G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

My brakes are a SQUEALIN'!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 09:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My brakes are a SQUEALIN'!

man, my brakes and squealing liek pigs everywhere I go, and it turns to an aweful grinding noise when I turn to the right, it stops if i press the brakes immediately. I have 85000KM on the car and I'm guessing the TSB wont cover me anymore...

anyone know about how much a brake job costs on our cars? (03 sedan) any recomendations as to what I should get to replace them so that this garbage doesnt happen again? keep in mind that brembos are a bit outta my league at the moment.

Old 11-10-2006, 10:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not sure how many miles that is. my dealer covers full brakes for 36k miles. i dunno if thats a infiniti thing or dealer specific coverage. the squealin is probably break indicators tellin you you need new pads. i cant see your brakes but im guessin you jsut need pads, and maybe resurfaced calipers. id find out what your dealer will cover before you buy anything, but pads alone dont run much. if ya want good ones get hawk hps off of tire rack. good luck

Old 11-10-2006, 11:32 AM
thank you sir! I will look into the hawks.

Old 11-10-2006, 11:50 AM
There have been many posts on this subject. I also have an 03 sedan. In San Diego, a brake job (new pads and new rotors) costs about $500 from the dealer. New Pads and turning the rotors is about $225 - $250. After my brake warranty expired, I went to an independent shop and put on some akebono brake pads with the stock rotors. The price was a little cheaper, but I don't have any brake dust anymore and no more squealing! There are many different pads out there. Hawk is one of the more popular ones. I have been happy with the akebonos. Good luck!

Old 11-10-2006, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by Eticketride
There have been many posts on this subject. I also have an 03 sedan. In San Diego, a brake job (new pads and new rotors) costs about $500 from the dealer. New Pads and turning the rotors is about $225 - $250. After my brake warranty expired, I went to an independent shop and put on some akebono brake pads with the stock rotors. The price was a little cheaper, but I don't have any brake dust anymore and no more squealing! There are many different pads out there. Hawk is one of the more popular ones. I have been happy with the akebonos. Good luck!
I use Axxis Metal Matrix pads from PBR. Similar experience to the Akebonos. Hardly any dusting and no squealing. 85000KM is about 53000 miles. If those are original brakes, WOW! And sorry, no, you're no longer covered by a warranty on your brakes.

Old 11-10-2006, 01:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pska,

Yes, your warranty is up on your sedan for brakes. Here in Canada its for 3 years or 60000km. Your near Ottawa I believe?
I know the dealer that I use quoted me between $600 to $850.
Alot of the guys are running Hawk HPS' as mentioned before. I have a set on my 03' sedan and they have been just great. No noise or brake dust comparred to the stock pads.

Ask around in the Canadian section for others opinions...

Good Luck!!!

Bill

Old 11-10-2006, 01:32 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
$500 is too much for a brake job IMO. I would either do it myself or buy good pads and take it somewhere else.

Old 11-11-2006, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by ttrank
$500 is too much for a brake job IMO. I would either do it myself or buy good pads and take it somewhere else.

yea, the place I bought the car from 1.5 months ago seems to be willing to fix the problem on their bill, however if they flake out on me, are we sure that it's just the pads? It squeals when i am NOT braking, and then stops as soon as I brake. It gets alot worse when I make a right-turn. I'm betting the Rotors need to be turned.

Worst case scenario, I jack up my car in my parents garage, take off the rotors and bring em to parts source, I think its about $10/rotor for turning... then I'll install the pads myself.

thanks guys!

Old 11-11-2006, 12:59 PM
If the place you bought the car from doesn't come through, just do it yourself. I just bought a set of Hawk HPS and Brembo OE replacement rotors from tire rack for $270 and will install them myself in about an hour (less time than it would take for me to take my car to the dealership and pick it up). Saving time, saving 230 bucks, and getting parts that are probably superior to OEM...no brainer.

In my judgment, you probably don't want to turn/machine rotors with 53,000 miles on them. Do you have a micrometer or dial caliper to measure the rotor thickness? Just my opinion, but if you turn those rotors, in another 10,000
miles (16,100 km) you're going to be having problems with the rotors and will have to replace them, and at that point you might as well put on new pads too.

Also note: (1) The Brembo rotors I'm referring to are OE replacement parts for the 04 sedan manufactured by Brembo, not the rotors for the Sport Coupe Brembo calipers. They're $91 apiece. (2) IMO, the Hawk pads you probably want are Hawk HPS, rather than HP Plus. The HPS pads definitely have more friction when you get some heat into them, but they're not scary when cold either. As I understand, the HP Plus really are semi-track pads and need some heat to work properly.

Last edited by Dudefish; 11-11-2006 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dudefish- I assume you are referring to the front brakes? What about the rears? Anyone replaced them yet with aftermarket parts?

Old 11-12-2006, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by Noremac
Dudefish- I assume you are referring to the front brakes? What about the rears? Anyone replaced them yet with aftermarket parts?
Noremac--oh yes absolutely. I did replace rear pads at 40,000, but only because I had ordered the parts, they were really cheap, and I was doing brakes already, so why not. At 40,000 the pads showed only moderate wear, the rotors showed none. Now at 60,000 I'm only doing fronts with new pads and rotors.

Old 11-13-2006, 12:23 PM
how much for me to upgrade to the Brembos off the coupe? or a big brake kit? i'll do a search

dudefish: I will definately look into the brembo rotors, where did you pick them up from? any part store?

Old 11-13-2006, 01:16 PM
take it to the dealer, they should have your brakes covered to 36k
there is a recall on the brake pads, so they put u on a brake management plan or some bs, and they hook u up with pads and rotors as needed.

if ur past 36k, look into hawk pads and turn your rotors if needed.

Old 11-13-2006, 04:13 PM
I just did mine all the way around the car. Took the Rotors to O'Reilly's to turn them for 8.00/ea and I bought new semi metallic pads.. $139.00 - 50% discount from advanced auto. 2 cans of cleaner @ 2.50 ea and it was about a 2-3 hr job with all the running around i did. I had all the air tools too though.

I was back on the road for about 100 bucks.

Last edited by EAndrews; 11-13-2006 at 04:15 PM.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:47 PM
Banned
the hawk pads i got grind like crazy now when it they get hot
i checked the pads and rotors and everything is smooth and theres still like 50% pads left and theres a grinding noise coming from them when stopping from like 10mph to a dead stop

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: My brakes are a SQUEALIN'!