G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

New Sedan questions. NEWBIE NEEDS HELP !

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 08:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Sedan questions. NEWBIE NEEDS HELP !

Hi Y'all,

Newbie here. I'm looking to get a 6mt sedan. My local dealer has one in stock and it's a 2003 with the full aero package. I really like the looks of the standard sedan with no rocker panels or rear wing. They can remove the wing ( trade trunk lids I guess ) but they can't remove the skirts. Can they be removed and if so what is left underneath ?

Also, what are the differences between the 2003 and the 2004? I know the 03 doesn't have seat heaters ( not a problem ) but does it still have the limited slip?

One more thing. The two times I've driven this car I've smelled the clutch. I drive stick everyday and have an Alfa Romeo as my "fun" car so I'm great. I never smell the clutch on my other cars except when I intentionally toast it. Is this a common feature of this car?

I need answers because even though I don't like the stuff they want to make me a killer deal on the car ( they may even trade the chrome sport wheels it has with the 18's from the coupe). My wife thinks I should compromise to get a good deal but for this amount of money shouldn't I get what I want ?

Thanks a lot,

Dan
Stevenson Ranch, CA

Old 01-27-2004, 08:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: New Sedan questions. NEWBIE NEEDS HELP !

You should get what you want. I personally love the look of the spoiler and think it makes the sedan. But to each his own.
Only the 2004 has the limited slip differential.

There are literally hundreds of used 2003 sedans for sale each month on eBay and autotrader so look around. There aren't very many used 6MTs for sale but they're out there.

--Steve

Old 01-27-2004, 09:12 PM

Is it new or used (there are still some new '03s to be found)?

If new, it's probably the coating Nissan uses to keep things from rusting on the boat ride over here. It will burn off in a week or so (depending on the temp.) My '04 sedan made that smell and after talking with the dealer, it's normal (he said it happens all the time on their test drives). After a week, my smell is reducing noticeably and you barely smell it.

Old 01-27-2004, 09:20 PM

yeah, the "burning clutch smell" (which could also be partly brake smell too) lasted about 2 weeks and now it's gone.

04 6MT sedan, black/willow

Old 01-27-2004, 10:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I still smell it after a freeway drive, not bad though! But every new car I've had has had some smell similar to that for several months!

Brilliant Silver/Graphite '04 Sedan/5AT

Old 01-28-2004, 11:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No '03 sedan is available with an LSD.

Removing the skirts is possible, but the front bumper has to be completely replaced with the non-aero bumper. Probably more hassle than they want to deal with.

The '03 doesn't come standard with seat heaters, but it is available in the Winter Package.

If it's a new car, the "burning clutch" smell occurs on the automatics, as well. As mentioned by others here, it's a protective coating put on the exhaust system for shipping. It burns off in a few weeks and goes away.

As for the deal, that's entirely up to you. If you think the "deal" is worth it, go for it. If it's not exactly what you want and that's going to bother you, then hold out for what you want. Me, personally, if I'm going to spend this much money on a new car, it's going to have exactly the options I want, nothing more and nothing less. Think of it this way: would you rather spend a couple of months waiting for the perfect car, or spend a couple of years wishing your car had this or didn't have that? Although, if it's an '03, still new, I imagine they're pretty hot to get rid of it by now.. so the deal could be enticing. Your call, really.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 01-28-2004, 10:26 PM

Yeah, It was a good deal but I wrote it off. Too many things I didn't like.

I did find another silver 03 6mt with prem and nav ( and NO SPOILERS ! ) and they can probably make a killer deal. I don't need seat heaters in so cali. It probably doesn't have LSD though. There is another dealer that has 4 2004's without spoilers and just prem. May not get as good pricing though.

I guess I have to decide how important LSD is vs. nav and lower price.

Dan
Stevenson Ranch, CA