G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

retrofit projector question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 02:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
retrofit projector question

i have a question about the way you are suppose to dremel and put the projector into the housing. Since sedan owners reflectors/ reflector bracket is different (just found that out) from the coupes i need to see if this is correct. is it suppose to look like this behind the shroud? am i suppose to dremel the reflector itself? thanks.

Attached Thumbnails retrofit projector question-projector.jpg   retrofit projector question-reflector.jpg   retrofit projector question-reflector-projector.jpg  
Old 09-15-2006, 03:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Haha...I have been wondering the same thing. I haven't had a chance to do the project yet, but have been trying to plan it. Did you pull the headlights out, or is that a picture of someone else's lights? Can you post a picture of the back of the headlight reflectors/brackets? That will give me a better idea of how I will approach my install. I think I have an idea for a custom shroud for mine, but I have to go pick up the materials. The TSX projectors keep staring me in the face everytime I go home! Thanks bro...take pics of the install!

Old 09-15-2006, 03:12 PM
you can make a shroud that funnels around the projector to make it look nicer.

more or less you will have to dremel to get the projector in a good position to mount. mount to the housing and not the reflector.

Some people use shrouds from other cars, some use coke cans =D.

is that a tub of protein powder in the background?

Old 09-15-2006, 03:14 PM
yeah khsonic i will those are mine (bought an extra set). i just did the dumbest thing. i took everything apart and put it back together. I put it in the oven at 300 and forgot to turn it off after it preheated. Then to top that off i forgot it was inthere until i smelled the sealeant. . . well the headlight lens melted... so just a warning pay attention to the baking process. next time i think i might just use a heat gun.

Last edited by chinaman_87; 09-15-2006 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:15 PM
lol soaped yeah it is i keep taking but i can't gain sh*t.

Old 09-15-2006, 03:51 PM
i have the same damn problem regarding weight lol.

you can safely bake your headlights at 200-225F. You dont need the glue to be super soft, but at 225 it is soft enough to open.

When you do open the lens, pry evenly from both the top and bottom or the shroud attached the to lens may crack.

Old 09-15-2006, 04:06 PM
yeah i should of just left it at 200 but it didn't seem to be soft enough so i turned it up to 300 but i forgot about it and it melted. oh well lesson learned.

Old 09-15-2006, 04:28 PM
Multi-Spoked Mod
ehh heat gun is good enuff.. just gotta be fast...

Ed Lin

Old 09-15-2006, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by soaped
you can make a shroud that funnels around the projector to make it look nicer.

more or less you will have to dremel to get the projector in a good position to mount. mount to the housing and not the reflector.

Some people use shrouds from other cars, some use coke cans =D.

is that a tub of protein powder in the background?

but wouldn't that mean you'd have to dremel the reflector just so the projector would fit? cause that hole is damn sure not big enough.

Old 09-15-2006, 05:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Where did you buy the second set of headlights from? How much? I am thinking of doing the same thing so I can take my time with this instead of rushing through it in one weekend. At the same time though, I don't want to spend a mint on this project. I saw some on ebay, but they are the cheap ones with the black housings, and I don't know if anyone else has gotten these. My car is my only car, and I can't afford to f these up and be screwed...

Old 09-15-2006, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by G35Lin
ehh heat gun is good enuff.. just gotta be fast...

Ed Lin
haha... you sent me to this thread for wha Ed? lol anyways for others to learn... 300 is usually too hot, and... heat gun creates heat unevenly around the edge.. Quick and easy is to stick it in the oven for 250 degrees for 10 mins. Bingo, there's your answer.

Make sure hte headlights are not touching any metal parts since that's conductive heat right there.. you want convective heat to heat up your headlight.. using the heated air to heat up your headlight and it'll come apart very easily, just don't put too much pressure when you pull it apart or else you'll warp your housings.

Larry

Old 09-15-2006, 11:47 PM
Multi-Spoked Mod
hehehehe.

i know larry can help! :P

Ed Lin

Old 09-16-2006, 01:53 AM
thanks litto devil. khsonic i bought a passenger for 117 shipped great condition. then i was looking for the drivers side for the longest time and came upon a set. so i bought those for 122 shipped (thought i was getting a good deal) when they came they were in very poor condition. I emailed the seller and he said he would refund the amount. So if you buy them on ebay make sure you get losts of pictures.

Old 09-16-2006, 01:55 AM
thanks littodevil. khsonic i got them on ebay, i bought a passenger side the first time and it was in great condition. i was looking for the drivers side for the longest time then i came upon a set and won them at 122 shipped. when they arrived they were trashy but he said i can get a refund. so if you buy from ebay make sure you get a lot of pictures from different angles and take your time.

Originally Posted by chinaman_87
but wouldn't that mean you'd have to dremel the reflector just so the projector would fit? cause that hole is damn sure not big enough.

getting back to that anyone have the answer?

Old 09-16-2006, 02:01 AM
yeah dremel is your friend haha =D. so is JB Weld and superglue lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: retrofit projector question