G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

G35s vs. TL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 06:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: G35s vs. TL

From the side view it shares a LOT with the 2004 Camry, especially around the doors - that sort of indented area looks real familiar, and to me this is NOT a good thing....Both are kinda bland, older guy, wanna be sporty - not what I am looking for and I am sorta an older guy - I'm 44. My dad, who is 76, says the new Camry styling "speaks" to him. I am sure he would be a big fan of the TL's styling as well.

On the positive side, he thinks my G35 sedan is Smokin'!!!

Old 01-02-2004, 07:25 PM

I test drove the TL before purchasing the G. It definitely is a great car, but just not my cup of tea. If you like a car with a great interior then TL is your car. If you like a car with better sports like performance then G is your car.

As far as the S spec TL, well that won't be coming out for a while. Acura and its marketing crew will be stupid to release a S spec for a car that just came out 3 months ago. If there's a S spec it probably won't be out for another 2 years.

Old 01-02-2004, 08:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the TL is a really nice car. Its beautiful inside and out. And its a fast car...it was rated 5.7 0-60. I've driven it and the torque steer isnt that bad. It's really smooth and feels like a luxury car. I was actually deciding between the 04 TL and my G coupe but decided that i really wanted a coupe. I also think the G sedan looks unappealing...but thats just me. I know the front looks similar to the coupe but everything else on the exterior is just not my cup of tea. Oh and just for the record the TL concept is called "A-SPEC" not "S-SPEC" And the 300+ horsepower probably wont be FWD since Acura is developing an AWD for the upcoming RL. Acura is aware of the torque steer issue and i doubt they would try putting 300+ horses on a FWD. And it says nowhere in the article whether its FWD, RWD, or AWD.

2004 G35c Twilight Blue/black 6MT
Aero Package -- Splash Guards -- Premium -- Trunk Mat

Old 01-02-2004, 10:37 PM
Premier Member

Well, as a G35 sedan owner (04 5A/T premium, aero) I think the sedan is a beautiful car and the coupe is as beautiful but appeals perhaps too a different kind of person.
With regards too the Acura TL, I too was cross shopping that car along with a Volvo S60 R, an Audi 2.7TT and my G35. Honestly, they're all very nice cars, but for the money, RWD and sheer driving performance the G35 is the one for me.
Here's my comparo..forget the LexusIS300, BMW3 series and Cadillac CTS. The G35 outclasses all these fine cars by way of bang for the buck , size, exterior/interior styling and sheer performance (RWD). The BMW 530i (03/04), the Acura TL '04, the Volvo S60 Type R AWD and the Audi A6 2.7TT are the way too go for any kind of real comparison test. The Audi 2.7TT will be phased out this coming model year, but for right now let's see a car magazine do the numbers on these cars ans as for an Acura AWD, not likely..it's common knowledge Acura/Honda don't really have any plans for anything resembling this kind of drivetrain within the next few years, they already have a great car in the Honda S2000.

Old 01-02-2004, 10:38 PM

Get it straight junior - the sedan came out first and without it's success the coupe would have never seen production. If the front ends are similar, it is the coupe that looks like the sedan because the sedan came first. Without the sedan the coupe would have been nothing but an interesting concept car that was forgotten as quickly as all concept cars are - in one year when the new ones roll out.

You are welcome to your opinion about the sedan's looks, no matter how ridiculous it makes you sound. Both cars are beautiful overall, but the sedan looks better from several angles, especially the ones that expose the coupe's BIG FAT ***.

With the same transmissions, performance is so close as to be a wash.

In every other way the sedan is a MUCH better car. Lighter, more comfort, room for four adults, more storage/bigger trunk, far better stereo, lower insurance costs, memory seats, far better visibility etc. etc. etc.

Old 01-02-2004, 10:48 PM

i cant find the exact article stating the AWD but here are some links that talk about the subject

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/?www.au...y.php?id=38178

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=168212

http://www.templeofvtec.net/news/new...item_id=117192

Old 01-02-2004, 10:51 PM

I'm sorry about my comment about the sedan but thats just my opinion. I was simply responding to the thread starters post. No disrespect to any g sedan people because I'm sure all of you love your cars. It's just a matter of opinion. I would take the TL over the G sedan anyday. But thats just me

Old 01-02-2004, 10:58 PM

ncg35plus -- Here is the real article for car and drivers review and it clearly states "Zero to 60 mph comes in just 5.7 seconds, with the quarter-mile following 8.7 seconds later at 99 mph. "

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1

geespot -- i'm pretty sure that the coupe was fully planned to come into production even if the sedan wasn't too successful. Why would nissan make a skyline sedan without a skyline coupe. Maybe you meant 'releasing' the skyline coupe in the U.S. In that case, maybe your right

Old 01-03-2004, 12:58 AM

When you call someone's car ugly twice within a few lines in one post on their own(sedan) forum, it is definitely disrespect, whether you meant it to be or not.

To say you would prefer the TL over the G35 Sedan suggests that the difference between a rear wheel drive performance sedan and a front wheel drive semi-luxury people hauler is lost on you. Don't sweat it, lots of other people don't get it either.

As far as looks go, they are of course always subjective. The new TL borrows much from the 2004 Camry and as such seems very bland and uninspiring to me. You notice I was able to share my opinion without straight out calling the TL ugly. It is a thing called tact, and it is a good tool to acquire and use. In truth though, the new TL isn't ugly, it is just a very average looking car.

Old 01-03-2004, 10:20 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, IMO, the TL doesn't look that much like the Camry!

Brilliant Silver/Graphite '04 Sedan/5AT

Old 01-03-2004, 11:56 AM

I test drove the both the G35 and TL before buying. The TL is a fine car but the torque steering turned me way off as well as the jacka$$ dealer. After buying the G35x all I can say is that this is an awesome car and it will definitely take business away from Audi.