G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

6MT VS. 5 A/T

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2003, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6MT VS. 5 A/T

Do you guys think it's worth buying a 6MT without knowing how to drive a manual yet? I live in Miami, where there is a lot of stop and go traffic, and the dealer said they don't have enough to let me testdrive, so do you think I should buy the car and then learn how to drive it, or should I just opt with the 5 A/T. Is it really fun driving the 6MT sedan, and does anyone know the speed numbers on it. Thanks.

Old 02-16-2003, 03:04 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: 6MT VS. 5 A/T

That's impossible to decide for you. In my opinion for my driving in my neighbourhood, at my age, my A/T suits me to a tee. I can still have some fun 'shifting' and 'playing', or leave it in fully auto mode when I get lazy or traffic conditions get tough.
Other fellas are real dedicated to their 6M/T and wouldn't want it any other way, no matter what.
Your decision, but whatever you get will be a lot of fun.
Good luck [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=red>Gsedanman</font color=red>

Old 02-16-2003, 05:44 PM

If you don't know how to drive a manual, I would highly suggest learning on a beater upper car. Otherwise your going to trash your G35's clutch and syncro's.

that aside

Being your new to manuals, you would probably have tons of fun at first, but if you have to drive in heavy traffic all the time, you will eventually get tired of having to shift and push in the clutch constantly. And would probably regreat buying the 6 speed.

I live in Palm Springs California and its pretty much open roads out here, interestate 10 is pretty much opened (until you get to the 60 interchange anyways). But if I had to commute to L.A. I would of bought the automatic for sure.

Sounds to me in your circumstance I would probably stick with the 5 speed automatic. But if your still debating, I would find a friend who has a stick shift and see if him/her will let you try driving there car. You might hate manual tranmissions.

Old 02-16-2003, 05:48 PM

Oh yea, perfomrance wise, the 6MT will probably be few tenths quicker in the 1/4 mile then the automatic. I would imagine 0-60 times around 5.9 - 6.0 secs

Old 02-16-2003, 07:15 PM

Do you guys think I will seriously mess up the car if I try learning how to drive stick on my new G35. I don't know any friends that have good stick cars, and I don't want to mess up the clutch or anything like that on a G35. Thanks a lot guys.

Old 02-16-2003, 07:22 PM

I konw that WenGen (has a coupe, posts in the coupe forum) purchased her G35 as 6MT instead of 5AT.. it was her first stick experance and she likes it very much. she hasnt had any problems driving/learning it so far...

..pestilence..

Old 02-16-2003, 08:12 PM

Actually todays manual cars are a LOT easier to drive then ones 10 years ago. So odds are you won't screw up your car unless you really suck at shifting.

Like I said if you have to spend the majority of your time driving in traffic, then I would get the automatic. If you dont and you really want a 6MT, I say go for it. They are definatly fun and makes you feel like you have a lot more control of your car.

I still would suggest learning on someone elses car before you buy it tho, otherwise everyone at the dealership is going to be laughing there @ss off at you when you keep stalling it trying to get it out of the parking lot

Not to mention stalling it as your pulling out in front of a Semi-Truck... Not a pretty picture

Definatly get some practice, even if its on a crappy car your friend has. Atleast learn the basics.

Old 02-17-2003, 12:08 AM

I agree that you shouldn't try to drive it off the lot without learning now first...the other option is to take someone with you that knows how to drive manual to bring it home for you then sign up for lessons using your car. If it is your only car I would recommend getting the auto, as a second car it would be great to get the manual but to drive it every day in stop and go traffic is tuff since you really never have to take it out of second. I owned and drive manual cars for 8 years and was just getting fed up with heavy traffic, and with the manumatic the auto is still fun when you need to pass.

Red/Canadian

Old 02-17-2003, 05:06 AM

I'm a die hard manual transmission guy. All my cars have had manuals, although my G35 is auto since I bought it for my wife. I personally love the feeling of added control that a manual gives me. That being said, however, I think most people find a manual transmission to be a nuisance when they're in traffic a lot. You really won't know how you'll like it until you can drive it effectively. If you buy it, and then find you don't like it, you'll be kicking yourself. If you're really thinking about it, I'd definitely follow the advice that others have given you here, and learn on someone else's car before buying a new G with a manual. Another thing to consider is whether there are a lot of hills where you live. It's pretty easy to learn to drive a stick in a flat location. On the other hand, there's nothing more scary than getting stuck in stop and go traffic on hills if you have little to no experience with a clutch.

Old 02-17-2003, 03:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think you'll seriously mess up a car learning to drive a manual on it. Just be prepared to spend around $500 for a clutch job in about six months to a year, as you'll probably be rather hard on the clutch while learning.

Well, unless you grind the gears a lot... (changing gears w/o fully depressing the clutch, resulting in a loud grinding noise from the transmission as the gears eat each other).

Then, of course, with the 6MT, where are the cupholders for your drink?

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 02-17-2003, 06:40 PM

Do you have to step really hard on the clutch for the G35 when changing cars, or do u tap it?

Old 02-18-2003, 11:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may want to ask that question in the coupe forum, where there are many 6MT owners. My G35 is an auto. It's been a little while since I've owned a manual, and I've never driven anything by Nissan with a clutch.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 02-18-2003, 04:03 PM

the cup holders are in the short arm rest in my 6mt sedan, kinda bogus as you have to reach back.