G35x Help - AWD to RWD please help me choose

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 05:14 PM
g24
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question G35x Help - AWD to RWD please help me choose

Hi, Everyone

First off I really want to say I appreciate all your responses in advance. As this is becoming a massive problem for me that is honestly keeping me awake at night. Ill give you a bit of quick background here. I live in Boston, MA and drive a 2003.5 G35 Sport auto. I have owned the car for years now and am generally very pleased with it. I have always been an American Only RWD V8 kinda car guy. So the G was a sway in a different direction for me as I am not used to small engines, high revs and low torque. Which I’ll be honest has turned to extremely impress me enough to this point to bring me to my next major life decision, RWD or AWD. For the record I absolutely love RWD and it kills me to have it any other way. I love my brake stands, drifting and the handling dynamics of it. But I hate being stuck in the friggen snow 10 feet in front of my house while all my neighbors in their FWD econoboxes laugh at me. I really love the G35 Sport and I really love the G35X which I have driven as well. What my main question is an honest to god truthful answer to the so called “AWD” fuse. I have searched the forums high and low with different results. So I figure ill just ask it straight out as I need to sleep, lol.

If I buy a G35X can I pull the fuse and really have honest and true RWD. And when I say true I mean atleast 95% plus of the power going solely to the rear wheels. Ultimately what I want is to adapt a switch that can just about on the fly switch it between AWD and RWD for those spur of the moment must have mind easing brake stands. I have read that the best year to get if I plan on “pulling the fuse” is the 2006 G35X. But I love the new 2007’s. If someone could finally end this semi debate I see on here for me that would be so great as ill buy an 06 tomorrow. And join the X club if you will. Thanks for your help!

Sincerely,
G24

Old 12-16-2007, 09:02 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Based on the information in the Factory Service Manual for the 2006 X if you will disable the AWD Control module which powers the AWD solenoid which engages the electromagnetic clutch which puts power to the front wheels, it will be RWD..

0 amps to that solenoid means the front wheels are under no power from the drivetrain. Keep in mind, even when the AWD clutch is not engaged the front wheels are turning the front half shafts and the front differential and the drive shaft back to the end of the transmission where the awd clutch/solenoid is so it will still feel a very tiny bit different.

The AWD Control unit is tied into the cars computer (CAN Bus) so the AWD Light will most likely light up telling you there is a malfunction.

Mechanically however I dont think anything else would happen. The ABS and other systems are not dependant on that awd system. You may get errors but it will be RWD. The car really is RWD all the time until current is sent to that solenoid.

Last edited by Konsole; 12-16-2007 at 09:10 PM.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:18 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It is honestly your choice. No one here can say one is better than the other because it is entirely based on where you live and what you are looking for. You will get many bias reviews and reccomendations on this topic. Someone can say RWD is better who lives in Hawaii and another can say AWD is better who lives in Maine. No matter what you choose, you will be EXTREMLY happy. After all, it's an Infiniti!

If you are sick of getting stuck in the snow, get the AWD. It's kind of the best of both worlds in the AWD and RWD systems

Personally, I am a rwd guy. I got an 03 sedan and been a rwd kind of guy forever. However, I am from NJ and we get some pretty bad weather and at those times I wish I had AWD for the snow because I feel myself slipping randomly when it's bad out. Mainly because my tires are worn and in need of of some winter rubber. However, if you take it slow and are cautious, as you should even with AWD, you will be fine. My next car will be a g sedan sport 6mt, so I will be sticking to the RWD.

I personally have test drove an AWD and it was great but just didn't feel the same as mine (RWD). It almost felt a little sluggish compared to the RWD. However, I think the AWD uses mainly RWD when normal driving to save on gas. I think the AWD system kicks in when the car losses traction and senses danger. I could be wrong, but from what I heard I think that may be true. please anyone chime in and correct me if I am wrong.

Having driven both the RWD and AWD cars, I probably will still stick to RWD. If the weather is bad, get some good snow tires, take the neccesary precautions, and you will be just fine. Best of luck on your decision. Let us know when you do make the choice and get some sleep!!!! lol

Last edited by g35freak86; 12-16-2007 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:31 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a 6mt RWD and I love it. A good set of snow tires help 100% in the snow.Last year I tried to drive on stck tires and went no where. I had a AWD last year while mine was in the shop and it was great going throught like 4 inches of snow with no problems at all. I was able to punch it and the would kick in and just go. The only thing I can tell ya to do is go test drive a AWD and pull the fuse and see if it kicks in after that. You might wanna make sure its use becasue if not they may wanna go with ya to drive it.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AWD is also heavier than the RWD due to the drivetrain it requires. Even if you disable the AWD it will still be heavier than RWD sedan.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:21 AM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
AWD is 75% power to the rear and 25% to the front. (thats in every day driving) when you hit the snow button, it goes to 50% 50% up until 11mph.

As for the fuse, i dont know.

But all i can say is its still a BLAST to drive and i love it.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:21 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Save yourself some money and just get dedicated snow tires. I guarantee you a RWD sedan on snow tires will outperform AWD on all seasons. You're car's grip is only as good as it's tires. Period. End of story. The AWD system in the G is an amazing peice, but it sucks out power due to having to spin an extra differential, a transfer case, and two extra axles. All that drivetrain loss sucks out acceleration, especially above 70mph, and it hurts MPGs. Then there's the maintenance associated with the AWD system and potential problems. Additionally, suspension mods really don't work for the AWD setup. Many can be done, but they're really not recommended.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:10 PM
I've rented an '07 RWD G35 before and I have had the '07 AWD G as a loaner while my car was in the shop. I live in NYC where we get bad weather too. I own an '05 AWD G, and let me tell you, the RWD drive that I rented (while in LA) was definitely a lot better to drive than the AWD I had as a loaner. You could feel the power difference. As for snow, it only snows a few months of the year, and during those months I don't even drive that much. If I did do extended driving, I would just get a nice set of winter tires.

Bottom line, I wish I would've gone RWD instead of AWD.

Of course it's a moot point anyway since I am getting rid of my AWD for WWD with the Acura TL-S.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:54 PM
I too like the feeling of my 05 RWD better than the AWD loaners I have driven. I live in Cleveland, so it is likely that we will get a good amount of snow 10-15 days per year.

My rational for purchasing the RWD G (my first RWD car), was that up until the 1980s a fairly high % of cars were RWD and that up until the recent addition of AWD versions most (not all) of the BMWs, Jags, Benzs and Lexuses were all RWD -- therefore I figured RWD couldn't be all that bad if I took it slow, played it smart and had good tires.

Also, last night I bought 180 pounds of tube sand and put it directly over my rear wheels - it helped a lot. Anyone know if this is too much weight?

Old 12-17-2007, 02:45 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by WannabeSport
AWD is 75% power to the rear and 25% to the front. (thats in every day driving) when you hit the snow button, it goes to 50% 50% up until 11mph.

As for the fuse, i dont know.

But all i can say is its still a BLAST to drive and i love it.

That's not the entire deal. Its only split rear bias from 0 to ~14mph and then it will switch to 100% rwd. If the AWD Controller and wheel speed sensors detect wheel slip it will put power to the front again.

Either way, if the AWD Solenoid has no current the car is 100% RWD.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:31 PM
+1 on the snow tires.

I also live in Boston (actually Arlington) and have an 03.5 6MT. With snows, the car runs just fine in the slippery stuff -- I was even out late on Thursday after the big storm with no problems at all. When I first got the car, I tried living with just the stock tires, but it was quite scary in snow. The Blizzaks allowed me to keep my 6MT and RWD...

Old 12-17-2007, 09:50 PM
Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
i Drive a 2006 G35x, and I do pull the fuse for fun sometimes, It drives straight RWD. You will not get any traction with front AT ALL! lol

Yes u can get it sideways, power brakes, and definetly donuts in anyway you want. Drifting ina empty lot is FUN as hell =]

Old 12-17-2007, 10:30 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by iiiiiekoiiiii
i Drive a 2006 G35x, and I do pull the fuse for fun sometimes, It drives straight RWD. You will not get any traction with front AT ALL! lol

Yes u can get it sideways, power brakes, and definetly donuts in anyway you want. Drifting ina empty lot is FUN as hell =]
Does sombody want to take a picture of this fuse and how to pull it?

Im gonna give this a try LOL

Old 12-19-2007, 01:15 AM
Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by WannabeSport
Does sombody want to take a picture of this fuse and how to pull it?

Im gonna give this a try LOL

Ima tell u the easiest way NO WORRIES its only a 10amp fuse and it's size of ur nail lol.

Push your driver seat back, get a little flash light point it at the spot where your left foot rests, Open up the fuse box plastic cover, There is a big white fuse puller in the middle take that in your hand, Look at the plastic cover. You'll see it's the first fuse next to the 10amp spare fuse. REMOVE it with the fuse puller. don't lose the lil fuse or else you'd have to use the spare one...

after its done start up the car put it in drive and do a little drive. The AWD will light up which means, there is an error with the AWD. and now you're REAR WHEEL DRIVE. drive yourself into a empty lot get the feel of your RWD. and start sliding around drifting and donuts.

You'll like it so much, you wouldnt wanna put the fuse back together. BUT DO iT when you're done for your tires own good lolol

thats what i do lol

The following users liked this post:
0341motormen1 (03-20-2014)
Old 12-19-2007, 10:15 AM
I live in Colorado where the snow can be kinda of random. My suggestion is do what I did, get a decent set of tires and throw a couple of bags of salt in the back. I run with a total of 80lbs in the back and dont have any issues getting around.

evo

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35x Help - AWD to RWD please help me choose