G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Compression rod sound is back..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 05:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
I will find it out for sure. My guess is control arm bushings. I will have an asnwer by tomorrow afternoon.
thanks! keep us updated

Old 07-01-2008, 08:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ive had the sound/noise for about 70,000 miles (i'm at 133k right now)

they quoted me $800 at one point to replace the compression rods

hopefully if they do just the bushings it'll be cheaper. my car sounds so ghetto going over bumpy roads

Old 07-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
Is there a how-to on changing the bushing? Maybe I should look in the FSM.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:31 AM
Originally Posted by diablo1356
anyone have any idea what that clunking noise is? i have the compression rod squeak but it doesnt bother me much, but the god damn clunking noise is ridiculous. sounds like something wants to snap. any ideas?
Do you have sways installed or is the car lowered? If yes then it might be your end links. From everything I have read "CLUNK" is the perfect description of end link noise. I have that noise right now as well and am working on getting it fixed.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by GF-4D-G35
Do you have sways installed or is the car lowered? If yes then it might be your end links. From everything I have read "CLUNK" is the perfect description of end link noise. I have that noise right now as well and am working on getting it fixed.
yeah my car is lowered, but no sways. does that mean the end links are on their way out? can you give me some more info concerning this? like how much and where to get this fixed? im out of warranty so i hope its not gonna be too much..

Old 07-02-2008, 02:50 PM
yeah my car is lowered, but no sways. does that mean the end links are on their way out? can you give me some more info concerning this? like how much and where to get this fixed? im out of warranty so i hope its not gonna be too much..
That might be it. The parts are not very expensive, about $20 per side. You can order them from one of the forum sponsors, I can't remember what the part number is. You can also buy aftermarket but they are about $80 per side. How long have you been lowered for?

Old 07-02-2008, 04:13 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Alright guys, I just corner balanced the car and the guy tightened the front sway bar endlink bolts and the clunking is completely gone. Now the problem is that this is the 3rd time im tightening those bolts (I have SPL endlinks) and i asked him why does this keep happening. He told me that the actual bolts are cheap bolts and they have tendency to loosen from vibrations. The solution is to get more expensive bolts and tighten endlinks with those.

As far as the old door sound from underneath, it is from the sway bar bushings. Solution is to re lube the bushings again. He took a look at the control arm and compression rod bushings and said they were in okay condition. No need for replacement. Well after my first drive every single noise is gone from underneath the car and i am the happiest guy ever. Not to mention how this fvckin thing handles now.

Total weight of my car was 3491 lb with me inside. I weigh 190 lb so the car itself is 3300lb with half tank of gas and no spare. I was actually surprised since i thought the car was much heavier than that. Overall weight distribution for my car was 54%-46% font and rear.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:49 PM
Alright guys, I just corner balanced the car and the guy tightened the front sway bar endlink bolts and the clunking is completely gone. Now the problem is that this is the 3rd time im tightening those bolts (I have SPL endlinks) and i asked him why does this keep happening. He told me that the actual bolts are cheap bolts and they have tendency to loosen from vibrations. The solution is to get more expensive bolts and tighten endlinks with those.

As far as the old door sound from underneath, it is from the sway bar bushings. Solution is to re lube the bushings again. He took a look at the control arm and compression rod bushings and said they were in okay condition. No need for replacement. Well after my first drive every single noise is gone from underneath the car and i am the happiest guy ever. Not to mention how this fvckin thing handles now.

Total weight of my car was 3491 lb with me inside. I weigh 190 lb so the car itself is 3300lb with half tank of gas and no spare. I was actually surprised since i thought the car was much heavier than that. Overall weight distribution for my car was 54%-46% font and rear.
That is awesome, glad you found a fix. I read somewhere that someone put loctite on their end link bolts. I am thinking of doing the same but how much effort is needed to break the bond? Could it cause more trouble than it is worth?

Old 07-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts

Which link side? The one that attaches to the suspension via the allen head/bolt or the link that actually attaches to the swaybar itself? Thanks

Another option is to use Loctite Red (strong) or Blue (med strength)

Old 07-02-2008, 07:50 PM
so all i have to do is go to a suspension shop and tell them to tighten those bolts you specified? fuking infiniti told me they couldnt find the problem. a$$holes.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by GF-4D-G35
That might be it. The parts are not very expensive, about $20 per side. You can order them from one of the forum sponsors, I can't remember what the part number is. You can also buy aftermarket but they are about $80 per side. How long have you been lowered for?
ive been lowered for 2+ years. tein stechs but ive never had any suspension or camber problems. just this damn noise which started happening a while back.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Which link side? The one that attaches to the suspension via the allen head/bolt or the link that actually attaches to the swaybar itself? Thanks

Another option is to use Loctite Red (strong) or Blue (med strength)
both were loose. Before i tightened the one that attaches to the sway bar and never bothered to check the one that attaches to the actual suspension. But i do have to keep a close eye on those parts probably re tighten them till i decide if im going to loctite it or get a new bolt/nut.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:04 PM
so all i have to do is go to a suspension shop and tell them to tighten those bolts you specified? fuking infiniti told me they couldnt find the problem. a$$holes.
well ur stock endlinks might be in bad condition. If i was u i would just get new ones from the dealer since they are $15-$20 and replace them with new ones.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:13 AM
It feels like im driving a brand new car. Im in love with this car again. After corner balancing this thing handles like its on rails and at the same time cannot hear any noises from undeneath which hadn't happen past year and half.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:44 PM
I just finished my compression rods and let me say it was a pain. Even though all the bolts were off, that thing would not budge. I tried everything I could think of and I have 7 yrs experience working on cars. Of course the right tools for the right job would help. I was at my house. But I had to tourch it first wich allowed me to get the arm off but left the big rubber bushing still stock on the bolt under the car. I then had to cut away the rubber to get to the metal shaft. And then took a dremal and cut the shaft in half to get it off. It wasnt fun. But now no noise at all, I dont remeber the last time my car was so quiet. I not only had a creaking noise but a horrible clunking sound over every bump. Im glad thats done, And I thought I could just bang it off with the sledge boy was I wrong. Im glad it worked out for you

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Compression rod sound is back..