G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

At what rpm do you shift in auto?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 10:46 AM
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At what rpm do you shift in auto?

Was just wondering what rpm range other 5AT drivers shifted up for best performance in manual mode?

Old 02-24-2004, 11:17 AM
Re: At what rpm do you shift in auto?

Actually I dont think you really have a choice.. you can tell it to shift whenever you want..but its still going to shift when it feels like you would recieve the most power..

Old 02-24-2004, 12:04 PM
Premier Member

In auto? I understand what you're saying about driving in "D" when I meant when you shift up manually?

Old 02-24-2004, 12:27 PM

In Auto mode those points are handled by the ECU and how hard you stomp on the peddle...

I havent quite got the hang of manumatic mode, but it will shift at anypoint up to the rev limiter with a delay...I have had mine tuned to shift faster, but its still got a slight delay, but not like it did.

Basically decided where you want to shift and see what it is at 2 seconds before that point - thats the rpm you need to move the shifter up at...

Did that make any sense? lol

Worth

Old 02-24-2004, 12:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That doesn't really work either.

The "manual" mode is a top-gear selector, not a current-gear selector. If you floor it from a standstill in "1", and at about 3000rpm kick the lever up, it'll still climb to 6,000 before shifting. In fact, you can put it in "5" and floor it from a start and watch it climb through the gears and shift like it would in "D." The manual mode only locks out the higher gears and won't let it shift into them.

That's the sedan. For the coupe, it's a little different. When the coupe downshifts, it also drops the number on the dash down, locking itself out of the gear it just left. I think the '04 sedans do that, too.

Old 02-24-2004, 01:17 PM
Premier Member

So for all intense purposes the "maunual" mode is really a gimmick that's only perhaps good for say "downshifts" for passing etc.? I asked this question because I recentley drove the Coupe and that gearbox is totally different. Wsh they could have put a sequential gearbox in the sedan.

Old 02-24-2004, 01:43 PM
gsg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Twylight - what did you have done to make it shift faster??

Old 02-24-2004, 03:25 PM

Actually, the manual mode is more than a top-gear selector if you the ECU upgrade, as the redline is raised to 7200 rpm. Whn I am using the monumatic mode, I shift a little later so the shift occurs at around 7000-7100. This allows the engine to be in more of a sweat spot for the plenum/ECU upgrade that I have, as I have a very strong top end.

Gurgen

Old 02-24-2004, 04:03 PM

couple of things:

2004 shifter seems to be a true shifter - you bounce off the redline in all gears best I can tell if you dont shift... I have tried this in 1,2, and 3 and I bounce off my redline in all gears.

Higher RPM and redline bounce can be changed via a custom ECU (Technosquare, others)
Mine is set around 7800 right now.

I can do some testing if you like...I have a DG 2004 AT w/CAI injen intake, exhaust and a very custom ECU/Consult II modded set of chips, but they didnt play with the shifter, only the shiftpoints and ECU not retarding them. IE if I hit the gas I will shift around 7100-7200 rpms with the pedal or 1-2-3-4-5 method if I time it right.

On a side note I have grinded before shifting at the 7100-7200 point - is that cause I left VDC on?

Worth

Old 02-24-2004, 04:49 PM

Mine is also a "true shifter" in so far as your definition is concerned. It does NOT upshift when you hit the rev limiter - it bounces off of it.

Are you saying that you can change the fully AUTO mode shiftpoints with the consult II? If that's the case, that's great. I thought they couldn't do that. Can you please clarify, that's very important.

Gurgen

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by gurgenpb on 02/24/04 01:55 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 02-24-2004, 06:06 PM
Premier Member

Allright, I just took my car for a spin and I have too agree with gurgen in as much that wen you floor the car in "1", even if you shift up at say 400rpm, the car still hits redline before it will follow your shift. So for all intense purposes, and bear in mind the car will bounce off redline if you don't shift it, the manual mode is of no use in getting the best performance for upshifting, becuase the car still "thinks" for you. If you however (driving in manual) just take off in "1" and are driving normally the upshifts do work at lower rpm (with a slight delay). This set-up, too me, is very strange.

Old 02-24-2004, 06:17 PM

Yup, I still don't get why Infiniti did that with the auto. Even my previous car, 02 Eclipse GT, with a manual sport shift mode was a true electronic shifter. It would up shift whenver you pushed the lever no matter what RPM it was at. But the bad thing was it would automatically downshift for you as your speed slowed down to certain levels. Sometimes that caused me to accidentally double downshift as I manually downshifted the same time the computer decided to also. I guess thats one reason why I ditched the whole auto sport shift idea and just got me a real manual in my G 6MT. Too bad there is no SMG option yet for the G. I would love to try that setup.

04' G35S 6MT Ivory Pearl, Willow, Premium

Old 02-24-2004, 06:19 PM

I will do some testing tonight - I know after my car got 3 hours of Consult 2, ECU, etc changes my full AUTO (D) mode switches well past the old redline when I floor it - I remember it changing gears around 6800-6900. It switches high enough that Im not sure I need to bother with manumatic. Note the gas pedal position is extremely critical to this - you gotta put the pedal hard to the floor or it will shift lower. It certainly shifts in the high 6000s now when I stand on it well thru 100+ mph.

I might bring the master tech some donuts so he will tell me more of what they did in technical details...im a semi-n00b sorry =)))

Ill speed like a bat out of hell tonight and post in 3-4 hours about it.

later
worth

2004 AT DG/Sport/Flaps/Premium/max tint/Bose/CAI Injen/6 wire ground kit/Custom ECU
next mod: Zaino baby

Old 02-24-2004, 06:25 PM
Premier Member

dklau, good point because I've owned several manumatics and they all shifted in accordance with driver input. I too long for the SMG, even the MR2 has a tru sequential.
The only benefit of this setup in the 5AT is perhaps downshifting too increase rpm for passing etc. I can see no benefit too shifting up manually other than too give the impression that your the one making it happen, which is obviously not the case. I wonder if there is anything out there that would give the driver more input?

Old 02-24-2004, 06:49 PM

I use the manual mode often. Having jumped from 3 manual cars to my G 5AT, I find the RPM never seems to rise enough to suit me. I used to shift between 3 - 5 k in my Maxima. I could hear and feel the motor. My G wants to stay asleep, shifting way too low for my taste. I also think a motor should rev higher than the auto selects. Keeps the plugs cleaner.
I have to admit I haven't had the chance to redline it yet, so I do hope it will take the next forced shift before redlining as some have reported. Most of my driving is city so taking control of the powerband seems like I'm going faster :>
2004 5AT

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: At what rpm do you shift in auto?