Spark plug change cost $1000.00

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 07:17 AM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by marty315
Cato, which dealership did you go to?
My Stealership is West Houston Infiniti, they are very close to my office on Memorial drive.

Old 01-11-2007, 10:50 AM
I got my sedan back this morning. Drive out cost was $1357
1) replaced spark plugs with the plugs I brought with me.
2) replaced oil with Mobil 1 super syn that I brought with me.
3) replaced oil filter with the 350z filter I brought with me.
4) replaced both valve cover gaskets and valve covers.
5) drain and refill 5AT tranny.
6) replace drive belts.
I'm glad to have her back, should be good for a few more miles!

Old 01-11-2007, 01:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

CATO - did you see what this clown Jeff said in thread #32 above?! Kinda rude if you ask me.....

Old 01-11-2007, 02:49 PM
You have to have pretty tough skin around here to last. It just rolls off my back like rain.

Old 01-11-2007, 04:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmyc13
CATO - did you see what this clown Jeff said in thread #32 above?! Kinda rude if you ask me.....
what a douche.

Old 01-11-2007, 04:36 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
So I'm a clown now? Exactly how is it soo rude? If one is willing to spend THAT much money on extras, one should be willing to spend the $ to maintain it. Or else all the mods are for NOTHING.

Here are a few reasons why he shouldn't complain that much:
1) He went to the dealer. Probably the most expensive option. Others have said the same thing. He's under no warranty obligation to go to a dealer right?
2) He is relying on others to do the work. That means you are at the mercy of whomever you decide to get the work done. I would have done this work myself.

So I guess trying to put the repair costs in perspective and posting a FSM sheet in order to try to help is being rude. As rude as coming in this thread just to POINT OUT someone being rude and offering ZERO for a solution?

So please come back without the wise a$$ed cracks and explain why you think I'm a clown again.

I can understand Cato's venting but at the same time, there's no idication he even shopped around for an alternative. Hard to feel THAT sorry for him. But I'm glad he got it done and can enjoy is car again.
Originally Posted by jimmyc13

Last edited by Jeff92se; 01-11-2007 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:12 PM
IQ9
He's got a point.

Old 01-12-2007, 07:20 AM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
So I'm a clown now? Exactly how is it soo rude? If one is willing to spend THAT much money on extras, one should be willing to spend the $ to maintain it. Or else all the mods are for NOTHING.

Here are a few reasons why he shouldn't complain that much:
1) He went to the dealer. Probably the most expensive option. Others have said the same thing. He's under no warranty obligation to go to a dealer right?
2) He is relying on others to do the work. That means you are at the mercy of whomever you decide to get the work done. I would have done this work myself.

So I guess trying to put the repair costs in perspective and posting a FSM sheet in order to try to help is being rude. As rude as coming in this thread just to POINT OUT someone being rude and offering ZERO for a solution?

So please come back without the wise a$$ed cracks and explain why you think I'm a clown again.

I can understand Cato's venting but at the same time, there's no idication he even shopped around for an alternative. Hard to feel THAT sorry for him. But I'm glad he got it done and can enjoy is car again.
Jeff,

You just don't get the point of my thread. The point is that the valve covers are poorly designed. Why would one need to replace a $250 valve cover just to fix a failed seal/gasket? Yeah, I have spent some money on mods, and I also did most of the work myself. Now I found my sedan needing some serious work while it was already at the dealership. I have plenty of money in my bank account and don't feel like f*ck1ing around with valve covers. So I elected to have the work done where the car was at. What is your problem with that?

Old 01-12-2007, 08:33 AM
cato could've gotten a new set of tires if the valve cover was designed better! I thought that the gaskets could be replace in the spark plug chamber all along. This was a great informative thread. Thanks cato, it's unfortunate that you had to go through all this work, but I'm sure one day all of us who decided to own our cars longer will have to go through the same process.

Old 01-12-2007, 08:48 AM
Cato, how is the car running now that the gap is better and the plugs are new? Also what type of plug did you get?

Old 01-12-2007, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by bert039
Just be sure to tell the wife it really cost $1000 and pocket the rest for more mods or your favorite hooker...
The hooker part almost made me fall out of my seat
Hey Cato I would have just traded in the car at another dealer because they probably would not check that out. (I have no problem f**king problem screwing stealerships over.)

Last edited by 2005g35sedan6mt; 01-12-2007 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by SixFive
Cato, how is the car running now that the gap is better and the plugs are new? Also what type of plug did you get?
I can't feel a freaking difference! The plugs are NKG platinum.
The car is nearly paid for, trading it in on a 2007 would put me in the hole for another $25 grand at least. Stealerships would not give me a decent trade on a 2003 with 90K miles and tons of mods.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:37 AM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I must have misunderstood. I thought it was about price only:

All of the seals have failed. Infiniti requires replacing the valve covers to get the new seals, at around $480/cover. This is OUTRAGEOUS!
But I didn't really have a problem with it. Just with someone calling me rude.

Originally Posted by cato
Jeff,

You just don't get the point of my thread. The point is that the valve covers are poorly designed. Why would one need to replace a $250 valve cover just to fix a failed seal/gasket? Yeah, I have spent some money on mods, and I also did most of the work myself. Now I found my sedan needing some serious work while it was already at the dealership. I have plenty of money in my bank account and don't feel like f*ck1ing around with valve covers. So I elected to have the work done where the car was at. What is your problem with that?

Old 01-12-2007, 11:54 AM
The design of the G35 valve covers is simply OUTRAGOUS! Why couldn't Nissan design a valve cover with replacable spark plug tube seals? I'm sure they could have, but never figured they would fail? Not very foreward thinking if you ask me. Maybe they just thought anyone who would pay that much for a G had endless monetary resources and would not blink an eye???? This is not going to cost me my house, but it is really irritating to find out the $150 labor to change the plugs turned into $975.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:35 PM
IQ9
The suprise sucked I agree. I like you don't like to think work will cost one price only to find out that what you set aside won't pay for half of it. I am sorry the car does not have a better feel. Thanks for giving those of us with high miles a heads up. I have 65K and am not close to your 90K but I think I will bug Rob @ ZCar about what he has seen and heard of this issue. Thanks again!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Spark plug change cost $1000.00