G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Baby seat...how are the leather seats holding up?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 12:34 AM
Why do I bother to DIY???
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My daughter is 18 months, so I went through this not that long ago. I am also using the Price Lionheart seat protector in combination with a Britax Boulevard seat. It works fairly well.

The center location is definitely the safest as mentioned. The LATCH anchors are only for the sides - they have not been tested for the center - so you shouldn't use the two inner latches to secure a center seat. I believe this is in the manual + the cop that checked my car seat told me that most are only designed for the sides. So although you can get a snug lock w/ the LATCH, it probably isn't a good idea to do that for the center.

What I found is that the center lap belt button side is very loose since it is extra long. What the cop told me was to at most do a couple twists to shorten it a bit. Do not do too many twists...but a couple should be fine.

What really secures the seat, is the upper latch on the rear parcel shelf. Pop one of those plastic caps off, and make sure to use the tension belt attached behind the car seat's head rest. Once the car seat is secure with the seat belt...clip on the tension belt and pull tight. The car seat will be snug and secure.

The rule is that when you pull the seat left or right, it shouldn't move more than an inch. If you do decide to use the LATCH for the side placement, make sure you don't do the seat belt AND LATCH....the seats need to be able to disperse some of the energy in the event of an accident - it would end up too tight.

BTW - there is a new RECARO baby seat....$249....supposedly tested to adult standards or something like that. I'd get that one!

Old 02-01-2007, 12:35 AM
Sorry, I think the correct terminology for the "tension belt" I referred too is actually a "tether"...something like that.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:46 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
There are LATCH anchors for the middle. It's how my baby seat is attached
Hmm...some said there are latches and some don't. Maybe premium package has them? I gotta check my car next time.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:48 AM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
Yeah that Recaro baby seat is awesome! I got the booster since my daughter will be 4 in a couple weeks and has outgrown hers.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:49 AM
Originally Posted by RocketG35
My daughter is 18 months, so I went through this not that long ago. I am also using the Price Lionheart seat protector in combination with a Britax Boulevard seat. It works fairly well.

The center location is definitely the safest as mentioned. The LATCH anchors are only for the sides - they have not been tested for the center - so you shouldn't use the two inner latches to secure a center seat. I believe this is in the manual + the cop that checked my car seat told me that most are only designed for the sides. So although you can get a snug lock w/ the LATCH, it probably isn't a good idea to do that for the center.

What I found is that the center lap belt button side is very loose since it is extra long. What the cop told me was to at most do a couple twists to shorten it a bit. Do not do too many twists...but a couple should be fine.

What really secures the seat, is the upper latch on the rear parcel shelf. Pop one of those plastic caps off, and make sure to use the tension belt attached behind the car seat's head rest. Once the car seat is secure with the seat belt...clip on the tension belt and pull tight. The car seat will be snug and secure.

The rule is that when you pull the seat left or right, it shouldn't move more than an inch. If you do decide to use the LATCH for the side placement, make sure you don't do the seat belt AND LATCH....the seats need to be able to disperse some of the energy in the event of an accident - it would end up too tight.

BTW - there is a new RECARO baby seat....$249....supposedly tested to adult standards or something like that. I'd get that one!
Hmmm...that's alot of info... I gotta check it out and read the manual perhaps.

So did you place your child in the middle?

Old 02-01-2007, 01:21 AM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Ack! Okay Rocket, I looked in the manual and you're right.(Latch for each side only. Not the middle!) I just looked at the Bride instructions when I put the seat in. I went ahead and did the shoulder lap method and used the top tether for more support. Thanks!

Cripes, I've been using this method for 2 years. Wife's gonna kill me!

Last edited by Jeff92se; 02-01-2007 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:34 PM
Great Jeff! That tether makes a huge difference in the stability - definitely recommend it.

Mikee - I did put the seat in the center...for side impact reasons. It's a bit of a pain to reach into put my daughter in there, but worth it IMO.

Make sure when you use the seat belt method, that you pull the seat belt all the way out to engage the "locking mode". What I found is that putting it in "locked mode" after running it through the seat and locking it is best. That way you won't get frustrated if the belt slips out of your hands or if you accidentally retract it too far before clipping to the belt release button. This sounds like a no-brainer, but when the in-laws set up their car....they didn't engage the locking mode...and of course the seat just slid around!!!

I'm trying to convince the wife we need the new Recaro...but she's not budging. Argh.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by RocketG35
Great Jeff! That tether makes a huge difference in the stability - definitely recommend it.

Mikee - I did put the seat in the center...for side impact reasons. It's a bit of a pain to reach into put my daughter in there, but worth it IMO.

Make sure when you use the seat belt method, that you pull the seat belt all the way out to engage the "locking mode". What I found is that putting it in "locked mode" after running it through the seat and locking it is best. That way you won't get frustrated if the belt slips out of your hands or if you accidentally retract it too far before clipping to the belt release button. This sounds like a no-brainer, but when the in-laws set up their car....they didn't engage the locking mode...and of course the seat just slid around!!!

I'm trying to convince the wife we need the new Recaro...but she's not budging. Argh.
Thanks for your info. I haven't tried the baby seat yet (it's a baby shower gift that we will be getting this weekend). Will give it a shot afterward.

Hmm...from what you are saying, it doesn't seem like our G is design to have a baby seat in the middle. I'll try both way but wouldn't it be more snug in properly on the side seats? At least that's where the latches are.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:50 PM
Red Card Crew

Mike. I'd trial fit the seat BEFORE you have the baby. Trust us on this

Read your manual! It's designed to have a baby seat in the middle. BUT it's not designed for the use of the LATCH system in the middle. You have to use the middle shoulder belt if you want the seat in the middle. And use the tether if you have it.

The LATCH system in the G is only for the left or right rear seats. Not the middle seat

If you have an infant, you will install the seat "back facing". ie.. baby will look out the rear window. Read the manual for proper installation.

Originally Posted by mikeee2
Thanks for your info. I haven't tried the baby seat yet (it's a baby shower gift that we will be getting this weekend). Will give it a shot afterward.

Hmm...from what you are saying, it doesn't seem like our G is design to have a baby seat in the middle. I'll try both way but wouldn't it be more snug in properly on the side seats? At least that's where the latches are.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:59 PM
Mike. I'd trial fit the seat BEFORE you have the baby. Trust us on this

Read your manual! It's designed to have a baby seat in the middle. BUT it's not designed for the use of the LATCH system in the middle. You have to use the middle shoulder belt if you want the seat in the middle. And use the tether if you have it.

The LATCH system in the G is only for the left or right rear seats. Not the middle seat

If you have an infant, you will install the seat "back facing". ie.. baby will look out the rear window. Read the manual for proper installation.
Yeah, I'll definitely try the seat before the baby is born. That's for sure . Ok...I'll definitely have to read the manual regarding the latch system now. I had no point in reading it when I bought the G a couple years ago.

Yeah, I am aware of the rear facing for new born (but thanks for reminding me) .Wonder why they don't make latch system for the middle seat?

Also the middle seat has extra cushion, whereas the side seats are caved in a bit. Wouldn't the baby seat plant better on the side seats?

Old 02-01-2007, 01:04 PM
Red Card Crew

Middle position is the safest. ie.. it's away from each side in case of a side impact.

It's more of a pain but IMHO it's worth it. My daughter is just over two now. I basicly just throw her into the seat now. haha

Old 02-01-2007, 01:06 PM
If you guys don't mind, can you take a quick pic of your back seat with the baby seat (rear facing perferrably and in the middle) or the side.

Old 02-01-2007, 01:08 PM
Red Card Crew

Mike. I just got done redoing my seat. I ain't yanking it out to put it rear facing for ya!

Old 02-01-2007, 01:10 PM
Mike. I just got done redoing my seat. I ain't yanking it out to put it rear facing for ya!
Haha...no worries. Hopefully there are other volunteers.

Old 02-01-2007, 01:16 PM
Well I am using a Eddie Bauer type:
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B000COW82C

And sofar its worked fine........

And yes the seat would sit better on the sides but can you imagine, god forbid, if someone hits you on the side?..........I would rather have my son in the middle........
And plus, my son enjoys sitting high so he can actually see out....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Baby seat...how are the leather seats holding up?