G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Shifted to Park while driving...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 11:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifted to Park while driving...

I accidently threw my shifter into park while pulling out of a parking lot this week. I had been waiting a long time to pull-out of a parking lot and I finally got an opportunity, but then the car that was in the second lane over decided to move over into my lane, so I gunned it. I had been in manual mode most of the afternoon and I could of sworn I had it in manual mode again; the car seemed like it was not shifting. Long story short, with the car coming over into my lane I got flusstered, and in an attempt to shift the car into the next gear I threw her in Park :/

The car started making a loud ticking noise, at which time I let off the gas and immediately pulled over to the curb. I sat there in shock at first, but I was sticking out in the turn lane, so I had to get going. I put her into drive and drove away.

The car seems fine. Can someone tell me what I may have done to my car?

Old 09-08-2007, 11:36 AM
are you sure it went into park? If you were moving at all you should have been locked out of park and reverse I think, so it would take a mighty blow to get it from drive to park through reverse.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:55 AM
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
The car will not shift into park if you are going over a certain speed (don't remember what it is). If it actually went into park, you would know because the car would have stopped (abruptly). If it didn't actually stop, you have nothing to worry about - the G TCU saved your AZZ!

Old 09-08-2007, 12:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know when I'm at work and driving these POS Crown Vics, sometimes I accidentally shift the car into park while it's still rolling at 2-3 mph. When this happens, there is a loud rapid "clicking" noise and the car slows down and stops. Perhaps the clicking noise is some sort of safety feature that doesn't allow the transmission to fully go into park......or maybe its the sound of the tranny gears being grinded down.......

Old 09-08-2007, 12:46 PM
Your car is fine. I did this accidentally to my 96 Maxima. The car is smart enough to not allow the car to slam into park. The clicking noise in normal.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 09-08-2007, 06:09 PM
I believe the clicking noise is the parking "pawl" that locks the car from moving when it's in park. I believe this pawl is spring loaded and that might be the noise you heard. I do not know what the effect of this is but if the car seems to be working OK, then say thanks upstairs and don't do that again

Old 09-09-2007, 12:59 AM
First of all, I appreciate everyone's response. I feel pretty sh***y for what happened. I know I threw her into Park, because when I pulled over after hearing the clicking noise, I looked down and it was in Park. After thinking it over, I think the reason I thought I was in manual mode was because my tires were spinning coming out of the driveway. The spinning is the reason for the high RPMs, and the reason I tried to shift. If I were in manual, I probably would not have been able to shift into Park. Finally, I remember seeing the SLIP light blinking.

It's weird that the car didn't stop abruptly. Though, I don't know what TCU or "pawl" is. Perhaps someone could explain. Thanks again.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:02 AM
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
TCU - Transmission Control Unit - It's the computer that controls the transmission functions.

Old 09-09-2007, 02:43 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unless you do this daily (which I'm sure you don't) I wouldn't worry about it. I've done something similar and recall the clicking noises... but haven't seen any long term adverse affects. I would assume the clicking is the tranny trying to go into park but failing since it's rolling.

Sign a huge sigh of relief and move on and enjoy the ride.

Old 09-09-2007, 03:06 AM
Yeah. Most modern auto trannys have a safety built into it so that when you're going at speed, the car won't go into park, even if you put it in park.

Old 09-09-2007, 03:09 AM
You're gonna need a new transmission.

jk
You should be fine!

Old 09-09-2007, 11:51 AM
Thanks all. I feel much better (no sarcasm intended per the above post ).

Last edited by darich; 09-11-2007 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:39 PM
Most all transmissions have a park lever that will lock into place when you are stopped. The clicking noise you heard is that lever trying to find its hole to lock the transmission into park. When its moving it will not find its hole but it will make one hell of a clicking noise. All cars have this feature,even old cars will not go into park....no matter how hard you try they just make that horrible noise. Now older cars WILL go into reverse and let me tell you that can be loads of fun at 65 mph . You have got nothing to worry about!

Old 09-10-2007, 08:19 PM
Did the same thing with a Duster I used to have,only I put it in reverse.Engine shut off instantly.Re-started the car and all was good.Scared the hell out of me though.

Last edited by AgentAero04; 09-11-2007 at 12:34 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
DUDES i did the same thing in my 03 got some clicks "like 4" and now i get a whirling noise almost like a hiss!!!!!!!! it still drives like a beast....but it also hisses louder! i parked it until i can get it checked and i never took it over 40 since that day 2 weeks ago.....PS i kno im tread reviving but im sure a MOD can send me to the right place/person!!!!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Shifted to Park while driving...