G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Richie bar, stillen intake (for Dave B) and misc

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 08:37 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by IP05G35
I actually haven't had my oil analyzed yet but there are plenty of vehicles that have had their results show high silicon with K&N filters and the number went down after they swapped in paper filters. Go to bobistheoilguy.com and do a search and see for your self. I'm not saying that the K&N filter will blow up your engine, i'm just saying that it doesn't filter as well as paper or the new nanofiber Amsoil filters and yes more dirt and other foreign particles will get into your engine with K&N vs. paper or nanofiber. This is factual information. With that said I have used K&N filters for a long time on various vehicles and have never had engine problems due to an air filter. But if superior air filters exist why not use them?
I would be all over the AmsOil nanofiber filter, however it seems there is a problem findinig the proper replacement part for the Stillen CAI... there is a long thread on this topic. In the mean time, the K&N is working fine.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:33 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by IP05G35
I actually haven't had my oil analyzed yet but there are plenty of vehicles that have had their results show high silicon with K&N filters and the number went down after they swapped in paper filters. Go to bobistheoilguy.com and do a search and see for your self. I'm not saying that the K&N filter will blow up your engine, i'm just saying that it doesn't filter as well as paper or the new nanofiber Amsoil filters and yes more dirt and other foreign particles will get into your engine with K&N vs. paper or nanofiber. This is factual information. With that said I have used K&N filters for a long time on various vehicles and have never had engine problems due to an air filter. But if superior air filters exist why not use them?
Everything stated in this post is true. I too have used K&N filters in nearly every car I've owned including my G35. Recently I yanked my K&N panel filter out because it was filthy. At the same time, I cleaned my MAF sensor and I also cleaned the MAF screen, of which coated in black residue. All I know is that after replacing my K&N filter and cleaning the MAF sensor, the car drove noticeably better. This is with an OEM panel filter. I'm leery to "recharge" my K&N filter and reinstall it because the MAF sensors in these cars seem to be extremely sensitive and the residue all over the MAF screen worries me a bit. Is it K&N filter oil? Or is that just all the additional dirt the K&N is letting in? When I got the car over 2 years ago with 22K miles, I inspected the MAF and screen and they were both clean. With 25K miles and a K&N filter, the screen was coated in residue. I'll be most likely ordering an Amsoil filter.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:26 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
A bunch a unwarranted hysteria as usual... Okay everyone, yank out your K&Ns

Old 03-18-2007, 01:46 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
A bunch a unwarranted hysteria as usual... Okay everyone, yank out your K&Ns
Chill out, Chief. This is my experience and yours might differ.

For those that are interested, here are some sources of information regarding the +/- of using oiled cotton filters:

http://offroadpakistan.com/blog/tech...rs_work_1.html

http://www.autoblog.com/2005/09/07/h...-filters-work/

Last edited by DaveB; 03-18-2007 at 01:51 AM.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:14 AM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I ran a panel for some time and when I cleaned my MAF, it was perfectly clean.

It's difficult to say if Amsoil's new filter is any better because there's no data on it. If you guys have it, post it up. (not the site data that I've already posted)