G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Maxima to a G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maxima to a G35

My lease just expired on my 2001 Maxima and I went through the difficult process of deciding if I wanted a new Maxima. The 2001 was excellent and served me well. Much as I tried, I just could not warm up to the new styling. With the added horsepower over my 2001 (227), the torque steer is just too much. I was also not impressed with the interior for a $ 30,000+ car.

I also looked at the Accura TL. As indicated in some other forum posts, the TL is a very nice car with great fit and finish. While not as severe as the Maxima, the front wheel drive hurts overall performance and handling. The Accura dealer would also only discount $ 300 off sticker.

Initially I did not consider a G35 as the closest dealership is around 80 miles away. Did decide to check it out, which turned out to be a great decision. Performance and road handling are far better than the Maxima, and no torque steer. Fit and finish quality also appears to be superior. Styling is also great, with a nice mix of luxury and performance elements. I chose the Desert Platinum, which has a nice, upscale appearance. Pricewise, I was within a $ 1,000 or so of a Maxima, with similar features. While I give up a little interior room over the Maxima, the performance can't be beat for the price. The Infiniti dealership (also handles Jaguar) was well above the typical Nissan dealership in customer service. Because of the distance, the Infiniti dealership offers a valet plan. For a one time up front fee, they will provide drop off of a loaner vehicle to my home or work, take the Infiniti in for service, and then return it, for as long as I own the vehicle. I'm not planning to use this extensively, as I understand Nissan dealers will do the routine oil changes, etc. Has anyone had experience with getting service at a Nissan dealership? The sales staff of course denied doing service on Infiniti, when I mentioned I'm considering a G35.

While I read a couple of posts regarding too many G35s on the road, I have the opposite situation. In our area, it's rare to see an Infiniti. It's neat to get the looks and questions (including "what's an Infiniti", from the less informed).

I'm glad to be part of the G35 family.

Old 01-21-2004, 05:39 PM
Re: Maxima to a G35

I also traded a Maxima for the G and have all routine maintenance done at the Nissan dealership 2 miles away.For warranty I have to go to the Infiniti place,35 miles away.

2003.5 G35
2003 350Z
2003 Murano SL

Old 01-21-2004, 06:57 PM

Walt, Congrats on the purchase, and welcome to the family.

Just curious, where do you live? Coming from a G35-saturated area, it's interesting to see how the rest of world looks.

2003.5 G35 Sedan 6MT Brilliant Silver on Graphite
Premium/Aero/Sport/Tints/Factory Chrome Rims

Old 01-21-2004, 08:28 PM

I live in the central Pennsylvania area. The closest dealerships are to the south in the Baltimore, MD area and to the east in the Allentown and Philadelphia areas. Likely, there is the concern that the area would not support the sales volume, although we have Accura, Lexus, Jaguar, Mercedes, etc. I heard it was being looked at, but probably would be a couple of years away. I understand Nissan will not allow an Infiniti dealership to be side by side with a Nissan dealership, although locally we currently have a combined Lexus/Toyata dealership and an Accura/Honda dealership.

Old 01-21-2004, 09:10 PM

walt, its the same here too. i have only seen like 2 or 3 sedan's on the road, and never seen a DG like mine. i see about 1 or 2 coupes a week, and there all auto's. oh well more fun for me, cause i have a rare car. lol...

High Point NC
04 G35 6MT Sedan, Diamond Graphite on Black.
Arrived on 10/20/03
Mods include.
20% tint
INJEN CAI, black
clear bra
clear corners

Rip 2002 Altima 2.5s blk/grey 5/30/02-10/7/03

Old 01-21-2004, 09:28 PM

Here in Memphis, TN we have an Infiniti dealership right across the street from a Nissan dealership. I have owned both a Maxima and an Infiniti. The Inifiniti dealer offers a loner program for service work. Nissan offers a sticky shuttle van, or points down the road toward a "nice" car rental agency. The folks at Infiniti are more experienced, and more professional.

'03 G35 5AT Sedan, Garnet Fire/Willow
18x8 SSR GT1/Bridgestone S03 225/45/18Y
Eibach Pro-Kit Springs & Anti-Sway Kit
Stillen Cat-Back Dual Exhaust System

Old 01-21-2004, 09:53 PM
Central PA

It's very strange that we don't have an Infiniti dealer here in Central PA. Last time I asked Infiniti they said they didn't discuss those plans and didn't know until the dealer opened. But, I think they would do great here, now that they have some truly great products (G35, FX, soon to be M, etc).

Time will tell.

Old 01-21-2004, 09:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Central PA

What exactly is Central PA? Around Wilkes-Barre?

Brilliant Silver/Graphite '04 Sedan/5AT

Old 01-21-2004, 09:58 PM

I've seen a G or 2 at the local Nissan dealer (Brenner) - I was also cross-shopping the Maxima and Murano. But, from what I understand they can't do warranty work as they are 2 totally separate entities on the accounting books. However, I see no reason why they couldn't do oil changes and maintenance. In fact, I do plan on using them for some of the maintenance, as my selling dealer is 160 miles away (don't ask) and it will be impractical to use them all the time.

Old 01-21-2004, 09:59 PM

Little further south. Harrisburg, Lancaster, York....

Old 01-21-2004, 11:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DITTO for me, almost to a T! I had a 97 Maxima, but couldn't go with the new Maxima styling. I loved the Nissan engines (having a SE-R before the Maxima) and wanted to stick with the family. And yup, LOVE the G!

Anyhow, the closest Infiniti dealership is about 80 miles away for me as well. I am also in a small city where I've only rarely seen other Gs, just two so far, although my next door neighboor has an old G20. I also get a lot more stares here, which is fun.

I had no problem at all taking my car into Nissan for the oil change. I also picked up touchup paint and a Z tube there. I had also asked about this when purchasing the car and Infiniti said it wouldn't be a problem, but warranty work does need to be done at Infiniti. I expect I'll take the car back to Infiniti for major milestones and just make a trip out of it. Not a big deal as it only happens every year at most, if that.

Have fun, and welcome!

2003.5 Sedan Black/Black w/ sport, premium, aero, and winter packages. See my profile for updated mods list and pics.

Old 01-21-2004, 11:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh, okay, thanks, I really should know this since I am from Bucks County originally!

Brilliant Silver/Graphite '04 Sedan/5AT

Old 01-21-2004, 11:45 PM

Walt,

I'm in your area and have a DP sedan also. I've either seen you around town, or there are some other local G-owners. I've made four or five sightings of other DP or BS sedans, one OB sedan, and a few coupes. Compared to the number of Mercedes, BMW's and Jag's that are around the G is definately a rare sight.

A Nissan exec at the auto show last year mentioned that there would be an Infiniti dealer on the west shore within two years, but I haven't been able to get any type of confirmation. I'm not putting much faith into his statement, and honestly, I think I'd rather deal with the inconvenience than to lose the uniqueness.

Old 01-21-2004, 11:59 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Also went from a Max (2k2-SE) to a G. As nice as the Max was, I love the G more. (I miss the heated s/wheel tho)

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red>
<font color=red>GSM</font color=red>
<font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 01-22-2004, 07:58 AM

Thanks guys. Nice to hear some others have gone out of their way to purchase a G35. I had to explain this one to my wife. Also good to know we have members in the Central PA area.

I plan to do the same on service,,, take it to the local Nissan dealership for oil changes, but have the more extensive services done at Infiniti. I was also told all warranty work needs to be done at an Infiniti dealership. With the valet service, this should not be an inconvenience.

Had the car for 4 days now. Everything is great. However, I do find some of the controls (i.e. steering wheel, heat), not as intuitive as on the Maxima. Justs take getting used to. Everything else is superior.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Maxima to a G35