G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Anyone get the extended warranty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 11:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone get the extended warranty?

What is your opinion on the extended warranty? I expect to drive my G (may be buying tomorrow!) for 5-8 years for sure. What is the cost on the extended warranty?
Best options besides the dealer? I have never bought one, but am considering it now.
Quick responses would help, as I see the dealer tomorrow.
Thanks!

Old 02-23-2003, 11:38 PM
Re: Anyone get the extended warranty?

I got one, 7 years 100,000 miles, basically bumper to bumper coverage.. I paid $2000 and I've heard it as low as $1550 from the dealer. In my last Infiniti I didn't get one and didn't need it. But since then we had failures in our mini-van which would have been covered for the $1500 warranty that I didn't have and cost me over $4000. So now I just consider it part of the car's cost.

Old 02-24-2003, 02:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't have to buy the warranty when you buy the car. You can do it any time during the basic warranty period (4 years/60,000 miles for a G35). So don't rush into it, you have time to shop around.

If you plan on keeping the car for longer than the basic warranty, I'd say an extended warranty is a good thing to have. However, pay attention to what, exactly, it covers. You don't have to buy the warranty through the dealer, there are third party warranty companies (some good, some bad). I've not tried this route, so I can only guess that getting reimbursed for repairs may be more troublesome than a warranty through the dealer.

An extended warranty does not usually give you the same bumper-to-bumper coverage as the original factory warranty. I took my wife's Jeep in this weekend, and one of the problems was the driver's reclining seat has a stripped gear and makes a loud noise instead of moving forward. This part is apparently not covered under our extended warranty, and will cost me approx. $215 to fix. In addition, the blower motor for the Heating-A/C system is running intermittently. They think it's one of two parts that might be failing, but it won't stay nonfunctional long enough for them to figure it out. Needless to say, one of those two parts is covered, one isn't. It's a Jeep, not an Infiniti, but nonetheless, pay attention to what your warranty actually covers before you buy it.

And another thing to remember is that dealers make a profit on selling you the extended warranty. The price should be negotiable.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 02-24-2003, 09:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would hope that the G holds up as well as my 96 Altima, 160K miles with only a distributor change during that time!
But since we can never know for sure, an extended warranty is an option we can consider.

I work for a credit union in Florida and I've seen all sorts of offers with extended warranties. We sell one of the best in the market, and I say this because of the number of customers and co-workers who've had great experiences and service from them. It's from a company by the name of InterContinental Warranty Services (IWS) Inc., and I believe you can only purchase it through your local credit union. The quotes in Florida, all to 100K miles, range from 5yrs $1003, 6yrs $1047, and 7yrs $1118 (and you get all the extras like towing, rental, trp interruption, etc.) So $1500 to $2000 sounds high to me. If someone would give me a zip code I can quote you a price for your area. Of course then you'd have to find a credit union you can open an account with.

The only company in our market that sells a closely comparable warranty to IWS is All State; they're sometimes slightly more affordable, but IWS' coverage is slightly more comprehensive (covers more) than All State.

Damn.... sure sounds like I work for IWS, but I don't. I managed a branch for the credit union, and their product was a sales focus for my team, so I know a lot about it.

I didn't buy an ext warr, and don't plan on purchasing in the immediate future. If problems pop up over the years on boards like these, I may reconsider, but not now.

Happy decision-making!

'03 Infiniti G35, Desert Platinum
'02 Toyota Sequoia, Silver Sky Metallic

Old 02-24-2003, 09:44 PM

I've had credit union extended warranties and they vary in price too. Depending on several things, the car, years and miles. They do not pay nearly as well as the dealer warranty.
Yes $2000 is high, but since I was one of the first to buy a G35 I didn't negotiate it down as far as I could. They started at $2500. But I've read someone here got it for $1550. And the warranty from Infiniti is just about as good as the initial warranty.
Check out the factory extended warranty and compare it to the credit unions ones. There will be a lot you will pay for if (and this is the big if) things go wrong.

Like I mentioned, on my first Infinit it would have been a waste, but after my experience with my Ford (never buy a Ford) I will always get the extended warranty and probably spend the extra $500 and get it from the dealer.

Old 02-25-2003, 12:22 AM

Thanks for the info.
I belong to a credit union in SoCal, and I called about it today. Without a lot of details as of right now, it sounds like it will cost me between $730-$830 for a 5 year, 100,000 warranty. I need to get all the info., but it certainly is a lot less than the dealer quote of $1995. I had already spent enough and decided no for now.
I plan on driving this car for 8-10 years for sure, so I plan on getting one eventually.

Old 02-25-2003, 09:19 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yo Bone... just like insurance, there's different levels of coverage; make sure you keep this in mind when you purchase (in a few years).

chinee
'03 Infiniti G35, Desert Platinum
'02 Toyota Sequoia, Silver Sky Metallic