Carbon fiber battery covers off ebay - OVERLAYS! stupid me

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 10:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
they look good, at least in the pics

Old 11-29-2007, 11:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If I were to put these one, do you think they would melt with the heat?

Old 11-29-2007, 11:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ive had em for a few years now, they're fine

Old 11-30-2007, 12:39 AM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Mine are a bit warped these days.

But I think you will be ok. Here's why: first, mine were fine before my TT kit which creates a lot more heat. Second, the high temps are about the same here and there but my car is black. I checked the surface temp of my car vs a white car side by side in the phoenix sun and my car was over 70 degrees (F) hotter on the surface!

Old 12-02-2007, 10:50 AM
Guys - this is the response I got from them:

How are you? I am very glad to see you receive the package safely. I can understand why you feel very unhappy with the product. It is the first time you see carbon fiber with "Epoxy Resin" finish on the top. Therefore, you think it is carbon fiber look.

OK, let me explain to you more. Original carbon fiber just look like a roll of black woof. It is soft and shiny.

The thickness of carbon fiber is 0.2mm, and the weight of the carbon fiber is 200 gram per square feet. And price of carbon fiber is about USD 50~60 per meter. One roll of carbon fiber is either 1.0 miter or 1.2 meter high with 100 meter or 120 meter long. Due to high demand of Airplane (airbus 380) industry and automobile industry, the big demand in year 2005 to 2006 has increased the original price about 40%. Right now, one roll of carbon fiber is about USD 5000~6000. And we have stock 2 rolls for all our products.

Now let me explain how carbon fiber becomes products. The carbon fiber products simply can be divided into 2 categories. One is firm and strong product, and the other is soft products.

1) Firm and Strong products
Bicycle firm, F1 Racing car body, Bucket racing Seat, hood and trunk, suitcase, and many decoration parts for cars and so on.

The major method to make above mention products are A. Heat Press B. Hand Lay as fiber glass C. Vacuum Beg

Above mention Way have to make either metal tooling (mold) or fiber glass tooling. Most expensive items like F1 racing car body, bicycle firm, real racing bucket seat will use 100% carbon fiber to produce. And factories have to heat the steel mold and then press with 60 Ton upper and lower machine in a second. Then keep the part in a baking room for a while. Therefore, the product will be very strong and super light weight.

I think hand laid carbon fiber and fiber glass you already know. This is the most common way to products civilian vehicles like your neighbors have. The lower portion of the hood is fiber glass, or some Japanese only place carbon fiber on the top and lower portion of the hood. And keep the middle with fiber glass. This is economic way to save material. Try to think, the thickness of carbon fiber is only 0.2mm, how many meters need can really build a carbon fiber hood (carbon hood thickness is about 4mm)

2) Soft but Strong products

Bullet proof panel & Body armor is also a kind of carbon fiber (Kevlar), and the battery covers, B pillar covers, and interior dash covers.

The way we make G35 battery cover is using "Epoxy Resin" on the top of real carbon fiber. And then we have to use cutting mold to cut the shape we need. Japanese also doing the same way for B pillar and dash covers. This is kind of products are widely use for car decorations products.

We also have the product with "carbon fiber look" finish. And it is a kind of transprinting in plastic or polyurethane products. They are totally different from real carbon fiber with Epoxy Resin finish. You can also check some other eBay products such as emblem and interior dash trim. They are also real carbon fiber.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's not that bad..

I have the UTR covers which look like the same, mine look a bit better around the edges and they were 120 or something.

Adhesive in the engine bay sucks btw, the engine heat in the summer make them come off and slide around

Old 12-02-2007, 06:03 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
His auction should have stated Battery Cover Covers...

To date, I have not seen a full carbon fiber replacement cover... Just overlays weither made out of carbon fiber vinyl look material or carbon fiber...

You could file a item not as described claim... then the money you sent him will be put in limbo until he decides weither or not to accept the item in return for a refund.

Why he gave you such a long reply about carbon fiber tree's and how they are in short supply blah blah blah its kind of filibustering around the issue.

He sold a product as a replacement, while in reality its a cover to a cover.

Its a gray area this one...

:-/

I used to sell the STILLEN & UTR versions of these... probably all the same manufacturer... Just like a carbon fiber hood, they are able to fade etc the same way...

Old 12-03-2007, 04:22 AM
Well another update. He has offered to refund the entire amount + shipping costs (includes the additional shipping costs when I send it back to him).

Im at ends here though - since there are no actual replacement covers in CF available aside from overlays - I dont know if I should keep them. What I might do is wait for the jdm battery cover kit to arrive and see how the CF overlays look.

Jason - did the STILLEN and UTR versions have the epoxy resin coating?

Old 12-03-2007, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did my own covers, I purchased CF sheets from a ebay seller racingjeff and cut my own covers. The CF has adhesive glue on the back for easy installation. Took me 30 min with a dremmel tool. Cost is 1/2 of what you paid and it look more like real CF. Try that
Just my .02

Old 12-03-2007, 11:42 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Pretty much all "Dress Up" carbon fiber parts have the epoxy on them...

Carbon that doesnt have any clear coating on it looks dull and has a rough feel to it (will be impossible to clean)...