeyMike brought up?

ttrank, I know Audi wrote the book for AWD, but why don't you like the G35 AWD? Is it not very good? I guess I just assumed it was good based on what I've heard of the Skyline in the past. I'm sold on the benefits of AWD (mainly due to watching TopGear lol), but if it's no good then I might as well go for the 6MT.

I guess I'm really looking for a reliable AWD, more than just a Nissan AWD. Got excited when I saw the G35AWD and how affordable it is. But if there are other reliable and affordable AWD (e.g. not Audi) cars I should consider then by all means let me know. Just looked at Subaru and I didn't realize they were as affordable as they are, though they look underpowered overall. Maybe they are just really light weight? The 250hp Legacy looks nice. Not as powerful as the Impreza WRX but not riced either. Anyone know how reliable they are compared to the Japanese big-three?

DrCR

Last edited by DrCR; 08-30-2006 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:19 PM
Nissan makes manual tranny 4wd Xterras. The issue isn't durability. There just arn't many people willing to spend the extra cash for a 4wd g that will weigh more, get even worse mileage and may be slower. The sales just aren't there. I don't even know why they made the auto X.

Last edited by Ivory056MT; 08-30-2006 at 05:21 PM.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ivory056MT
Nissan makes manual tranny 4wd Xterras. The issue isn't durability. There just arn't many people willing to spend the extra cash for a 4wd g that will weigh more, get even worse mileage and may be slower. The sales just aren't there. I don't even know why they made the auto X.
You must live in a warm climate, there are many X's in the Northeast. The demand for a 6MT X probably isn't there though.

I would have to imagine the cost to convert to a 6MT would be very expensive. There is much more work than just dropping in a new trans.

Old 08-30-2006, 06:00 PM
Yeah, I see you point Ivory. I'm not looking for an SUV, though my Dad is waiting for the Xterra diesel option so he can utilize biodiesel fuel. (Every time you fill up, you're supporting terrorists. Every time you fill up with biodiesel, you're supporting our farmers).

I'm not up north, but where I live we get a _lot_ of rain and combine that with hilly topography, RWD are a bit out of their element. I all too often appreciate the FWD of my Maxima rather than lamenting it isn't RWD.

Philly, just what would I need to do to turn the AWD into an AWD "SE" if you will? New brakes, new springs and shocks...that's all I can think of besides dropping in a manual. Wouldn't personally be interested in laying down the cash for the engine performance difference between the AWD and 6MT.

Old 08-30-2006, 06:47 PM
Isn't the ATTESA ET-S also found in the GT-R? I'm sure the GT-R is manual? I think it's a demand issue. I actually just bought a 2006 G35x coming from a 2003 Maxima SE. For me, I need the AWD because I live in Canada. The plus side is that the ATTESA ET-S can go 0:100 to the rear and Quattro can't. I also read somewhere that Automobile Magazine did a comparison between a G35 versus G35x and a Audi A4 versus an Audi A4 Quattro (can't remember which engine they tested) but the conclusion is that under slippery condition, AWD is obviously faster and the G35x was faster than the Quattro. And if you're concerned about reliability, DON'T get an Audi! Just read Consumer Reports and/or JD Power. The Infiniti also comes with a better warranty.

Old 08-30-2006, 06:51 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Yes. The AWD in the G is a derivative from the GT-R etc... But I don't think they can use the same tranny. For one the case has a bolt pattern for a RB series. We of course use the VQ series engines.

Old 08-30-2006, 08:19 PM
[QUOTE=Philly_G35]You must live in a warm climate, QUOTE]

Yea, I'm in Florida. We do get plenty of rain, just no hills. And the roads are in great shape, they rarely freeze over.

JH

Old 08-30-2006, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
IMHO, Nissan's rear baised AWD system is superior to Audi front biased AWD.
The new B7 S4 and RS4 have more rear-wheel bias unlike the old models of which you speak.

If I were in the situation I'd get the RS4.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why No Manual Trans for AWD Model?