G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Winshield Cracked Twice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 10:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winshield Cracked Twice

I got my G35 February 2003. Since then I have had two windshields crack. The first one without thinking I replaced on my own $400. Then about a month ago I noticed the same exact crack. It had no evidence of a rock hitting it. So I took it to Infiniti today and the service guy said that he has changed about 15 windshields in the past two months. He said it is a problem with stress. So if u guys encounter this same situation don't be like me and take it to Infiniti first. It is covered under the warranty. My two cents.

Old 10-22-2003, 01:31 PM
Re: Winshield Cracked Twice

I had the same problem. for me it started just about in the middle of the base of the windshield. It was a hairline that started below the plastic/rubber molding and went up. My service guys said that it was a rock even though there were no marks and it started clearly where a rock couldn't hit the car. I'm just lucky that my insurance covered the repair.

Old 10-22-2003, 01:46 PM

I've never heard of that in a car before. Did the service guy say it wsa due to a weak chassis or anything in particular? Do you drive in crappy roads with potholes or many hard twists and turns that could be flexing the chassis?
I drive in those conditions here in NY everyday, but I don't have my G yet. Now I'm worried cuz between rattling windows, painful driver's seats, radio errors, trannies, others and now this it would seem that many of us are suffering from guinnea pig syndrome. After we submit all our complaint's, people buying '05 or '06 models are going to be getting significantly better built cars than ours. My $.02

Is there a new TSB somewhere for this? Anyone else experiencing the same?

Thanks for the heads up, you guys and your helpful info is why I come here.

On Order:
"04 G35S 6MT Diamond Graphite, Full Aero, Navi, Sirius, Winter
Coming Mid October (Hopefully)

Old 10-22-2003, 05:04 PM
Unimaginative, Indecisive User

Isu795... thanks for telling us! your $0.02 will save us $400.

<font color=purple>.g35girl.</font color=purple>

Old 10-26-2003, 12:37 PM

Any ideas on what the root of the problem is yet?

On Order:
"04 G35S 6MT Diamond Graphite on Graphite, Full Aero, Navi, Sirius, Premium Coming Mid October (Hopefully)
Till then still driving: '01 AE Maxima SE 5sp

Old 10-26-2003, 01:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What time of year did this happen, cold or very hot? Also, I have seen a car parked in the hot sun and then it rains on it and it winds up with a cracked windshield.

Brilliant Silver/Graphite '04 Sedan

Old 10-28-2003, 06:29 PM

al503, didn't you know that your windshield is covered under your warranty? And your service guys are full of it too, especially if there is no evidence of a rock's impact. I had a crack on my windshield in the same location as yours. The service guy determined it was due to stress. I got a new one within a days time.

2003 Ivory Pearl/ Sport/ Aero/ Spoiler

Old 10-31-2003, 01:39 AM

It happened to me too after about 2 months owning the car. No rock, no nothing. just cruisin on the highway with no one around and I heard a big pop and my windshield had major cracks. I couldn't see right out in front of me. In florida, insurance companies replace at no charge/deductible.

Old 11-16-2003, 08:51 PM

I had the same thing happen to me to my Feb. 2003 G35 (I posted about it at the time). I was told the same thing by the service guy regarding abnormally high number of cracked windshields on G35s. I wasn't offered a warranty repair, so had to pay deductible on my insurance. You would think insurance companies would monitor number of G35 windshields they are replacing and complain to Infiniti.

Old 11-16-2003, 10:36 PM

I own a 2k4, and I can say when I'm really bumping the stereo, the back windshield seems to rattle an awful lot. I'm always afraid it will just burst to pieces. I haven't had any problems w/the front windshield.

-edit- I'm sorry. I forgot I was in the sedan forum. I have a coupe...so I don't know what's happening w/you guys. Sorry to hear of these troubles.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by Serum on 11/16/03 07:38 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 01-24-2004, 09:27 PM

I hate to resurrect an old thread, but you said your windshield cracked twice in the same spot, where exactly was that spot? I think mine cracked from a stone hit today, I heard a loud noise, but didn't show up until a short time later, and I don't see an impact point, just curious here!

Brilliant Silver/Graphite '04 Sedan/5AT

Old 01-25-2004, 05:01 PM

I've had my sedan for 14 months. 2 windshields have been replaced due to being hit by rocks. Last month my sunroof shattered for no reason. $1500 to replace it at the dealer. Glass went into the headliner and it had to be pulled down to remove it all. Then $1000 in paint damage from the flying glass hitting the roof and trunk lid. $2500 for a broken sunroof. I'll never get another car with one again. Luckily my insurance co. is awesome and only had to pay the $500 deductible. Infiniti does not cover it at all. Great car, but bad luck with glass so far.

Old 01-25-2004, 06:57 PM

Wow, I have never heard of a sunroof shattering, I wonder what caused that, I have had vehicles with them before! I think the rock problem isn't limited to our G35's, this one I have now, may not have been a rock, but we'll see, I am going to run it by the dealer before calling my insurance! The sunroof was covered under you comprehensive, right? Should have been! I see cracked windshields all over the place around here!

Old 01-26-2004, 08:50 PM

Okay, went to have the windshield checked out today, and it does turn out there is a point of impact, just didn't see it because it is right at the bottom at the seal, like how the hell did a stone get down there, under the wiper, geez! Also, the glass place asked me about my mirror, when they ordered the windshield, it asked if I had the monochromatic mirror ( I think that is how it was worded) wonder what the difference would be? Hmmmmm, anyone know that?

Old 01-26-2004, 09:58 PM

All they want to know is whether you have the autodimming rear view mirror. The mount is different. If you have the premium package, then you have the autodim type.

I have had both windshields replaced by the insurance for no deductible or out of pocket. I didnt even ask about comprehensive on the sunroof. Dont want to push my luck.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Winshield Cracked Twice