G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Rear-Wheel-Drive preventing me from getting g35!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 10:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Rear-Wheel-Drive preventing me from getting g3

Damn, please.please send some of that to New Mexico!!!!

Brilliant Silver/Graphite '04 Sedan/5AT

Old 01-28-2004, 08:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

it just seemed like the video was a little bias towards the rear wheel drive. If I turned the traction control off on the BMW and gave it gas in turns like she did the back would come around.

<hr></blockquote>

When she did the little roundabout, she did it with the TC on and off on the Beemer.

Yes, it was a bit biased. There are technique issues with FWD vs RWD. As a driver, you have to adjust how you use throttle, when you brake, etc. You can't "power through turns" necessarily, but you can get them to turn better than that Alpha did. Granted it was supposed to simulate "emergency" response, but still, they did not address technique, and I sense she was a die-hard RWD driver.

Like I said, I'm a big fan of RWD, but my current car is FWD. I autocross occasionally, and I can tell you that if I ever get my dream RWD car, I'll have to relearn how to drive.

Also, just to add a counterpoint to my earlier post, Grassroots Motorsports (GRM) did a similar comparo of F vs R vs A, and the FWD did display a slight advantage over RWD on a wet autocross course. AWD, of course, killed them both in all conditions. Such comparos are limited in usefulness, because you just can't control enough factors (weight, power, etc.) but still...

Old 01-28-2004, 02:12 PM

Valid points RogerB.

If it's a G it's 4 me!

2004 G35x
Diamond Graphite~Graphite~Premium~Wood~Splash Guards~7 Wire Grounding Kit~Z-Tube

178518-G35X badge.jpg

Old 01-28-2004, 02:20 PM

You are getting a ~$30,000 car and bitching about spending $800 on snow tires? (Actually $620 shipped from Tirerack if you go with steel wheels)

Practically anybody should be able to switch to snow tires on rims in less than an hour. It is a one time expense, and your summer tires will last a little longer since they are not being used for a few months a year. In the long run your total tire budget should be about the same, except for the initial cost of an extra set of rims.

98 Maxima SE, 5-speed.
Next car, G35S 6MT?

Old 01-29-2004, 09:24 AM

I've got a sedan and live in upstate ny. We've gotten over 120 inches of snow so far this season (a record for us)... I can say that the G handles wonderfully in the snow with snow tires. I drove a little with the original RSA's and i was dissappointed with how they handled. Certainly they could have been worse (i was able to make it home on some bad evenings, but i could feel the car sliding at around 30-35ish). Now i'm able to take the same conditions, and worse at 45-55 and the car still feels good. Traction Control certainly helps a lot in these conditions..

BTW, I purchased my snow tires (michelin arctic alpins and steel rims) for under 600. Mounting them on the sedan is easy and doesn't take much time. Definately worth the money to invest into the tires.

Old 01-29-2004, 01:39 PM

Everyone is mentioning snow tires like it is no big deal to spend an additional $1,000 and every winter have to drag 500 pounds of tires to an auto shop and pay 200 bux to get em changed

<hr></blockquote>
You are dramatically overstating the costs here. I went with Q rated Blizzaks and they cost $470.50 delivered from Tire Rack. Add another $60 for mounting/balancing. I like these better than the high speed rated snows as they have almost twice the tread depth. Since these are significantly cheaper than the standard equipment summer tires, and you are not using the summer tires when the snows are on the car, you will therefore get 40% longer life from your summer tires. Because of this, in the long run, snow tires cost you nothing.

Also, maybe 500lbs would be correct for a set of tires for a large truck, but tires on the G weigh about 25 lbs each without rims, and maybe twice that with rims.

The only real pain with swapping to Q rated snow tires is you have to keep the G under 99mph while the snows are on!

I live in the Northeast, and even if I had a FWD car I'd buy snow tires. It's just safer; and I value the lives of myself and especially my passengers too much. Given the minimal costs; it's a no brainer.

Also, the G with Q rated snows is fine in even the deepest snow; well at least until about 2" over the front spoiler (12"+??). When it gets that deep, there is a snow-plow tendency that will make the rear very light, (assuming you haven't resorted to the aforementioned extra weight in the trunk).

04 G35s 6MT BS Aero Kit/Nav/Prem
Warning: Objects in Mirror Are Losing!

Old 01-29-2004, 02:15 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My Blizzak LM-18 / wheel combo weighs 46.5 lbs each.

I agree, even with FWD or even AWD, it's a god idea to run with winter tires all round if you're in the snow belt.

<font color=green>GroundingGear™ Equipped </font color=green>

Old 01-30-2004, 02:43 PM

In the debate with your dad, I think the key here is to let him know that you are aware that RWD can have more difficulty driving in snow, but that it can be done by driving carefully. Also, you may have to be more judicious about going out in certain cases - you'll want to keep your car clean anyway. I have the coupe with summer tires, but I've made it around in the snow when I've had to. Since your dad isn't forcing you to get an AWD truck or SUV, I think convincing him to let you get RWD over FWD shouldn't be that difficult. But in the end, he's your father and you should respect his decision.

gunga

Old 01-31-2004, 03:26 AM
Re: Rear-Wheel-Drive preventing me from getting g35!!!

Unless you have to have an import, you may look at the Impalla SS. On second thought, you probably need to stay away from the SS, and anything else with over 200 horses.

Salesman let me keep an SS overnight. Low and mid range pull was AWESOME, felt like a V8 pulling. And...(remember, I'm an old man)...the SS rode a lot smoother than the G.

MSRP on the SS is around 31k, with $3500 rebate and before we even started talking, the dealer offered me the SS for $27,800.

On-On
S&S

Old 01-31-2004, 04:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's blasphemy. The only "Impala" that should be allowed to carry the SS designation is the one they discontinued in '96 based on the Caprice platform.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 01-31-2004, 05:18 PM

Actually, when I hear SS I think of my high school buddy's old Chevelle SS.

The Impalla SS is 6k-8k cheaper, it's fast enough (feels faster than the G because of the low end torque from the supercharger), and when he wrecks it (he's a kid, he WILL wreck it) it will be ALOT cheaper to fix.

On-On
S&S

Old 01-31-2004, 08:40 PM

Actually, when I hear SS I think of my high school buddy's old Chevelle SS.

<hr></blockquote>
Oh boy, yes, those were some kind of automobile, I knew several guys who had those, one was a '67 SS 396, damn, that car was fast!

Brilliant Silver/Graphite '04 Sedan/5AT<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by ABQ_G35 on 01/31/04 05:40 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 02-01-2004, 10:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cheaper in some ways, but not in others. Those 3800 engines run the accessory drive belt around a motor mount. Changing the simple accessory belt becomes an expensive proposition.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 02-01-2004, 11:46 AM

Oh, that's a lovely design, geez, makes me wonder if these automotive engineers (designers) are masochists! Kind of like those old 63 Vettes that you had to tip the battery in order to get it out from under the fender!
[img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Brilliant Silver/Graphite '04 Sedan/5AT