G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Those who use MANUMATIC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 07:25 PM
It works on my machine
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After driving the MT for a year and a half and now driving an AT (to please the wife) I am longing for a faster up shift in manumatic mode. I mean when I hit the next gear there is a definite ~500 RPM lag, I guess I will have to plan for the shift a little better. However, I do like the AT for mindless driving. No thinking involved... most of the time

Old 11-21-2006, 08:33 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by MrBig
After driving the MT for a year and a half and now driving an AT (to please the wife) I am longing for a faster up shift in manumatic mode. I mean when I hit the next gear there is a definite ~500 RPM lag, I guess I will have to plan for the shift a little better. However, I do like the AT for mindless driving. No thinking involved... most of the time
Guys, you have to remember this isn't a sequential manual. There will always be a lag with an automatic due to it's fluid-based design. Also, the reason the auto feels laggy is because you're not operating a clutch and shifter. When you go through the motions of manual transmission shift, it takes a lot more time than you think. Upshifting in manual mode requires a simple hit upwards on the shifter. You can't expect the tranny to shift instantly.

Old 11-21-2006, 10:03 PM
that's true about what you said about how long it takes to go through the motions of the the manual takes just about as much time as in a manual. i drive the 6MT as if it were an automatic with matching upshifts to when i put the clutch in, no jerks or tire squirks, but..when can i get that power and torque feel from an AT when i want to downshift from 5th to 4th goin ~65 to pass around another car? that's the fun of having a manual in my opinion.

but, the ground wiring kits. do they make the difference in just plain automatic mode or just in manumatic mode?

Last edited by jiminy4DR6MT; 11-21-2006 at 10:11 PM.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:56 AM
I dont think it takes a long time to go thru the motions.... especially if you are in the kick *** mood.... if you are good with a manual, i say it take a fraction of a second.... plus you are keeping your revs higher. Afterall manuals are faster then automatics for a reason.

Old 11-22-2006, 11:43 AM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I don't think anyone here is willing to abuse their tranny to shift significantly faster than an auto (if at all faster)

With MM, you can hold a gear until redline also. And autos don't have to lift the gas. You powershift using your manual? I doubt it.

But I'm curious since you didn't mention # of gears or gear ratios, exactly why are manuals "faster" than autos?

Originally Posted by infini_
I dont think it takes a long time to go thru the motions.... especially if you are in the kick *** mood.... if you are good with a manual, i say it take a fraction of a second.... plus you are keeping your revs higher. Afterall manuals are faster then automatics for a reason.

Old 11-22-2006, 11:45 AM
Red Card Crew

The fastest shifting tranny is an auto. A clutch based auto system with an electro-hydraulic type clutch acuation.

THAT shifting is fractions of a second. Much faster than a human could do.

Old 11-22-2006, 11:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 6mt's are faster becuase there is no lag off the starting line like you get from the AT and since it's a 6 speed it has one more gear in the mix that keeps the motor in it's RPM sweet spot.

The perfomance stats don't lie. The 6mt has always been a few tenths quicker to 60.

Old 11-22-2006, 12:00 PM
Red Card Crew

I agree that a 6sp should be faster. But it depends on when you have to shift. I think the manuals get a shorter final drive too? Or is that the auto that gets that?

If you disable the abs, the auto shouldn't bog at all. People have been reporting nice burnouts doing this. Thus no lag. Plus autos have the advantage of being able to powerbrake.

But yes, from what I read, manuals have been returning better times. But we don't know how the mags are testing them. ie.. abs off, powerbraking etc...

I say in real life when one has to abuse their own car, the margins are much more narrow.

Old 11-22-2006, 12:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MT's are faster than AT's only off the line - POTENTIALLY. I say this because MT's have technically an unlimitted stall. AT's need to get high stall converters to match or get close to the MT's launch RPM's...and that is the advantage, and disadvantage to the MT. The disadvantage in this case come to traction off the line.

You'll note that the fastest race cars out there - with FI or NA - are most often AT's...for a reason...

Rick

Old 11-22-2006, 12:27 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh man, all this talk makes me like the AT again... mine still sucks though lol

Old 11-22-2006, 12:52 PM
Red Card Crew

I guess it depends on what the optimum launch rpm is. As I've mentioned, a few of the auto guys have been able to do burnouts in their ATs. If that's the case then they have already exceeded the tire's traction, thus a higher stal might not be able to help.

A MT is only benefical if the driver knows how to launch. If not, the MT is a hinderence, not an advantage.

Bring boost into the picture and it's whole new ballgame. SC or Turbo + brake boosting =

Originally Posted by ISMSOLUTIONS
MT's are faster than AT's only off the line - POTENTIALLY. I say this because MT's have technically an unlimitted stall. AT's need to get high stall converters to match or get close to the MT's launch RPM's...and that is the advantage, and disadvantage to the MT. The disadvantage in this case come to traction off the line.

You'll note that the fastest race cars out there - with FI or NA - are most often AT's...for a reason...

Rick

Old 11-22-2006, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I guess it depends on what the optimum launch rpm is. As I've mentioned, a few of the auto guys have been able to do burnouts in their ATs. If that's the case then they have already exceeded the tire's traction, thus a higher stal might not be able to help.

A MT is only benefical if the driver knows how to launch. If not, the MT is a hinderence, not an advantage.

Bring boost into the picture and it's whole new ballgame. SC or Turbo + brake boosting =
Yea - AT's have huge advantages for FI applications - traction is the main one.

Knowing how to launch goes both ways - AT or MT - if you can't launch effectively - your going to be toast.

Rick

Old 11-22-2006, 01:14 PM
Red Card Crew

Well I'd wager that with na or mild/med boost, it's tons easier to launch an auto than the same with MT.

I mean really, it's an auto. Foot on brake, foot on gas, take foot off of brake, hold on. hehe

Originally Posted by ISMSOLUTIONS
Yea - AT's have huge advantages for FI applications - traction is the main one.

Knowing how to launch goes both ways - AT or MT - if you can't launch effectively - your going to be toast.

Rick

Old 11-22-2006, 01:21 PM
The AT v. MT debate will go on forever, as we mostly know.

When it comes to the racing world - you either go in a straight line or slide around corners, these days. AT's are best for going straight and MT's are best for sliding around corners.

If you don't race - it's then all personal preference.

Rick

Old 11-22-2006, 03:13 PM
I only use manumatic when I need maximum power. Either from a stand still start or, say I am entering the highway and I need to gain a bit more speed to overtake or merge, I will drop into manumatic in motion and then drop down from 4th to 3rd to get the extra torque.

I don't see why anyone would use manumatic all the time, automatic is great for everyday driving at regular speed and power needs. Obviously at the track you want to get the most RPM in each gear before upshifting so manumatic makes much more sense over auto in this situation.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Those who use MANUMATIC