G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

e-fan conversion - dyno results!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 12:27 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by G35_TX
It's only teh 1000th time he has attacked people on this forum. Not like he is lieing.
I'm not trying to attack anyone. I even thanked Andy for doing the comparison. Unfortunately, the data is such that we can't do a valid comparison.

Yes, I'm one of the few on this site that does question the benefit of a lot of mods available for this car. The same thing went on Maxima.org. I'm either liked or hated. There is no gray area with me and that's fine. At least people know where I stand. I'm not just going to take someone's word that a mod works. I need to see some valid data. If you see what I say as negative, then so be it. I just think some people need to see both sides before investing money and time into mods. Isn't the point of a power enhancing mod to actually increase power and make the car faster?

Now if Andy's dyno ended all runs at the same rpm and the e-fan mod did elevate the power, then I'm man enough to admit I'm wrong concerning this mod. With the data we have, we really can't draw a conclusion as to if does or doesn't work. For all we know, the pre-fan dyno could be making more power above 6300rpms than the e-fan, but we don't have that data.

BTW, where's your justification that mod works. You never responded me.

Last edited by DaveB; 09-04-2006 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:31 PM
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Justification? I got mine from DaveO a long time ago. In another topic, if you want the proof, just contact him yourself.

Originally Posted by DaveB
I'm not trying to attack anyone. I even thanked Andy for doing the comparison. Unfortunately, the data is such that we can't do a valid comparison.

Yes, I'm one of the few on this site that does question the benefit of a lot of mods available for this car. The same thing went on Maxima.org. I'm either liked or hated. There is no gray area with me and that's fine. At least people know where I stand. I'm not just going to take someone's word that a mod works. I need to see some valid data. If you see what I say as negative, then so be it. I just think some people need to see both sides before investing money and time into mods. Isn't the point of a power enhancing mod to actually increase power and make the car faster?

Now if Andy's dyno ended all runs at the same rpm and the e-fan mod did elevate the power, then I'm man enough to admit I'm wrong concerning this mod. With the data we have, we really can't draw a conclusion as to if does or doesn't work. For all we know, the pre-fan dyno could be making more power above 6300rpms than the e-fan, but we don't have that data.

BTW, where's your justification that mod works. You never responded me.

Old 09-04-2006, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by G35_TX
Justification? I got mine from DaveO a long time ago. In another topic, if you want the proof, just contact him yourself.
I did ask him. His response was it works and if you don't believe it then don't do it. He never gave any dyno data. All he said was his butt dynos and G-tech runs showed improvement. Even though DaveO is a knowledgeable guy, his response is not good enough for me.

Old 09-04-2006, 01:10 PM
and the controversy continues....

Old 09-04-2006, 02:15 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
This fan mod should work. Why do you think they came up with the "Flex" fans that change pitch at higher RPM? If you take the fan out of the equation, you will get more crank hp. Simple. Sure there will be more drag on the alternator, but not as much as a direct drive fan.

Old 09-04-2006, 03:17 PM
Premier Member

I did ask him. His response was it works and if you don't believe it then don't do it. He never gave any dyno data. All he said was his butt dynos and G-tech runs showed improvement. Even though DaveO is a knowledgeable guy, his response is not good enough for me.
Well, thats his way of telling you flat out he doesn't want to help you probably because of some of the stuff you have said in the past.

Old 09-04-2006, 03:55 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The fan change will not increase the horsepower output of the engine much, It will (like a lightened flywheel) allow the engine to reach it's HP potential sooner and increase the acceleration of the car. You wont see much in the dyno because in higher gears the change is negligible. You will feel it in the butt dyno as the performance increase is substantial in the lower gears.

Check out "How do lightened flywheels affect power?" here http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/august06/ask_sarah/

Last edited by HwyDrftr; 09-04-2006 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:18 PM
My horns hold up my halo
Dave, if you don't think it will work then by all means DaveO is right - don't try it. That is most certainly your option. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I would say it is a bit much for someone to tell others not to do it just because the evidence isn't enough for the person telling them not to do it. NOTE- I am saying that in general not to a specific incident. I am merely stating my *full* opinion.

Russ, while I have absolutely nothing against you and talk with you often, I am quite upset at your statement regarding DaveO. I have a real problem with people speaking for others in general first off and secondly, I assure you that DaveO can speak quite well for himself.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled reading.....

Old 09-04-2006, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by Mike@DW
Hahaha....I know Dave from back in our Maxima days. I like him and he generally knows his stuff. I guess you could call it an inside joke since he always got crap back on maxima.org. I have no issue with him or what he posted, I agree with him.

-Mike
Damn, he had you fooled even then. He's already proven several times on this forum that he knows little or nothing about the G35's VQ engine or its AT.

Just for once I'd like to see the clueless one fully test a G35 modification before declaring it doesn't work. Just once!

Old 09-04-2006, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by trey's wife
Dave, if you don't think it will work then by all means DaveO is right - don't try it. That is most certainly your option. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I would say it is a bit much for someone to tell others not to do it just because the evidence isn't enough for the person telling them not to do it. NOTE- I am saying that in general not to a specific incident. I am merely stating my *full* opinion.
Well, I'd love to add more power to my car especially with something as easy as a fan conversion. DaveO touted this mod as a power gaining mod yet he has no legit data to support his claims. If someone did a dyno and it clearly showed a worthwhile gain (elevated power curve by 5whp+), then I'd probably consider it. But when someone says mod "X" works simply based on principle and technical background, but without any dyno data, it's very hard to accept. I guess I've just been burned WAY too many times by buying into accepted internet claims.

Would you not want a power mod to actually add power? Would you not want proof?

Last edited by DaveB; 09-04-2006 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
This fan mod should work. Why do you think they came up with the "Flex" fans that change pitch at higher RPM? If you take the fan out of the equation, you will get more crank hp. Simple. Sure there will be more drag on the alternator, but not as much as a direct drive fan.
Keep in mind that even with this conversion, the fan pulley still remains so there still is pulley drag. Then you have to factor in the alternator load with the new e-fans. Also, under most all situations, the mechanical fan is not engaged and is free wheeling. The only time it's really sucking out any power is when the clutch is engaged. You can definitely hear it when it's engaged, which usually only occurs in 1st gear on scrouching hot day. I've never heard it come on once while at the track.

Old 09-04-2006, 10:24 PM
The clueless one once again proves cluelessness. Those who understand how the VQ's cooling system works will recognize this immediately. One item for example: once the the mechanical fan is removed the fan pulley becomes the idler pulley on the factory dual fan cars--and the part numbers are the same.

If you don't have a factory service manual, you might want to read the "Keeping the VQ Cool" article in Sport Z. I did and verified how it works in my factory service manual.

Last edited by Earl; 09-04-2006 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:56 PM
Originally Posted by Earl
The clueless one once again proves cluelessness. Those who understand how the VQ's cooling system works will recognize this immediately. One item for example: once the the mechanical fan is removed the fan pulley becomes the idler pulley on the factory dual fan cars--and the part numbers are the same.
Ummm....that's what I was alluding to. A pulley still remains and will still cause accessory drag. When the mechanial fan clutch is not engaged, it's really not causing significantly more additional drag than just an idler pulley like that is used on the e-fan cars. At most, you're probably looking at 1-2hp between an e-fan setup and a mechanical fan. When the mechical fan is engaged, it most likely is sucking out more power than the e-fan setup. I guess if you race on a scalding hot motor from 0-40mph, then the e-fan setup may have it's benefits

Last edited by DaveB; 09-07-2006 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:11 PM
My horns hold up my halo
Well, I'd love to add more power to my car especially with something as easy as a fan conversion. DaveO touted this mod as a power gaining mod yet he has no legit data to support his claims. If someone did a dyno and it clearly showed a worthwhile gain (elevated power curve by 5whp+), then I'd probably consider it. But when someone says mod "X" works simply based on principle and technical background, but without any dyno data, it's very hard to accept. I guess I've just been burned WAY too many times by buying into accepted internet claims.

Would you not want a power mod to actually add power? Would you not want proof?
OK. I see your point here. I'm not certain what the cost on this mod is so this may not be reasonable to say BUT try it anyway. I am certain that I don't have specific dyno proof as to the effect of the catch can on my car but I do know that I would rip your arms off if you tried to take it away from me! lol I think there are a whole lot of really good mods out there that really do work but that doesn't mean that they are going to work for everyone the same way. Assuming it is something that is little effort and reasonably little cost, I'm usually game to try it. You may not feel the same way and by all means that's your right. I understand pointing out that there is no actually dyno proof or data proof for any given mod. Aside from that, if you haven't tried it then you are IMHO overstepping to say it doesn't work. It's reasonable to say you wouldn't do it and give reasons but beyond that you are on shaky ground.

Slightly off topic but FYI - when we went out to Atlanta for the meet at Sharif's we of course got the cars ready the day before. My catch can on my car was FULL and I don't mean it needed to be changed I mean it was *FULL*. We put it on the car within the week after our trip to Florida and I had not driven the car in any way what one would say was hard driving. I mean come on going to Wally World, the gym, and the car pool lane at school isn't exactly exciting. I found it very interesting that with just those conditions I had such a large amount of oil in the catch can in just under a month. I know off topic but it's not like I'm around here much anymore. You may all return to your previous arguments.

Old 09-04-2006, 11:16 PM
My horns hold up my halo
Ummm....that's what I was alluding to. A pulley still remains and will still cause accessory drag. When the mechanial fan clutch is not engaged, it's really causing significnatly more additional drag than just an idler pulley like that is used on the e-fan cars. At most, you're probably looking at 1-2hp between an e-fan setup and a mechanical fan. When the mechical fan is engaged, it most likely is sucking out more power than the e-fan setup. I guess if you race on a scalding hot motor from 0-40mph, then the e-fan setup may have it's benefits
Let's be honest here that the vast majority of "bolt on" mods for these cars don't provide large gains in HP on their own.

One other point to make here is that IIRC DaveO has said that this affects the daily driving aspects of the car's power which we are being intellectually dishonest if we put in the same "slot" as the race related aspects of the car's power.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: e-fan conversion - dyno results!