G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Premium Package - Yes or No

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2003, 10:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Premium Package - Yes or No

I am looking at purchasing a new G35 Sedan. We have test driven the vehicle and love it. I was interested in finding out what options (i.e. Premium Package) would people purchase again now that they have had their car for a while.

The Premium Package sounds nice, but you can get the leather and sunroof model for $2200 less.
Bose Stereo - I have read a lot of posts here and on other boards and it sounds like a lot of people have had trouble with their cd players and that many think the Bose sound system does not sound as good as they expected
Reclining Rear Seats - does this option actually decrease the leg room with the seats upright? Since the seat back is what is adjustable (not the seat bottom) it appears as if leg room is reduced to allow for the tilting of the seat back.
Dual Climate Control - do you you really use it or is it more inconvenient to keep both sides at the same temp. than just having a single climate control?

Where can I find accurate invoice prices? A local dealer quoted me $750 over invoice, but the price that was quoted seems higher than $750 over invoice. Also, does this sound like a good price?

Thank you for your feedback and I look forward to your recommendations.

Old 02-16-2003, 10:44 AM
Re: Premium Package - Yes or No

Hi,

If I had kids etc, I would get the premium package. I have nothing but leather, sunroof., and I am happy with it. The standard stereo suits me fine too. I'm not a big fan of Bose anyway, so I am biased. Whatever you do don't change your mind on the car, it's great.

Old 02-16-2003, 12:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a base leather...no options, but there are two features I had on my previous car that I miss alot....Homelink...and electrchromatic auto dimming side and rear view mirrors.

Don't often have passengers, so dual auto AC and passenger power seat not a big deal. The standard stereo sounds better than the Bose I had in my Acura TL, and I only opened the sunroof (to clean it) a few times in 15 months of ownership, so don't miss that either. I'm in Florida, so seat warmers?

I am purchasing, and installing myself, an aftermarket trunk spoiler, and just had the car tinted...I'm a happy camper!

Except for the two options above...the base model with leather was a great fit for me....although I can't help but wonder if I could retrofit the autodimming mirrors....hmmmmm?

Old 02-16-2003, 12:52 PM

If possible, go for it ! I thought the dual A/C is just a marketing hype but in my previous car it worked out well: my wife always had a higher temperature set than me and it actually did satisfy both of us. The reclining rear seats are also a nice thing. The Bose system is good but I haven't tested it a lot since I only had the car for two weeks and I've only driven it twice (bad weather is to blame). I currently have the Premium package and if were to buy another G35, I would opt for it again.

Old 02-16-2003, 01:11 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Bose stereo is actually quite good and improves in sound with proper break-in, however, if you plan to upgrade to an aftermarket, then it's definitely not worth the money.
The reclining rear seats make it more comfortable for the passenger and do not affect the leg room.
I personally don't find the dual climate to be that useful as both my wife and I like the temperature pretty much the same. If your passenger likes his/her temp significantly different, it can be very useful.

Old 02-16-2003, 07:16 PM

I diddnt get the premium package and im happy with the car.. I do regret not getting NAV though!

..pestilence..

Old 02-17-2003, 03:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My opinion is why get an Infiniti (or any luxury brand) without the Premium package? It depends on you, really, and your budget.

I like the Bose stereo just fine.
The reclining rear seats have a modified rear deck to lean back into, they don't affect legroom. If anything, I think they might shave a couple of inches off your trunk space, but I don't know.
The dual climate control is nice.. just went on a highway trip, and the dual control was useful. It's not a problem to set them the same, you basically select between driver, passenger, or both. When you select both and adjust the temp, the passenger side jumps to match the driver side.

Someone mentioned that there is not point for seat warmers in Fl. Okay, but those aren't even part of the premium package.. it's a separate winter package. I'm in San Diego, and I have that one too. It includes side-mirror defrosters, and since my car sits out every night and gets morning dew, it comes in handy. Plus, my wife is pregnant, and she finds the seat warmer helps relieve lower back tension on long trips.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 02-17-2003, 08:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Three weeks ago, I had agreed with ryoken...why get a car, especially one you intend to keep and not lease, without the bells and whistles?

Well, a few reasons.....
- I replaced an '02 Acura TL which came pretty much loaded, and I found that I had rarely used the bells and whistles, if at all. So it became a question of spending more than $4K just so I could tell my friends and colleagues that I had a loaded car, pretty expensive bragging rights.
- Yeah.... my wife is pregnant too, but when we go out together, I have a more suitable (comfortable) option in the Sequoia.
- Reclining rear seats and dual climate control were tempting...but you know what they say, you can't miss what you never knew...

But you should get the premium pkg if you:
- will resell in 3 years or so, a base car is not attractive, or
- will find utility or enjoyment in the features of the prem pkg.

Although you are shelling out more than just chump change here, there's a pretty big emotional factor in a car purchase, especially a G35 purchase. So, if getting the bells and whistles really appeals to your inner child, and makes you really smile inside and out...go ahead, get the prem pkg.

You never, ever, want to utter the words "I should have...."

'03 Infiniti G35
'02 Toyota Sequoia

23872-avatar small.jpg

Old 02-18-2003, 04:13 AM

No. The deciding factor for me was when I auditioned and found that the Bose didn't sound as good as the standard system. Also, I have no need for dual climate controls (found it to be a nuisance in other cars) or reclining rear seats (we use our SUV for long hauls). I would have liked the homelink as an option (though my opener clips nicely to the passenger side dash pocket) and auto-dimming rearview mirror should be standard in this class.

HTBomb's Magical Hot Wheels

Old 02-18-2003, 11:32 AM

I believe the auto-dimming rear-view mirror is part of the premium package for most cars in this class.

Old 02-19-2003, 04:54 AM

Perhaps but it SHOULD be standard. Guess I'm still spoiled by my TL. EVERYTHING is optional on BMWs...

HTBomb's Magical Hot Wheels

Old 02-19-2003, 09:52 AM

I have it and use the options every day. Worth it to me.

Old 02-19-2003, 10:17 AM

Good question.
I did not get the premium package.
I gave a lot of thought about if I really needed the features it provided. I asked myself do i want to spend $2K for stuff I may use. Also I am leasing. I primarily am in the car myself. Dual temp controls was not a necessity, though I liked the reclining seats I asked myself how often would it be used? My kids are toddlers. The other car we have is an SUV and we tend to use that on long trips where recling seats might be nice. I did not opt for the premium package, mainly because I would not really utilize the features.

As for the Bose, I like it and the sound lacks a little midrange, it could be better, but the CD player functiosn are great, I have never had a problem. Bring a CD you are familiar with and play in both Stereos, this will help your decision making process.

Good luck, its a great first model car!

You will love it.

Dknibb
Emerald mist/ sport pkg/winter pkg/aero/Bose

Old 02-19-2003, 12:25 PM

I like options. I don't want a cookie-cutter car like everyone else. Besides, BMW offers options that aren't even available on most other cars. Although, I do admit, some of the things they make options are strange... like split-folding rear seats, that's something I'd think should just be included.