G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

G35x Help - AWD to RWD please help me choose

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 11:59 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by drkay
Why is RWD and snows better than an FWD and snows in a front engine car?
Because with FWD you're asking the front tires to both steer and propel the car, and those tasks run somewhat counter to each other when you try to turn. That's part of why FWD cars usually understeer no matter what the surface is. I think there's also some physics involved with pushing versus pulling. I've driven FWD (Maxima, Audi 90) and RWD (Porsche 924S, G35) with snow tires in deep snow, and the RWD's outperformed the FWD's. They all got through it, but the RWD's had much more control, especially while turning.

And Janik, I'll have to disagree with your 3½ year old comment. Or at least partially disagree. I agree AWD with all-seasons on a wet road is better than RWD/snows, but in the snow the snow tires make all the difference. I can't count how many SUV's I've seen off the road up here in Michigan with their 4WD/AWD and all-seasons. People think AWD will get them anywhere and it's just not true with snow.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:19 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
I dunno, depending on the all-seasons, it can still be a potent combo if you drive with care. Most SUVs end up on guardrails because they fail to understand 6000 pound trucks dont stop when you slam on the brakes while doing 60 in the snow.

I drove rwd for 10 years with snow tires and all seasons. They do ok in the snow. I drove FWD with all-seasons and I would easily get stuck. (never drove FWD with snow tires) But there are advantages to both. I for one liked having the FWD ability to direct the front wheels while giving power. Rwd also tended to "push" when trying to turn and give gas. If have to let off the gas and let the front wheels catch to turn. I managed quite fine in both setups.

However, I would chose my awd g wearing it's all-seasons anyway. I realize snow tires help woth stopping and turning more than all seasons, but the simple truth was 4 wheels pushing the car was a hell of a lot better than two. Some of the major storms I drove in had snow so deep I couldn't do much more than 10mph or so. The snow was also deep enough where you could easily stop as well, sp the all seasons weren't as handicapped as they could be in wet slick light snow.

But 4 wheels pushing makes daily life much more bearable because you could PARK! If you live in the city, you know exactly what I mean here. Ever see that one guy parked 10 feet off the curb because he can't put his car half up on the snow bank? That guy will get sideswiped by the plow in a few hours.

I drove 1 winter with snow tires, and then sold them off cuz I got sick of switching tires on my rims. The one winter on snows was AWESOME! I felt like I could do anything. With the all seasons I now run, I still feel confident, but I'm not an idiot to speed and make sharp turns because I realize my turning ability and braking ability is reduced...so I go slower. But I still feel a he'll of a lot better than I ever did with any rwd or FWD with snow tires or not. It's the little things, like taking a 90*turn up a steep hill while facing down hill in snow, that really matter.

Every winter, my awd amazes me. I purposely go out and try to get it stuck and it always digs thru...even on all-seasons

Old 08-10-2011, 12:23 AM
To stay on topics, I was out with a buddy in my car tonight. It was pouring rain, but I was using the awd in the rain very well (helps with merging and such) and we got into a conversation about how the awd on the car works.

So I mention that some guys pull the fuse to force the car to stay RWD all the time. His response? " Pull the fuse? Why the hell would you want to ruin a nice car by doing something so hack like that"

Hate to say it, but I kinda agree

Old 08-10-2011, 12:42 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have a switch wired into my AWD fuse under my dash. I only switch it when I want to be crazy and drift. 99.99% of the time I'm in AWD: car is faster and has better handling. Even on dry pavement. G35x has a faster 0-100 kph time than a RWD G. Presumably of the AWD.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:55 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
I drove 1 winter with snow tires, and then sold them off cuz I got sick of switching tires on my rims. The one winter on snows was AWESOME! I felt like I could do anything.
I put snows on my stock 17's and bought Coupe 18's for the summer, so I just have to swap them. My car is a frickin' tank in the winter (3 so far). I really haven't been slowed down much at all, even when driving through 12"+ snow and 24"+ drifts. I love driving in the snow, especially taking turns. Turn the wheel to start the turn, tap the gas to get the back end around a little, straighten it out and be on my way. Or just power slide my way through it. It's a blast. VDC gets turned off in the winter of course.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I owned a 2006 coupe and got stuck in snow maybe 6-8 times in 4 years. I noe have 2006 g35x cuz I prefer 4 doors now, but besides the few times u get stuck, If u like rear wheel, just get CAA (or whatever American equivalent is) and enjoy the rear wheel! I miss the feeling of rear propulsion

Old 08-12-2011, 06:53 AM
Originally Posted by Kayzer Soze
I owned a 2006 coupe and got stuck in snow maybe 6-8 times in 4 years. I noe have 2006 g35x cuz I prefer 4 doors now, but besides the few times u get stuck, If u like rear wheel, just get CAA (or whatever American equivalent is) and enjoy the rear wheel! I miss the feeling of rear propulsion

Is that like AAA? Where a tow truck comes out for you?

I have no time for that. In the city, calling them means waiting 1 hr minimum. I can change my tire in 5 minutes tops. If it's snowing and you call them, you might as well abandon your car and call a friend because i've had friends wait 2-3 hours for a tow in a storm.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ya, AAA... I never had to call a tow for the G, but times I would get stuck and need a push or spend 20 minutes trying to get out was when parallel parking in snow and the previous cars left holes of ice from spinning the wheels...

And when there would be fresh 12 inches of snow on ground, u wouldn't want to come to a stop in it

My 370z got stuck parallel Parking to the point I needed a tow truck to pull me out, but that's a lighter car

Coupe is fun, but g35x is more reliable, and if you ask me, more fun to customize

Old 08-13-2011, 12:20 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Im from Pittsburgh and my 04 6mt when great in our deep snow last year...I had blizzaks on...they were a must