G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

driver side door locks automatically sometimes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
driver side door locks automatically sometimes

We only had our 04 sedan for about a month and on 4 separate occasions, the driver side door has locked automatically. Once when the care was running and my duaghter was in the back seat. The other doors did not lock. Has anybody had this happen to them?

Old 12-03-2003, 04:06 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: driver side door locks automatically sometimes

The only way any doors should lock automaticly is if you unlock the door (with the keyfob) to enter and do not enter. About a minute later the door will lock automaticly for you.
GSM

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red> <font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 12-03-2003, 04:13 PM

Take a look at the position of the lock and your hand when you are opening the door. This happened a number of times on my car until I realized that I was bumping the mechnism into the locked position as I was opening the door to get out of the car... just a bad design

2003.5 5AT Sedan Black/Black Premium/Winter Packages

Old 12-03-2003, 04:49 PM
Unimaginative, Indecisive User

hmm danner23... it's weirdness that only the driver side door locked. usually, when i do the things that everyone above has mentioned, all doors lock automatically. take it in and have the dealer take a look at it?

<font color=purple>.g35girl.</font color=purple>

Old 12-03-2003, 04:54 PM

The service mgr tells me that G35 does not have the ability to lock automatically, only the new G35X does

Old 12-03-2003, 04:57 PM

I would agree with that, but I was able to dup this once before and I remember before getting out of the car, not to even come close to the button

Old 12-03-2003, 05:01 PM

I did bring it in today and because the techs were not able to dup it today, they wrote that it was because I had bumped the switch. I then told them that my daughter was going to put something in the trunk and when she went to open the door her fingers sliped on door handle. The door only opened about 3 inches and locked. We had to close the door tightly and then go around to the passenger door and use the unlock button.

Old 12-04-2003, 12:09 AM

Seriously! Happens to me all the time!

I'm just chalking it up to gremlins now.

-T

'03 Sedan 5a: BS/G, Prem, Aero/Body, Sport, Nav
Click for MODS or Vote at Online Showoff

Old 12-04-2003, 08:41 AM

Mine was doing this and since I realized how it happened it has never happened again....

Old 12-04-2003, 11:57 AM

I thought it was just me but I have experienced this twice now, once with the sunroof open (no problem there) but again at the gas pump and had to phone for spare key as I did not have the "dummy" wallet key with me. Needless to say I pack the "dummy" all the time now and have of course been unable to duplicate. I do not think I hit the lock mechanism either time but thinking back on the gas pump incident I think I may have been locked out by another car's remote locking.

Old 12-04-2003, 12:23 PM

I agree with gsedanman, the only time I have noticed this happening is when you unlock the doors with the keyfob and do not open the door; it will relock. But you may also be bumping the lock on the door.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Brilliant Silver - Graphite / Premium / Sport / Tint

Old 12-04-2003, 01:02 PM

I have had the same problem. I could never determine definitivly if it is the door locking on its own, or if it was me brushing against it when I reached for the handle. Likely it is the latter, but either way, it is an irritating (and potentially dangerous in minus temperatures during winter) quirk. I now carry the spare key in my wallet; thinking about hiding another spare as a backup in a magnetic holder somewhere on the frame.

Old 12-04-2003, 01:34 PM

I know it was bumping the lock on mine because in the morning I always key fob all the doors open because my wife drives to work with me. I back the car out of the garage and then go inside and leave it running for a few minutes. It happened 3 or 4 times my door was locked and hers was open.

Then I finally figured it out and I always am careful now not to hit the lock switch on my way out of the car and it has not happened since... that's like a month ago.

Old 12-04-2003, 01:35 PM

This has happened to me twice. I put my car in park, leave the engine on, I go outside and close to my door, and look to see if my car is centered in the parking spot. then when I tried to get back into my car all the doors were locked except for the passenger front door, so I opened it then used the unlock control on the door to unlock all the doors. I was pretty worried for a minuet there. My car running, and the doors locked, wouldn’t have been a very fun situation.

Old 12-04-2003, 06:18 PM
G Kreuzer

Yup! Happend here on a few occasions. I had long suspected little funny green man under the seat until I caught myself catching the locking flap while opeing the door (lousy design).

Even worse and a CAUTION to the rest of you guys. If you happend to catch the flap just right so it is neither at the fully locked or unlocked position, you will be unable to unlock the door at all! This actually happend to me minutes taking delivery of the car. I parked next to the house (ignition still in the car) ... closed the door and went inside to grab the digi-cam. Came back and was alarmed that the door was locked and the other sets of keys were sitting on the passenger seat! SHIET!!! :O After a few minutes of panic, I found the rear doors were unlocked. Hehe More to the point, you're not suppose to be ABLE to lock the driver side door w. the key IN the ignition ... that is unless the locking flap happens to be in the position I described earlier.

THX723

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: driver side door locks automatically sometimes