G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

G35x Help - AWD to RWD please help me choose

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 11:16 AM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
When I lived in Colorado Springs and owned a VW beatle, I could drive circles around all but the Jeeps. The weight over the drive wheels makes all the difference!

Old 12-21-2007, 11:53 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
I also live in Boston, so i feel your pain.

I've driven nothing but RWD and while it's great for performance driving in the summer, it sucks for winter driving.

I realize tires make a HUGE difference, but there are times when i just want to be dumb and sip my coffee and drive.

I'm currently looking for a G35x for the AWD. I like how it's a mostly RWD-biased system. I don't care for the loss of power as i just want a nice cozy commuter. I'll still have a high HP RWD manual car to fool around with in the summer.

With all the recent snow, it just sucks having RWD. Every little patch of ice or snow causes the rear to kick out, which is dangerous ina turn. I'm just sick of driving white-knuckled.

Old 12-22-2007, 01:10 AM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by iiiiiekoiiiii
Ima tell u the easiest way NO WORRIES its only a 10amp fuse and it's size of ur nail lol.

Push your driver seat back, get a little flash light point it at the spot where your left foot rests, Open up the fuse box plastic cover, There is a big white fuse puller in the middle take that in your hand, Look at the plastic cover. You'll see it's the first fuse next to the 10amp spare fuse. REMOVE it with the fuse puller. don't lose the lil fuse or else you'd have to use the spare one...

after its done start up the car put it in drive and do a little drive. The AWD will light up which means, there is an error with the AWD. and now you're REAR WHEEL DRIVE. drive yourself into a empty lot get the feel of your RWD. and start sliding around drifting and donuts.

You'll like it so much, you wouldnt wanna put the fuse back together. BUT DO iT when you're done for your tires own good lolol

thats what i do lol
Ill try this tomorrow haha

Old 12-28-2007, 01:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ima tell u the easiest way NO WORRIES its only a 10amp fuse and it's size of ur nail lol.

Push your driver seat back, get a little flash light point it at the spot where your left foot rests, Open up the fuse box plastic cover, There is a big white fuse puller in the middle take that in your hand, Look at the plastic cover. You'll see it's the first fuse next to the 10amp spare fuse. REMOVE it with the fuse puller. don't lose the lil fuse or else you'd have to use the spare one...

after its done start up the car put it in drive and do a little drive. The AWD will light up which means, there is an error with the AWD. and now you're REAR WHEEL DRIVE. drive yourself into a empty lot get the feel of your RWD. and start sliding around drifting and donuts.

You'll like it so much, you wouldnt wanna put the fuse back together. BUT DO iT when you're done for your tires own good lolol

thats what i do lol

Would this make it 100% power to the back? Would this cause any problems if you were to drive without the fuse for long periods of time? Im thinking if this works, I could have a rear wheel drive for the summer and just pop the fuse in for winter driving.. Also would this provide better fuel economy?? Has anybody done this for long periods?

Old 12-28-2007, 02:18 AM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
I dont think a RWD with snows is going to outperform an AWD with all seasons.

Period. 4 tires spinning on a wet road is always going to take off better thana RWD car. Period.

You guys think snow tires are amazing, go drive an AWD G in the next major snow storm.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:34 PM
Well what about AWD with snow tires? That should be a pretty damn good setup right there

Old 12-29-2007, 07:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Well what about AWD with snow tires? That should be a pretty damn good setup right there
they are pretty impressive on the X5 ... drives like it's a normal sunny day

Old 12-29-2007, 10:36 PM
Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Stunna
Would this make it 100% power to the back? Would this cause any problems if you were to drive without the fuse for long periods of time? Im thinking if this works, I could have a rear wheel drive for the summer and just pop the fuse in for winter driving.. Also would this provide better fuel economy?? Has anybody done this for long periods?

We have a few members on this site thatve been putting many miles on without the Fuse running 100% RWD.
Most of the People pull the fuse because they run STaggered rims. Which is what I will do =] 04-06 g35x's have the fuse where i've mentioned. From what I found NOONE experienced any problems runnin RWD on the X.
07-08 G35x does not have the fuse. So they get stuck with the AWD.

Enjoy it while You can, Hey Thats what the warranty is for =]

Old 12-29-2007, 10:38 PM
Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by WannabeSport
I dont think a RWD with snows is going to outperform an AWD with all seasons.

Period. 4 tires spinning on a wet road is always going to take off better thana RWD car. Period.

You guys think snow tires are amazing, go drive an AWD G in the next major snow storm.

TRUST ME, ON A SNOWY DAY i FEEL LIKE A Little kid driving my X. So happy and You can mess around as much as you want. =] never took it in deep snow, cause i dont want ice scratchin my car but, there is that SNOW button 50/50 torque split if you in a empty parking lot and got gas to burn lol you'll enjoy it.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Would that trick of pulling the fuse cause the car to put down more HP numbers on a Dyno like an actually rear wheel drive G35 VS an AWD G35?

Old 08-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We have a few members on this site thatve been putting many miles on without the Fuse running 100% RWD.
From what I found NOONE experienced any problems runnin RWD on the X.
Old thread

But I wonder, four years later, did any issues show up running with out the fuse?

Old 08-09-2011, 02:30 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Konsole
Based on the information in the Factory Service Manual for the 2006 X if you will disable the AWD Control module which powers the AWD solenoid which engages the electromagnetic clutch which puts power to the front wheels, it will be RWD.
I'd STRONGLY advise against doing this. Not because it will hurt the car, but disabling the AWD does not make it a RWD. I ran my AWD this way for a short while and absolutely hated it. After starting it, your car won't truly recognize the AWD is disabled until you start moving, then it hesitates until finally flashing the AWD light on the dash. And accelerating from a stop always seemed a little strange, partially because you still have extra drag from the AWD system, but none of the benefits.

Originally Posted by BuckeyeG
I have a 6mt RWD and I love it. A good set of snow tires help 100% in the snow.Last year I tried to drive on stck tires and went no where. I had a AWD last year while mine was in the shop and it was great going throught like 4 inches of snow with no problems at all. I was able to punch it and the would kick in and just go. The only thing I can tell ya to do is go test drive a AWD and pull the fuse and see if it kicks in after that. You might wanna make sure its use becasue if not they may wanna go with ya to drive it.
I couldn't agree more. Tires are the single most important component when driving in snow, nothing else is even close. The G35 is pretty well balanced in RWD (52/48?), so all you need is good snow tires.

AWD & Snows >> RWD & Snows >>>> FWD & Snows >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> AWD/RWD/FWD & All Seasons

Old 08-09-2011, 09:44 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
AWD & Snows >> RWD & Snows >>>> FWD & Snows >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> AWD/RWD/FWD & All Seasons
Why is RWD and snows better than an FWD and snows in a front engine car?

Old 08-09-2011, 01:44 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Don't forget you can always wire a switch into the AWD fuse as well. I have found that the car is more peppy light to light with the awd fuse out. Not something that I was expecting but it stands to reason. Could this make for better city mpg, possibly..

Old 08-09-2011, 02:04 PM
Does anyone have long term results of doing this??

Like drive for 2 years, then plug it back in and everything works fine?

Transfer Case's aren't cheap, so i'm just wondering long term effects...if any.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35x Help - AWD to RWD please help me choose