G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Rear-Wheel-Drive preventing me from getting g35!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 11:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear-Wheel-Drive preventing me from getting g35!!!

I am in the market for my first car. Well yesterday, i thought I had it.
2003 Infiniti G35 Sedan
Motortrend Car of the year.

So it was just right, hardly any miles, super low price, power everything, black, beautiful, and AS we are on our way out the door to go pick it up, i happened to mention something about the Rear-Wheel-Drive setup of the car.
Now my dad, apprehensive of getting the car in the first place, used this as his quick ticket to back out, and started ranting and bullshitting how how Rear-Wheel-Drive is horrible, impossible to drive in the snow, and about how I will not even be able to use the car in the winter time. (I live in new york, we get a fairshare of snow) He seems to think RWD cars can't even be driven on icy roads or any inclement conditions.
I obviously attempted to argue this to the death, bullshitting about how it will be fine and whatnot, but i really am not sure if he's right!.... Is he right? What can i show him to prove he's wrong, or atleast make it look like he's wrong.

[censored] [censored] THE FRUSTRATION AND [censored]DISSAPOINTMENT

P.S. No spoiled BS because i am paying for half the car and completely appreciate how lucky I am to get a car like this.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by pestilence on 01/27/04 08:46 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 01-27-2004, 11:29 AM
Re: Rear-Wheel-Drive preventing me from getting g3

Let's just say this -
I lived in N. NJ (outside NYC) and got through 1992-2000 with RWD Mustangs.
I now own a Mustang and a G35.

RWD is fine in the snow with:
1) Snow/Winter tires
2) Weight in the trunk
3) Cautious driving.

In fact, the car I'm using as a winter beater here in PA is a RWD Mustang and it runs great in the snow with 200lbs in the trunk + all seasons.

Don't listen to him - RWD is fine in the snow as long as you're careful.

Old 01-27-2004, 11:33 AM

Have you considered the all-wheel drive model that is available now?

2004 G35S 6MT Desert Platinum/Willow

Old 01-27-2004, 11:38 AM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Rear-Wheel-Drive preventing me from getting g35!!!

Move to L.A. or Houston. No snow or ice!

2003 Twilight Blue 5AT Sedan, sunroof,
Graphite Leather, splashguards,
12 wire Hyper-grounding kit,
350Z intake duct, Stillen Hi-Flow Airbox
Underbody rear diffusers, Drilled aluminum pedals

Old 01-27-2004, 11:39 AM

Nope, there is like a $10,000 difference between the new all wheel drive one and this slightly used 03'

Old 01-27-2004, 11:44 AM

RWD with snow tires and common safety aids like TC, VSC (and careful driving) is better than FWD with all-season tires. There is a reason that even Detroit companies like GM and Chrysler are going back to RWD and abandoning cheaper FWD. Just budget about $800 for winter tires/wheels.

'04 G35 Sedan 6MT in Diamond Graphite/Graphite with Premium, Nav, Aero
'02 Acura MDX Touring in Redrock Pearl/Saddle with wood bits, cargo stuff

Old 01-27-2004, 11:46 AM
Premier Member

I live in Chicago and have been driving RWD cars (apart from my 300M) for about 10 yrs. We also get a fair amount of snow. The thing too remember (and I didnn't do this this year too save a little money-stupid me!!) is too get a set of dedicated snow tires (check out tirerack.com). These plus a little weight and driving carefully will sort you out. Remember also that the RWD G35 is a performer and when thae snow melts, you'll have one of the best performing cars money can buy. RWD = handling, performance FWD = torque steer and reduced handling.

Old 01-27-2004, 11:48 AM

Modified post for vulgar language..

Just get some snow tires and you should be fine.

Old 01-27-2004, 11:54 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have <font color=blue>always</font color=blue> owned RWD cars, have never had a FWD, and sure, if you don't know how to drive them in snow and ice, there could be a problem, but I think once you got used to the difference, you would be just fine with the RWD, I haven't had the opportunity to drive my G in snow yet, but am not concerned one bit! Now, of course if your dad has the final say, it may be a moot point!
[img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Brilliant Silver/Graphite '04 Sedan/5AT

Old 01-27-2004, 12:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With snow tires, traction control, sand, and caution you will be OK. Now if it's your first car I can see his hesitation, but with these guidelines it all comes down to your abilities and maturity level. I can't speak to that though, that's between you two. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

You may also want to show him this video that shows how RWD can be better, especially on dry roads.

<a href="http://www.crownvic.us/movies/top_gear_transmissions.avi">http://www.crownvic.us/movies/top_ge...nsmissions.avi</a>

2003.5 Sedan Black/Black w/ sport, premium, aero, and winter packages. See my profile for updated mods list and pics.

Old 01-27-2004, 12:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One other thing to highlight is the traction control. If he's old school and thinking of the RWD cars of the 70s and 80s, it's a HUGE difference with traction control. If you put on snow tires and sand bags to help with the grip, it will be excellent.

I have all seasons and with the traction control I do just fine in the winter, but snow tires would give a lot more confidence.

2003.5 Sedan Black/Black w/ sport, premium, aero, and winter packages. See my profile for updated mods list and pics.

Old 01-27-2004, 12:44 PM

Everyone is mentioning snow tires like it is no big deal to spend an additional $1,000 and every winter have to drag 500 pounds of tires to an auto shop and pay 200 bux to get em changed, then do the same thing to put the regular tires back on 3 months later.
ARGGGH, why couldn't this car just be AWD or something.

How does the car perform with it's stock tires, can they handle a bit of snow?

Could it be possible just to upgrade the car with a nice set of some all-season tires that perform well in the snow, but perform equally well as the stock tires in regular conditions?<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by XYZxxx on 01/27/04 09:49 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 01-27-2004, 12:53 PM

I think all of the "FWD is better in bad weather" stuff is mostly lowest common denominator, "Click and Clack" type BS.

The major limitation of FWD on dry pavement is that the front tires are asked to do double duty. Tires only have so much traction, period. Acceleration and cornering both eat into available traction, and in FWD, the front tires are doing both. This limitation doesn't go away when the roads are slick. The chief advantage? Better launch at the stoplight, because of the weight bias over the front wheels.

In RWD, the duties of steering and driving are split. Same available traction at each corner, but now more of it usable on a single task. Better dynamic traction, not just "stoplight" traction.

The only demon of RWD is oversteer, which comes about when a poorly balanced car is pushed too hard. The G35 is well-balanced, and the VDC takes care of happy-footed drivers who get in over their heads.

I drive an FWD car with traction control, and I bought into all the FWD hype 8 years ago. I love the car, but my next one will be RWD. No question about it.

Old 01-27-2004, 01:04 PM

awesome video.. It was pretty cool

Old 01-27-2004, 01:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, it was a good example of the handling differences, and the TC makes a huge difference, had it for the first time in my '00 Mustang GT! The woman wasn't bad either![img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Brilliant Silver/Graphite '04 Sedan/5AT

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rear-Wheel-Drive preventing me from getting g35!!!