G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

At what rpm do you shift in auto?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 07:41 PM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: At what rpm do you shift in auto?

I have the same exact sedan as gurgen in stock form, not with all the mods. I have a few anyway my car the 2003.5 full sports sedan will only shift when u push the lever up and bounces off redline and will not change by itself. i also downshift all of the time with it going to the next gear IE, 4th downshifting to 3rd it says 3rd and stays in high rpm's!! Mine doesnt shift automatically like some people say they have, ill take a video of it soon. Later iLLG

Wat'ssss Realllyyyy Goooodddd!!!!!

Old 02-24-2004, 08:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gurgen,

What ECU upgrade? Is it official or one of those things that voids the warranty?

When I complained about the "manumatic shifting" to my dealer, they said they called Infiniti and was told that the shift points were based on transmission pressure/rpm's, not input from the "manual" input of the driver. When I pointed out that wasn't very "manual", they said that was just the way it was...

Scott<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by stsurbrook on 02/24/04 05:15 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 02-24-2004, 08:32 PM
Premier Member

Everybody..I think there's a little confusion. Yes, the manual mode in the 5At will not shift up for you, it will however shift down for you. My initial point of the post was too figure out if the manual mode was in fact exclusivley driver controlled and it would seem it's still the car controlling the shift points. Gurgen hit the nail on the head by saying it was only a "high" gear selector which is exactly what it is. Gurgen by the way, you recentley posted some info of you at the track, how do you get around strategic shifting with this manu-matic or do you simply leave it in manual and watch the rpm?

Old 02-24-2004, 08:37 PM
Premier Member

Sorry, it was Ryoken who was at the track recentley..and he was also the one who hit the nail on the head...sorry.

Old 02-24-2004, 08:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Autocross, not track. I stick it in "2" before I start and just leave it there.

Only once have I hit the rev limiter in 2nd.. and that course had a very long straight, unusual for autocross. Only once have I come out of a corner wishing the #@#$ thing was in 1st when it stayed in 2nd. Usually it's just fine. It's nice to lock out the higher gears, though.. I've accidentally driven in "D" on course, and it shift up to 3rd or 4th when you let off the gas, then the delay and subsequent shock of downshifting coming out of the corner breaks the rear end free.

Old 02-24-2004, 08:51 PM

britishbloke,

When I'm serious, I manually shift my AT Sedan around 6800 rpm to allow for the transmission's slow response. To date I've yet to hit the TS modified 7200 rpm rev limiter.

DaveO - 2003 G35 Sedan / DP / Willow / AT / Premium / Sport
350Z Engine Cover, T-Stat & Air Duct / Stillen CAI
GG 7-Wire H-G Kit / TS ECU / E-Fans
Street Edge TC / B&M Cooler / Stillen Exhaust

Old 02-24-2004, 09:30 PM

I have a question guys.. and this is very important. When you are in 3rd gear in manumatic mode travelling at a low speed (say 30 mph or so) and you punch the gas, does your car automatically downshift into 2nd gear, or does it stay in 3rd.

Gurgen

Old 02-24-2004, 09:39 PM
Premier Member

Gurgen,

Mate, the car shifts regardless of driver input. It really is only a high gear selector for upshift and IMO only a downshift positive when you switch from "D" too manual too increase rpm's at a lower gear for passing or a burst of power. I just PM'd you this, if your car is any different I'd be curious too find out what you had done too it mate.

Cheers,

Andy.

Old 02-24-2004, 09:51 PM

Another reason to get the coupe . j/k.

G35 Coupe. Diamond Graphite, Graphite, Premium and wheel and Tire package. Zaino Baby.

Old 02-24-2004, 10:32 PM

why get the coupe, does it respond any differently? Does it not dwnshift at WOT from a higher gear? Explain please

Gurgen

Old 02-24-2004, 10:45 PM
Premier Member

The coupe difference, that i noticed was just that from a downshift the gear selected does display and holds there, so in essence it has a high & low gear selector versus only a high for the sedan?..if I'm wrong, I stand corrected. As far as the manu-matic goes it's a great gearbox, I just wish that maybe they would have used a sequential that gives full driver input, either way the car is the business.

Old 02-24-2004, 10:58 PM

That's exactly how the sedan's at is. What do you mean a low gear selector. If it was a low gear selector, that means it would NOT downshift on you ever. Meaning, you are going slowly at say 30mph, your gear is selected to 4th when you hit the gas WOT, and your car does NOT downshift to 3rd or 2nd? I would bet that it does!!!!

Gurugen

Old 02-25-2004, 12:58 AM

Gurgen I will test in the morning - I dont think it does - only down shift ocurrs dropping it to first degree when coming to a complete or almost complete stop.

Worth

2004 AT DG/Sport/Flaps/Premium/max tint/Bose/CAI Injen/6 wire ground kit/Custom ECU
next mod: Zaino baby

Old 02-25-2004, 10:08 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

When you are in 3rd gear in manumatic mode travelling at a low speed (say 30 mph or so) and you punch the gas, does your car automatically downshift into 2nd gear, or does it stay in 3rd.

<hr></blockquote>

With the '03 it stays in 3rd gear.

Old 02-25-2004, 10:12 AM

gurgen: I actually think it does shift lower....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: At what rpm do you shift in auto?