G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

all sedan owners thinking about lowering.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 04:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had h tech on my old g35c w/ oem shocks, and they did not last! i am sure on sedan, it is same story.

Old 11-17-2006, 07:12 PM
Ok, if you lower with z springs and leave stock shocks, it will blow because:
when you lower the car 1", the shock piston is also being pushed in additional 1" at all times, cuz the shock is the same length and the springs is 1" shorter and with moovement it will be pushed in additional 1" deeper than with stock sedan springs. Which is common sense if you think about it. So, unless you cut your shock 1" shorter, it will blow.

Old 11-17-2006, 11:35 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by sunghochang77
Ok, if you lower with z springs and leave stock shocks, it will blow because:
when you lower the car 1", the shock piston is also being pushed in additional 1" at all times, cuz the shock is the same length and the springs is 1" shorter and with moovement it will be pushed in additional 1" deeper than with stock sedan springs. Which is common sense if you think about it. So, unless you cut your shock 1" shorter, it will blow.
Ummmm....no. Especially if the bump stops haven't been cut. 1" isn't a big deal.

Old 11-18-2006, 01:09 AM
well I bought his springs... nice guy thanks for the deal...I got some sport shocks...let's see how long before mine blow...I've seen stock shocks in other cars rather than G's that go forever with lowering springs...and some blowing out quickly... all I need is for the shocks to last three years...and then the lease goes back...

Old 12-15-2006, 12:31 PM
Has anyone confirmed if you can use lowering springs from the previous style on the '07?

Old 12-15-2006, 05:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had the revised 350z springs/shocks for the past 30k miles, I'm at 103k miles right now, how do I know if my shocks are blown?

I have the compression rod squeak but I don't know if that's related.

Old 12-15-2006, 05:59 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
so... read the whole thread. still unclear on how you can tell that the shocks are "blown". i am on stock sport suspension (with hotchkis sways on med/med). lately, either i'm getting softer, or the ride has got firmer. it still drives and corners fine, but i could do which a bit less jerking and recoil on any bump i drive over...

Old 12-15-2006, 10:29 PM
im on tein s-techs and ive been driving on them for about 4-5 months and the ride is pretty good the only problem is that when i floor it a bit the rear passenger side makes a fart noise lmao its funny i guess i need shocks but w.e. ill buy some later

Old 12-16-2006, 03:37 AM
The guy that started the tread is avoiding the main question what type of springs/shocks are you running. That drops his credability in my book. With that being said if you want peace of mind just buy a set of shocks designed for a lowered suspension they don't have to be D-Specs which can be expensive. If the shocks comes with a warranty you'll have peace of mind. When you buy used shocks there's no way of knowing how long they are going to last. They may already be blown and you can't tell. I have heard that a way to test if your shocks is blown is to stand at a corner and push down as hard as you can on your car if it bounces more than once or recoils slowly or just doesn't sound right recoiling then it's blown. That what the guys were saying on Maxima.org when I owned my Maxima.

Old 12-16-2006, 04:32 AM
what's the big deal about D-Spec shocks? how/why are they better?

Old 12-16-2006, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by codeflux
what's the big deal about D-Spec shocks? how/why are they better?
The D-specs are 16 way adjustment which allow you to change the valving of the shock to your needs. If you want a firmer ride or softer ride you can do that with the D-specs.

Old 12-16-2006, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by perry05G35
The D-specs are 16 way adjustment which allow you to change the valving of the shock to your needs. If you want a firmer ride or softer ride you can do that with the D-specs.
that's the same argument people give for adjustable sways - you can adjust them... what if i want a set-it-and-forget-it kind'a thing?...

Old 12-17-2006, 12:16 AM
Originally Posted by sunghochang77
If you own a sedan regardless of the year and are thinking about lowering your vehicle, make sure you get shocks along with the new springs. I have a sport suspension 04 6mt sedan, and I initially lowered it with 350z springs and after 10k miles all my shocks were blown. Then, I checked with cerritos infiniti, and they told me it is a guarantee blow if you lower on factory shocks. Yes, it even applies to the sport red factory tokico shocks. You may not notice it first, but it will blow eventually. Blown shocks dosen't necessarely need to leak fluids either. So ure gonna have to buy new set of shocks down the line anyway. Mine as well buy tokico d-spec shocks and use them and sell them down the line. They cost the same as factory shocks.
I lowered my Aero equipped sedan with the stock sport shocks and Eibach springs and drove 50K miles with no shock problems. When I sold the car and swapped the stock springs back in the shocks were still in good shape. And this was after 2 winters and crappy pothole roads.

Old 12-17-2006, 12:19 AM
Originally Posted by codeflux
so... read the whole thread. still unclear on how you can tell that the shocks are "blown". i am on stock sport suspension (with hotchkis sways on med/med). lately, either i'm getting softer, or the ride has got firmer. it still drives and corners fine, but i could do which a bit less jerking and recoil on any bump i drive over...
Usually leaking oil down the shock sleeve is a good indicator. The ease with which you can compress the shock is increased too.

Old 12-17-2006, 01:14 AM
Originally Posted by g35_6gear
Usually leaking oil down the shock sleeve is a good indicator. The ease with which you can compress the shock is increased too.
so, how does it reflect in the driving behavior?...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: all sedan owners thinking about lowering.