G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

air box mod

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2004 | 03:39 PM
Re: air box mod

thats my mod,and it works great.try it,you will love it.if you have any ques just ask.

03.5 briliant silver/graphite
5at,sport,full aero kit,winter pack
bose.tweet upgrade

Old 04-13-2004 | 06:33 PM
Re: air box mod

getting the z-tube would be the next step, however, if you don't want to spend any $$, do the intake tube mod from suzook......hey, what could be more inexpensive than free...

up front and personal pic of airbox mod.

04 6mt Sedan / stock airbox mod / z-tube / k&n panel filter / crank pulley / 18" r/h c2s / s-tein springs<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by klg35 on 04/13/04 03:35 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

228122-stockairboxmod004.JPG

Old 12-29-2005 | 10:46 PM
I know this is an old post, but does anybody have any more info about removing the bottom part of the air box? thx.

Old 12-29-2005 | 11:57 PM
I'd be interested in this too... Would it work on an 05? Anyone?

Old 12-30-2005 | 03:17 AM
Here's a pick of my air box with the Power Duct removed. I used some pipe insulation to clean up the look a little bit.

Old 12-30-2005 | 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by 05GSedan
I'd be interested in this too... Would it work on an 05? Anyone?

I would think it would work on all years since the air box didn't change from 03 to 06 models.

Old 12-30-2005 | 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by DaveB
Here's a pick of my air box with the Power Duct removed. I used some pipe insulation to clean up the look a little bit.

DaveB,

I've removed the power duct myself and it does sound a bit better but I've placed it back on now. From your picture, you have insulation foam covering up the area again. Isn't that equivalent to leaving the power duct on???

Old 12-30-2005 | 10:37 AM
I wouldn't think it would be the same as having the duct on at all....the foam is only on the outer edge of the opening and barely reduces the opening size. The power duct closes this opening SIGNIFICANTLY (especially the lower part of the air box opening) and concentrates the air in that small confined area that has the rubber seals around it.....no? Just my thoughts.

BTW DaveB....it looks good!

Old 01-01-2006 | 05:14 PM
Premier Member
Premier Member
Originally Posted by mikeee2
DaveB,

I've removed the power duct myself and it does sound a bit better but I've placed it back on now. From your picture, you have insulation foam covering up the area again. Isn't that equivalent to leaving the power duct on???
Yep and letting in more hot engine heat which isn't good. Keep the power duct on or get a Stillen CAI if you want gains.

Old 01-01-2006 | 05:21 PM
Premier Member
Premier Member
Here are two pics. One stock intake, one with Stillen...

Old 01-01-2006 | 08:56 PM
I would guess there would be ZERO gains with the Stillen after seeing these pics. Our engines bottle neck is probably not the intake, it's more likely exhaust......

There will be dissagreements with my statement, but show me dyno runs and I'll retract my statement. Please, no butt dyno's........

Old 01-01-2006 | 09:20 PM
Premier Member
Premier Member
There are many dynos in the past showing Stillen CAI gains of around 8-10 hp. I believe even SportZ Magazine did a test not to long ago.

Old 01-01-2006 | 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by G35_TX
Yep and letting in more hot engine heat which isn't good. Keep the power duct on or get a Stillen CAI if you want gains.
I've datalogged with and without the Power Duct. On 70 to 80 degree days and at a prolonged stop, I've seen an intake temp increase of about 15 degrees with the Power Duct off. Once the car is rolling above 20mph, the temp difference is neglible. SixFive has seen the same exact results with his G. An intitial 15 degree increase is hardly going to impact performance.

When I ran my car in May and in 70 degree weather, it did a 14.49@97.6mph. In November, 40 degree weather, and with the duct removed (no other changes), it did a 14.32@97.8mph. To me, it appears the lack of the Power Duct did nothing to impact performance.

As for the Stillen airbox, IT IS NOT A SEALED UNIT!!!!!!! Sure, the top view makes it appear sealed, but it on the sides, there are big open gaps in the box. The Stillen airbox is simply just a bunch of bogus heat shields and not a sealed box. If anything, it probably lets more hot engine air than the stock airbox with the Power Duct removed. With the Power Duct removed, the intake area is opened up nearly 100%, but at least that increase area is right where the air is channeled in. With the Stillen airbox, the void spaces on the sides are simply sucking in hot radiator air.

And I agree DPO3, the stock airbox is hardly a bottleneck and power isn't going to be found there with an aftermarket system. It's been proven over and over again. I removed the Power Duct and added the Z-pipe simply because the VQ's induction noise sounds so nice under load. I didn't do the mods to add power.

Old 01-01-2006 | 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by G35_TX
There are many dynos in the past showing Stillen CAI gains of around 8-10 hp. I believe even SportZ Magazine did a test not to long ago.
And there are 20 more dynos showing nothing. The Stillen airbox is nothing, but a POP style intake with an expensive heat shield.

Old 01-01-2006 | 09:28 PM
Premier Member
Premier Member
The Stillen Airbox only has one opening. And its towards the front of the car. Other than that it is completely sealed. Per many tests, the Stillen doesn't let engine heat in like other intakes do. See DaveO for the test and temps in one of his tests he has done.

Proven over and over again that there isn't power to gain on a Stillen Intake? Ahhh...where is that data mr. DaveB? There is much more data that proves you otherwise. 2-3 years worth of it.

Originally Posted by DaveB
I've datalogged with and without the Power Duct. On 70 to 80 degree days and at a prolonged stop, I've seen an intake temp increase of about 15 degrees with the Power Duct off. Once the car is rolling above 20mph, the temp difference is neglible. SixFive has seen the same exact results with his G. An intitial 15 degree increase is hardly going to impact performance.

When I ran my car in May and in 70 degree weather, it did a 14.49@97.6mph. In November, 40 degree weather, and with the duct removed (no other changes), it did a 14.32@97.8mph. To me, it appears the lack of the Power Duct did nothing to impact performance.

As for the Stillen airbox, IT IS NOT A SEALED UNIT!!!!!!! Sure, the top view makes it appear sealed, but it on the sides, there are big open gaps in the box. The Stillen airbox is simply just a bunch of bogus heat shields and not a sealed box. If anything, it probably lets more hot engine air than the stock airbox with the Power Duct removed. With the Power Duct removed, the intake area is opened up nearly 100%, but at least that increase area is right where the air is channeled in. With the Stillen airbox, the void spaces on the sides are simply sucking in hot radiator air.

And I agree DPO3, the stock airbox is hardly a bottleneck and power isn't going to be found there with an aftermarket system. It's been proven over and over again. I removed the Power Duct and added the Z-pipe simply because the VQ's induction noise sounds so nice under load. I didn't do the mods to add power.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: air box mod