G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Need help with popcharger/z-tube install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RocketG35
Comparing the original pic to the latest one, it doesn't look like its attached to the air duct any better...it just looks marginally better meaning that inverting the tube did little. But I don't have the POP charger...so who cares what I think ;-)
The rubber trim piece on the air duct now extends into the rubber trim piece from the heat shield. It's definitely not air tight but it looks much better and my basic knowledge based opinion seems to be the correct installation. Anyone else have pics of the trim pieces and their union?

Old 01-10-2007, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by X-Vert
Bah, sorry... didn't think you'd take it so offensively. But I help out when I can, and since the question to your answer was already answered, I felt the need to post a smart *** comment
X-vert, after being frustrated about an install gone wrong momentarily, the last thing anyone needs is a smarta$$ comment. I hear they have room for plenty of those over at my350z.com

Old 01-10-2007, 08:45 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I also hear that my350z is not a G35 forum lol

Old 01-10-2007, 09:17 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by marty315
X-vert, after being frustrated about an install gone wrong momentarily, the last thing anyone needs is a smarta$$ comment. I hear they have room for plenty of those over at my350z.com
I guess we both need to join then.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by X-Vert
I guess we both need to join then.
Agreed.

Old 01-11-2007, 02:20 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
looks good. i got the same done a few weeks ago though my pop charger filter doesnt go all the way into the heatshield.. i dunno why but the car is fine and nothing is touching the pipes.

get your yellow license plate leds swapped for white ones too... looks real purty

Old 01-12-2007, 01:41 AM
How ironic, I just did that tonight. I got two extra wedge bulbs shipped with my headlights so I replaced the license plate bulbs with the new ones and it's definitely brighter. I'd take pics but my neice's bedroom is right next to the garage and the opener wakes her up. Guess we'll wait until tomorrow.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:31 AM
RPL
I have to ask:

Is there any point in installing the Z-tube? Does it really add any power?

Old 01-12-2007, 11:42 AM
Coupe 6MT
Originally Posted by RPL
I have to ask:

Is there any point in installing the Z-tube? Does it really add any power?

Many people have debated this point: our cars have been refined for optimal performance, and all you may really gain is better sound, rather than speed. I think you won't see significant improvement, but you will experience more tendency to press the gas harder.

Here's a stock sedan intake tube (notice the silencer box attachment) :

Then the Z tube (no funky extensions) :

Even our stock airbox has silencers on it, not performance hindering, just a nice quiet ride...

Old 01-12-2007, 11:55 AM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Glad you were able to get the answers.

Good luck with the Zaino. Why didn't you get a claybar too?

Old 01-12-2007, 12:19 PM
I did get the claybar in the package, just didn't have it out for the shot. I'm not sure if I'll clay the car though, it's an '06 and the paint seems pretty impurity free at this point. Do you think it's neccesary? And thanks for the help as always...

Old 01-12-2007, 12:45 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The clay bar is an excellent tool for removing sandblast and debris that get stuck on the car's body from which a normal car wash can't wash off. The clay bar will leave the surface of your car feeling smoother than before (almost as smooth as glass). You can detect the degree of roughness of your car's surface by covering your hand with a plastic sandwich bag and running your fingers across the car's surface.

I remember the first time I clay barred the G when I first got the car, I removed a LOT of what appeared to be road rail dust (brown-colored) that was stuck on the lower sides of the car. Now the car feels silky smooth every time I wash and wax it since I clay barred off probably 3 years' worth of unwashable crap on the car

Old 01-12-2007, 03:04 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by lexusk8
The clay bar is an excellent tool for removing sandblast and debris that get stuck on the car's body from which a normal car wash can't wash off. The clay bar will leave the surface of your car feeling smoother than before (almost as smooth as glass). You can detect the degree of roughness of your car's surface by covering your hand with a plastic sandwich bag and running your fingers across the car's surface.

I remember the first time I clay barred the G when I first got the car, I removed a LOT of what appeared to be road rail dust (brown-colored) that was stuck on the lower sides of the car. Now the car feels silky smooth every time I wash and wax it since I clay barred off probably 3 years' worth of unwashable crap on the car

Yes I agree. The claybar is good, even for new cars. They have a lot of fine metal debris that gets on the car during transport and storage. I would hold off and do that first if I were you. You don't have to use the Zaino clay bar, you can always get some other one local if you like.

Old 01-13-2007, 12:16 AM
Originally Posted by ttrank
Yes I agree. The claybar is good, even for new cars. They have a lot of fine metal debris that gets on the car during transport and storage. I would hold off and do that first if I were you. You don't have to use the Zaino clay bar, you can always get some other one local if you like.
Well, we'll see, supposed to be pretty cold this weekend so I guess the wash and wax day may have to wait. Guess I'll just work on the high beams and my new bat overlays.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:04 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
hows your gas mileage with the pop/z tube now hehehe!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need help with popcharger/z-tube install