G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Snow Experiences This Morning with the new G.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 09:02 AM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Snow Experiences This Morning with the new G.

Alright, before i say anything, i have an 05 Sedan 5at with RWD on crappy used car lot All/Seasons.

Well, woke up this morning to about 3 inches of HEAVY wet snow.

Went downstairs, backed the G out and let it warm up.

Got my shoes on and crap then came out to a warm G. i was lucky. The plow truck had already come. So i just normally backed out, barelly making it through the buildup at the bottom of the driveway.

Got on the ishy roads and the G went fine, all you heard was the VDC.

Decided to pull into a town house complex and test it in 3+ inches. It went through fine, then i stopped, and tried to reverse it, nothing. Went forward (barelly..) and turned around on this little parking spot, did a loop then drove around the complex. G went alright.

Got on the road and didnt think id make it with a amssive suburban baralling down on me and me kinda spining, but he slowed down while i spun and got going.

Made it up a big hill fine as long as i kept my momentum. Got to school in the unplowed parking lot and kinda spun it out down on the end so i could back into my parking spot. Epic FAIL.

I just spun, so i just turned around and just BARELLY made it into my parking spot. My worst fear would be to get stuck in the school parking lot in front of EVERYONE.

So in conclusion.

1. My dad is high if he thinks im not getting snow tires next winter for when the REAL storms hit.
2. I still think if you live in a snowy climate, there is nothing better than having AWD. IMO you cant beat it. They are night and day in the snow, even with ****ty tires. Slap some snows on that bad boy, wow.

I like my car though, and like RWD. And i think with snow tires, its going to be fine.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
build another garage for your G and buy a winter car
i had to drive mine to work last night.. i was so pissed. i left my taurus parked on the street, and we have snow melting before it hits the ground so my car is towed.. so driving home this morning was like the first time ive driven RWD in winter... f*ck that shlt.. plus i could cry seeing all that filthy snow on my ride.
..edit.. you shouldnt worry about getting stuck in the parking lot though.. did you try turning off the vdc?

Last edited by risingson; 03-18-2008 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:12 AM
-MN G Crew-

Originally Posted by risingson
build another garage for your G and buy a winter car
i had to drive mine to work last night.. i was so pissed. i left my taurus parked on the street, and we have snow melting before it hits the ground so my car is towed.. so driving home this morning was like the first time ive driven RWD in winter... f*ck that shlt.. plus i could cry seeing all that filthy snow on my ride.
..edit.. you shouldnt worry about getting stuck in the parking lot though.. did you try turning off the vdc?
Yea, thats how i spun it out ahaha.

Im thinking about picking up a $6000 02 4X4 Trailblazer. Use it as my beater/second car.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:23 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
i had no troubles with my blizzaks and RWD this season. Im from chicago and we got hit with one of the snowiest winters in years. It was the first time i had ever driven RWD in the snow too. I must say the VLSD, VDC, and snow tires really helped out greatly. Im sure AWD would have been better but snow tires on RWD really makes a difference to just regular A/S tires.

If i got stuck which was once or twice, i turned off VDC and got out fine.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:39 AM
-MN G Crew-

Originally Posted by RADIOGUY21
i had no troubles with my blizzaks and RWD this season. Im from chicago and we got hit with one of the snowiest winters in years. It was the first time i had ever driven RWD in the snow too. I must say the VLSD, VDC, and snow tires really helped out greatly. Im sure AWD would have been better but snow tires on RWD really makes a difference to just regular A/S tires.

If i got stuck which was once or twice, i turned off VDC and got out fine.
Yea, next winter im gonna start carrying a shovel with me.

In our 04, there was no getting stuck, no matter how bad the storm was....

Old 03-18-2008, 10:42 AM
a.k.a kleicoupe
Beater cars FTW!

Its too much of a pita to drive the G.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:55 AM
-MN G Crew-

Well, im gonna trug it out through this winter.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:11 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
I've never gotten stuck with my rwd G and I've driven in snow as deep as 8". I've driven in the really nasty snow with ice underneath too. This year has been the second snowest winter in Kansas City on record and we've had quite a few days where I had to drive on snow covered roads with 2" to 4" of super dangerous dry powder snow. The car did fine and this is in a very hilly area. These cars are really quite decent in the snow assuming you've got tires that have decent tread and are made for snow. I currently have Avon M550s that have about 40% tread left. Last year when the tires were basically new, the car was exceptional in the snow. If I lived somewhere that saw at least 20 days of deep 5"+ snow on the roads, I'd get snow tires. I'm certain a RWD on snow tires would be more effective in the snow than a AWD X with all season rubber. My wife was an AWD Legacy GT and that thing is awesome in the snow, but it still slips and slides and could get stuck if you're not paying attention. Overall, I find my G35 does jsut as well as any of my prior FWD cars. Now if the G35 didn't have traction control, ABS, and stability control, it could be a handful in the snow.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:32 PM
No Problem!

Drove the X to work today in the same stuff, no problem, I'm done with anything thats not AWD in this state. Just to much hassel, and once you have it it's very had to go back to a Non-AWD car. My advice is if you live somewhere like us, AWD is a MUST!

Old 03-18-2008, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts
my Blizzak's are bald... I put my summer wheels back on over the weekend... I am praying the snow is over. 275/35/18's are not the best for snow...

Old 03-18-2008, 02:31 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiney
Drove the X to work today in the same stuff, no problem, I'm done with anything thats not AWD in this state. Just to much hassel, and once you have it it's very had to go back to a Non-AWD car. My advice is if you live somewhere like us, AWD is a MUST!
Too much performance compromise, IMO. The X is heavier, gets worse MPGs, sits too high, aftermarket suspension components are limited, and is more expensive to service/repair. For $700, you could have dedicated snow tire/wheel package which would give you more snow capability than the X with a/s rubber.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:39 PM
blizak ws 50`s or i think they have 60`s out now. i live in MA and go to maine. trust me and buy them for next year.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:03 PM
I have Goodyear Triple Tread on my RWD and have had no problems at all this winter. Personally, I prefer RWD over AWD, you just have to know how to drive and what you can and cannot do with RWD. Plus with RWD you can have a lot more fun in the snow and wet roads. If you're looking for a great All-Season tire go with the Triple Tread, plus they look good and sporty.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:47 PM
Put some sandbags in your trunk, better traction and if you get stuck, you have some sand to help you get out

Old 03-20-2008, 11:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have an X, and man that thing plows through the canadian snow like an suv. I almost got stuck once, (in a big snow storm). My wheels actually stopped spining, i then quickly realize that i had to turn of the VDC!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Snow Experiences This Morning with the new G.