G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

G35 good used car buy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 11:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question G35 good used car buy?

Hi folks,

Looking to sell my 05 Honda Accord EX-L w/NAV and buy a used car for around $21k.

Are there any specific probs with the 03 or 04 models to be aware of?

I was looking into getting something like this:

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dd...r_id=210963977

Haven't driven any yet as this is a recent decision. Does the manual have a nice feel to it? The vast majority of cars are auto.

With low enough miles the cars are pretty reliable, I'm guessing.

Thx

Dean

Old 11-03-2006, 12:38 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The G35 is one of the best luxury sport sedans around. I got my '03.5 G35 (w/ 41,290 miles at the time of purchase) for $18K from a private seller. The G has the sport suspension package and has every option except navigation. Before the G, I was coming from a '01 Lexus ES300 with high miles (but still drove very nice until I totaled it)

So far from my first 2 months of ownership, the known problems/issues I've come across with the G35 are the CD player not working (fixed under warranty), passenger window auto-function not working (fixed under warranty), and the squeaking rear suspension (turned out to be bad compression rods which were replaced under warranty). These are the major ones I can think of, but other than that the G35 is a spectacular car you won't be disappointed with. Make sure you find one with the sport suspension package; it's like having the best of both worlds (luxury and sport)

Old 11-03-2006, 12:50 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Kind of a downgrade in years....why do you want to take a loss on the Honda if you don't mind me asking? Do you have a 4 cylinder?

Old 11-03-2006, 01:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
damn that seems like thats a good deal. I bought my 03 G35 Sedan at a dealer for 19K out the door. It was loaded with navy

Old 11-03-2006, 01:59 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

not bad! im assuming u plan to buy? i'd say stick with the 05-06 and lease it! they are having great deals on the older models since the 07's came out

Old 11-03-2006, 02:38 PM
I'm surpised at all the replies already.

My accord is the V6.

I couldn't put a lot down when I bought nor did I know how many miles I'd do so I didn't want to lease at the time. I'm paying $547/mo for my honda.

I was in bed couple nights ago and it just hit me that is rediculous.

I owe $21,024 on the loan. Can sell privately for $21k-$22k.

Dealers, Cramax would only give me $17,500-$18,500. My car is literally immaculate.

My option is to refinance the $21k or sell privately, break even and start over.

I looked into taking over someone's lease and the lease trade sites.

Even with stong incentives I'd still be paying high 300's to $400/mo to lease usually 04 or 05's. Most good deals are in CA and it would be $735+ tax to ship a car.

I'm in real estate and while it won't make or break me, having a nice brand can help. I was shoing a $780k house once and the guy was driving a $70k Mercedes. He looked at my Honda and took notice of it.

I like the G35's because it's hard to tell the difference between an 03 or 06 model.

If I have to finance $21k, I'd rather search out some cherry G35's and have a car I really like.

Don't get me wrong- the loaded accord is quite nice for what it is and I love the NAV. But it just sorta feels like a tool to me. Something to go point a to point b.

My FICO is in Tier 2 and I have a house closing next week.

In the past I've had CRX's and Preludes after I got over my V8 phase. I'm 35 now and the G35 seems like a nice balance of sports and luxury.

I prefer Japanese cars so not really looking at BMW.

I think an 03 or 05 G35 with low miles will serve me well for a few years.

I only want to put like $1k down and have payments of under $400/mo.

Leasing can be good, but I feel more confident in buying. Maybe put a few mods on it, etc...not worry about taking long trips and adding miles.

I just read a couple other threads and it seems I should be concious of the brakes and window motor and check the tires. Sometimes I miss a manual, but in rush hour traffic I'm glad I have an auto.

Well, let me go see if I can go test drive some of these babies.

I was considering Lexus and *maybe* a really nice BMW if it was a great deal.

There was a low miles 03 530i with 5spd manual sprts package that looked cool. But I think the G35 is a bit younger looking.

The Lexus' tend to show their age...and frankly the IS300 doesn't float my boat exterior wise. Es300's look like a nicer Camry.

Well, let me go see what's what...

later peeps...

Dean

Old 11-03-2006, 03:02 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Good luck dean. I'd skimp on an ES300. That is definatley a boring car to drive. Comfortable, but you will fall asleep.

I'd say put your car up for sale, start trying to sale it and keep looking for Gs. Eventually something will come up that you like.

Old 11-03-2006, 03:06 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean407
I'm surpised at all the replies already.

My accord is the V6.

I couldn't put a lot down when I bought nor did I know how many miles I'd do so I didn't want to lease at the time. I'm paying $547/mo for my honda.

I was in bed couple nights ago and it just hit me that is rediculous.

I owe $21,024 on the loan. Can sell privately for $21k-$22k.

Dealers, Cramax would only give me $17,500-$18,500. My car is literally immaculate.

My option is to refinance the $21k or sell privately, break even and start over.

I looked into taking over someone's lease and the lease trade sites.

Even with stong incentives I'd still be paying high 300's to $400/mo to lease usually 04 or 05's. Most good deals are in CA and it would be $735+ tax to ship a car.

I'm in real estate and while it won't make or break me, having a nice brand can help. I was shoing a $780k house once and the guy was driving a $70k Mercedes. He looked at my Honda and took notice of it.

I like the G35's because it's hard to tell the difference between an 03 or 06 model.

If I have to finance $21k, I'd rather search out some cherry G35's and have a car I really like.

Don't get me wrong- the loaded accord is quite nice for what it is and I love the NAV. But it just sorta feels like a tool to me. Something to go point a to point b.

My FICO is in Tier 2 and I have a house closing next week.

In the past I've had CRX's and Preludes after I got over my V8 phase. I'm 35 now and the G35 seems like a nice balance of sports and luxury.

I prefer Japanese cars so not really looking at BMW.

I think an 03 or 05 G35 with low miles will serve me well for a few years.

I only want to put like $1k down and have payments of under $400/mo.

Leasing can be good, but I feel more confident in buying. Maybe put a few mods on it, etc...not worry about taking long trips and adding miles.

I just read a couple other threads and it seems I should be concious of the brakes and window motor and check the tires. Sometimes I miss a manual, but in rush hour traffic I'm glad I have an auto.

Well, let me go see if I can go test drive some of these babies.

I was considering Lexus and *maybe* a really nice BMW if it was a great deal.

There was a low miles 03 530i with 5spd manual sprts package that looked cool. But I think the G35 is a bit younger looking.

The Lexus' tend to show their age...and frankly the IS300 doesn't float my boat exterior wise. Es300's look like a nicer Camry.

Well, let me go see what's what...

later peeps...

Dean
Agreed...even though the Excellent Accord is a younger car....the G35 does
have extras like performance,and just having a more formal reputation.
It would be nice if you can keep both....but yes, it would be a great chance
to drive a the legendary 1st gen G35.....as the 2007 generation is now taking over.....

Old 11-03-2006, 05:07 PM
im new to the Nissan family ive had mine for about 3mt. and lovin every day of it I picked up a 03.5 IP 6MT Sportpackage for 20 out the door with 38,xxx miles on it. took me 2day of chopin # to get it..lol but very worth it..
Good luck

Old 11-03-2006, 06:31 PM
So I went for a test drive in an 03 plain jane G35 sedan. 50k+miles on it...some sort of green.

1st off- I'm in sales and the sales guy for the used cars was such a classic "used car salesman" it wasn't funny. This is just such a turn off.

"You know these may not be here tomorrow." he says. Which doesn't matter since I like none of what he had.

He looked at his watch...just did nothing to make me shiny happy about buying there- Orlando Infiniti.

Oh, I asked about any lease incentives on 06's and the new sales guy looked very confused. Bottom line is that there were no incentives according to him. There was a special 24 mos lease- but that ain't there any more.

Why do *I* feel like the person from outer space speaking like an educated buyer. I know my credit score, what interest rates should be, checked kbb.com, etc...

I showed the guy a print out from that good listing above and he just asked where it was.

ANYWHO...

The 03 green g35 sedan...

My 1st impression was why the hel don't they detail the inside- armor all the **** out of it and make it smell good?

While it wasn't dirt...it wasn't showroom clean either. I admit probably like most people here I am very picky about having a clean car. I guess most people aren't.

It's amazing how ya get used to a certain car and all is based from that...

It felt a bit tight room wise compared to my accord- not in a bad way really...just felt small inside especially with the sales guy next to me whom I didn't like at all.

Starts up and gauges look OK. I'm getting situated. I'm SO used to extending the console lid and using it as an armrest in my honda I went to grab it. LOL. Um...are there cup holders??? I looked for a place to put my cell and didn't see any cup holders...so I guess there aren't any.

Pull out and 1st impresion is that I'm sitting up very high compared to my honda. It's a better seating position.

Now let's face it- ya can't get a good feel for any vehicle much less a G35 that needs to be pushed to be appreciated...

It felt very tight for a car with 50k+ miles. That part was impressive.

I didn't notice any touchy throttle as I've read here. It's seemed not so diferent from my accord throttle wise.

I was a bit disappointed by the typical every day driving torque. Frankly, my V6 feels like it has a bit more oomph down low. Whether is gearing or toque curve or psycholigical- dunno. Not so different...just expected a bit more oomph.

I just searched for a 3.0 honda hp and torque curve chart but couldn't find on.

I did feel the extra power from what little I could do to accelerate going around the block.

It's funny- what I didn't feel was the front wheel pull me when accelerating around a corner. It was so nicely refreshing to be in a RWD car again!

I tried to shift with the auto very briefly.

It didn't seem to do anything at the speed I was going.

I'd really need to take the car out for a longer drive to appreciate it.

I'm sure the extra power would be nice in passing.

I really think this is an engine where a manual would be a good thing- if one likes manuals...and I do.

I learned people can tell if it's an 03 from the square shape under the trunk in the back. So, I'd like to get an 04 if I could.

They wanted to give me $17,500 for my car as a trade. I asked him why I'd do that when I could sell it for $20k+ privately. Well, maybe they could add $500. $500 is not $2500 bubba.

The price sheet they gave me quotes 8.99% APR for a 60 mos loan.

I asked him what tier credit that was for and he told me there's no payment the 1st 45 days.

That didn't answer my question at all so what use is the print out if it isn't pertaining to me.

I often make my car payments 2 mos in advance and I'm paid till Dec 12th.

Think I'll put it up for sale and see what sort of interest there is.

The used car guy was a bit irritated with me being so picky and said I'm not really a used car guy. I told him I knew I was very picky but I'm in no rush at all. If it's 1 out of a 100 cars I find acceptable I'll wait for it.

I'd like to find a truly mint condition low miles car with some decent options.

The one above seems fairly plain, but has a manual whcih I think I really would prefer on these cars.

I actually gained a better appreciation of my powerplant. Too bad the accord isn't rwd with a 6spd manual.

Old 11-03-2006, 06:38 PM
Hmm. I realize I may have sounded a bit negatie on the g35.

I could tell it would really shine while accelerating around corners and making high speed passes.

By comparison ya can feel the pull of fwd and a bit of torque steer in my accord.

RWD feels much more free and pure- whatever that means.

I don't get why people get the Acura TL. Who wants 270 hp being pulled by the front wheel? Euw.

Old 11-03-2006, 10:11 PM
I just thought of something.

Will cars drop in price once Jan 1st 07 hits? Since I have such low miles on my accord I don't think I'd get much less for it Jan as opposed to now.

If there are price shifts come Jan 1st in the used market I should wait a couple months, no?

BTW, in searching online - it seems very few drive manuals anymore!

Very hard to find.

Old 11-03-2006, 11:25 PM
Thumbs up

Good luck with your search Dean407. Once you sit in that mint condition "one" you will know it even if it's not freshly detailed. Well maintained just shows especially if your extra picky. I picked up my 03 G35 about 3 weeks ago and I love it. 49k miles, Blk on Blk leather, sport and premium packages. Basically everything except NAV for 17,900 from a dealer that I've bought from in the past. Saw it on there site, called my sales guy up for details and basically started the process site unseen based on pics and our relationship. Walked in and they had it sitting inside the service area since it was raining for me to look at it. I was in and out of there in 20 minutes. 10 minutes signing papers/10 mins waiting on porter. Car was mint and I couldn't find one thing to complain about. Smiled all the way home.

As far as a Lexus ES300, I had a few different years and it was a very nice car but very boring. Zero personality. I have a RX300 now for the wifey as a second vehicle. I think you should test drive another G35 without a sales guy and get to know it better. Then jump on one in a few months. Sales guy make the test drive feel different.. Good luck and keep us posted.

BTW, lexussk8, are you from clublexus.com? I'm pretty sure you had a clean black ES300. Actually I think you had two at different times. I previously owned a 91 es250, 92 ES300 and 97 one after the other and frequented that board alot. I still do from time to time after picking up the RX.

Old 11-03-2006, 11:50 PM
Begining of the year is gonna be a tough time to sell 'cause most ppl is recovering from all the holiday spending. Not sure about depreciating when turning a new year, but it make sense.

General public who buy G_sedan, lean more toward comfort & luxury than power & handling, hence being more AT then MT. Slim pickin' but its out there. Beside, why not enjoy best of both world.

Good luck on your search. Be patient, your car is out there. BTW, try driving on the highway, the power and handling really shine at speed.

Remember, on your next test drive, when you're sitting front row at a red light, and it turn green. Stick your right foot all the way in, don't lift, at least 'till the end of 2nd gear!

Old 11-04-2006, 12:29 AM
dw-g35- nice find. Zero personality...got ya. That's my Honda as well. I just searched the last 4 hours online. There are actually a good number of fairly low mile g35's out there...and I suspect more as folks get the bug for the 07's.

There are literally a handful of manuals listed in the USA right now. They seem to be priced right and still sit around. Carfax's check out clean and they look immaculate.

Like Grumpy_G states- most folks opt for the auto. I'm sure I'd like the auto as well. The lowest mile stick happens to be here in Florida.

Grumpy- I think it will be about the same to sell a car now as people are saving up for the holidays but you make a good point. Part of me just wants to take a hit on the trade and accept what dealers are offering, but that would be fairly stupid.

I hear ya on really test driving a good example out. I plan to. That used car dealer with the link above has quite a few nice g35's. I'll probably take a drive to Tampa this weekend if they stiff have some nice ones in stock.

Hey, does the M/T in sedan have a bit more HP like the M/T vs Auto on the coupe?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 good used car buy?