G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Z-tube/pc spoils air flow sensor? other flaws?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 07:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Z-tube/pc spoils air flow sensor? other flaws?

i am thinking of getting a z-tube/ JWT pop charger set up after reading/researching lot of threads on this topic here, but then i heard that this setup spits out oil which can spoil you air flow sensors.......i will appreciate response from people who are already using this set up as what flaws it has and what to watch out for...

Old 10-23-2006, 07:36 PM
Question

I'd be curious to hear the outcome of this too... I thinking about ordering one of these soon. Not too sure how the hole setup will be with northern winters and rain. The Southern Ontario weather can be a real interesting mix. I'll probably do the Z-tube eitherway.

Old 10-23-2006, 07:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cometohell
i am thinking of getting a z-tube/ JWT pop charger set up after reading/researching lot of threads on this topic here, but then i heard that this setup spits out oil which can spoil you air flow sensors.......i will appreciate response from people who are already using this set up as what flaws it has and what to watch out for...
The oil being spoke of is from the filter. Any k&n style filter will be oiled from the factory which can over time deposit itself on the wire inside the mass air flow sensor. While not as extreme, even the paper filter from Nissan even has oil. You could go around this by using an apexi, aem dry or similar filter. I would just recommend staying away from foam filters as they tend to be the poorest on actually filtering out particles. Another way to get around it would be to clean the maf with maf cleaner or electronic parts cleaner every 15k miles or so.

Old 10-23-2006, 08:15 PM
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Oil on MAF is very minor issue, if issue at all. Mine was perfectly clean at 55K km, and spraying it with cleaner didn't do anything to performance.

Old 10-23-2006, 08:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by obender66
Oil on MAF is very minor issue, if issue at all. Mine was perfectly clean at 55K km, and spraying it with cleaner didn't do anything to performance.
I have had the same experience with a k&n filter and my past nissan maf. I think the key is being conservative with the oil if/when you clean it. I have seen some people soak the filter whether a cone or panel and it is not necessary. Also makes it much easier for the oil to deposit on the hot wire.

Old 10-23-2006, 08:29 PM
pardon my technical illiteracy, is maf acessible and can be cleaned?

Old 10-23-2006, 08:51 PM
If you clean it properly and re-oil as described in the instructions, not soak the darn thing. You wont have problems. I let mine sit on my workbench overnight, so if any residual oil is remaining on the filter it will drip off. When ready to put back on, it should look like this. BTW, I used K&N oil, that's why it changed from blue to red.

Lou

Attached Thumbnails Z-tube/pc spoils air flow sensor? other flaws?-jwt-wk-n0.jpg  

Trending Topics

Old 10-23-2006, 09:14 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
I have had no problems with mine over the last 20k. I just ordered an AEM dryflow just because it is easier to clean and it was about time for a new filter anyway.

You will be fine.

Old 10-24-2006, 01:05 PM
Hmmmm... thanx guys, i think i should just ignore this minor issue (if any) and will be just little careful while re-oiling which should come after 10-15k miles, right guys?

Old 10-24-2006, 05:14 PM
The key is to let it sit for a while and then clean the excess like lowrider does. The thing that kills the MAF is when guys oil it, allow large drips to accumulate, install and drive right away, then the drips get sucked onto the MAF.