G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Help: Hood Hinge Failing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 12:03 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Help: Hood Hinge Failing

On my passenger side, my hood is rubbing against the fender when I raise the hood (it is rubbing so bad that you can see the fender being pushed away by the hood).

I got the same problem a year ago... dealer replaced the hinge but problem just came back yesterday.

It is a design problem or does anyone have similar problem?

Old 02-18-2007, 12:06 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
never heard of that bro. it sounds like an alignment problem to me. did they do any work on that side when you had the accident? take it in asap to adjust.

Old 02-18-2007, 12:16 AM
Originally Posted by Chico
never heard of that bro. it sounds like an alignment problem to me. did they do any work on that side when you had the accident? take it in asap to adjust.
Thanks Chico,

It is not on that side ... + I had that problem before I got into the accident.
What makes thing worse is that the problem just "reappeared" today when I am trying to refill the windshield washer

Old 02-18-2007, 02:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well---hrmm... maybe your best bringing it to a body shop and having it adjusted anyways, does the hood look out of allignment when closed?

maybe some silicon lube might help

Old 02-18-2007, 02:29 AM
Thanks guys:

1) When closed, the hood looks perfectly aligned except that the "working fine" side actually seats a bit higher near the windshield.

2) When I open the hood, it seems that the hinge might really be defective (A dealership has replaced the same hinge before and the problem has been solved for the time being, until today at least), which the rubbing side seems to raise less than the working side near the windshield.

3) As a fix (I really don't want to bring my car to a stealership unless if I have to since I don't trust them - JD Power ranked Infiniti at LAST for Service in Canada for 2006), I added 1mm shims to let the hood seat taller at the near windshield end such that there is no more rubbing now...

Silicone lube lol... I couldn't sleep that's why I spent 30mins in my garage to play with my new torque wrench and got myself a fix

Thanks everyone again and hope that this post will serve as a FYI for any future reference

Old 02-18-2007, 07:29 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I had this exact same issue...on the exact same side as well. In fact, lifting it up slighly scratched the paint where it made contact.....figured out it was hitting because the hinge was too tight & restricting it & therefore, everything was flexing. I took some WD-40 & sprayed the hinge & it's fixed it for the past 1.5 yrs & I haven't had to do anything since....

Old 02-18-2007, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by godmans
Thanks guys:

1) When closed, the hood looks perfectly aligned except that the "working fine" side actually seats a bit higher near the windshield.

2) When I open the hood, it seems that the hinge might really be defective (A dealership has replaced the same hinge before and the problem has been solved for the time being, until today at least), which the rubbing side seems to raise less than the working side near the windshield.

3) As a fix (I really don't want to bring my car to a stealership unless if I have to since I don't trust them - JD Power ranked Infiniti at LAST for Service in Canada for 2006), I added 1mm shims to let the hood seat taller at the near windshield end such that there is no more rubbing now...

Silicone lube lol... I couldn't sleep that's why I spent 30mins in my garage to play with my new torque wrench and got myself a fix

Thanks everyone again and hope that this post will serve as a FYI for any future reference

yea, i butchered that spelling lol.

but im sure a body shop could adjust it for fairly cheap for ya. all they basically do is wack it with a hammer

Old 02-18-2007, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by Neal376
yea, i butchered that spelling lol.

but im sure a body shop could adjust it for fairly cheap for ya. all they basically do is wack it with a hammer
Lol, I wasn't picking on your spelling or whatsoever; I laughed at silicone because I was thinking to myself it feels more like I am fxxked in the axx and I need some lube for that lol... since every problem that I have takes at least 2 times for the stealership to fix. (except maybe fuel filler hose recall since I bought it to one of our more reputable dealerships in my province)

i.e.

1) Fuel level display problem and fuel tank can't be filled all the way: I bought my car in 4 times until they replaced both sides' filler flaps

2) Compression rod problem.. I don't even bother anymore but I at least bought the car in for 3 times until they replace my front compression rods according to the TSBs

and the list goes on...

I hate to say this: but they really gotta learn to "Fit it Right the FIRST TIME", which I really feel its important in my current job

Old 02-18-2007, 01:57 PM
yea i hear ya...i gave up on the compression rod bull****. I'm waiting for a solid solution

are you gonna keep the wedge as a permanent solution?

Old 02-18-2007, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by Neal376
yea i hear ya...i gave up on the compression rod bull****. I'm waiting for a solid solution

are you gonna keep the wedge as a permanent solution?
For now yes, since when the hood is closed, the two sides are now actually level perfectly.

Yet, I would monitor closely to see if it is a bent hinge or sth like that.

Furthermore, I added some silicone lube there at the moving joint of the hinges to see if it will help

Old 02-18-2007, 02:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could it be that the "good" side hinge is out of alignment and causing theother side ot go bad? Just a thought, as I haven't been out to the car to see how they work and interact.

Good luck.