G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

G35 has blown away my expectations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 03:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 has blown away my expectations

We've only had our '06 sedan a couple of weeks. And they're sort of a dime a dozen.....G35s are everwhere where I live and have seen them for years. I like the look even if it is a little bland. But never thought much about the G's.
Always a American V8 guy.

But everytime I drive it, I'm blown away on how great this car is. The transmission (auto) feels so responsive and smooth and geared right although it does rev a little higher than I expected on the freeway.

Handling, power, comfort, and build quality are really impressive and I don't even have the perf package....LOVE RWD! Took it on a little backroad trip this weekend and it was awesome. I only get to drive it on the weekend usually (g/f's daily driver) but maybe that's better since I won't get bored with it anytime soon. This car feels like it should cost $40K....to me anyway. The only car I'd pick over this G35 would be an '08 Vette but we need the back seat for now....and the tranny on the G35 is noticeably better.
Gas mpg doesn't seem to be that bad either if not hammering it all the time.

Anyway...great freakin' car! ZERO regrets so far.

Old 09-22-2008, 04:01 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Great choice. I feel the same. Sporty 4 door, decent room and best of all mods are cheap for this car. I ran a premium version too (ie. non-sport), with some minor suspension upgrades, it's handling like no other.

Old 09-22-2008, 04:49 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I really like the car also,
alot of people will rag on it and say its slow. Which is fine with me. If I wanted to go really fast I would of bought something else.

If you want a really nice daily driver with some speed the G35 is the way to go

Old 09-22-2008, 05:14 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Glad you are so happy!

Old 09-22-2008, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by blazeplacid
alot of people will rag on it and say its slow.
LOL!
Yeah, I had one of those guys at the track (1.9 mile road course) last month. Said he drove one and it was too slow for his taste. Well, guess who blew past him 3 times on the track?

Old 09-22-2008, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by blazeplacid
alot of people will rag on it and say its slow. Which is fine with me. If I wanted to go really fast I would of bought something else.

If you want a really nice daily driver with some speed the G35 is the way to go
Slow? I actually didn't expect the G to be as fast as it is. I knew the hp numbers before I drove ond but I didn't expect to "feel" as smooth and powerful as it is.

As far as sedans go, it seems very quick....maybe the best power for the $$ too. Even if it's not, it feels like the best all around sedan for the $$. I test drove the GTO (very fast but felt like a cheap POS and only a 4spd Auto), Charger RT w/performance package (pretty nice but still nowhere near as refined as the G and didn't feel any faster).

G feels like one the nicest all around sports sedans for the price. It may not be a 535i but it's so much more affordable and will satisfy most.

The only sedan I've personally driven that was more satisfying to pilot than the G was my Dad's '03 C32 AMG....talk about a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:07 PM
I have an '05 that I love! I have not had it into the dealer once for anything other than routine maintenance. The thing drives like a dream and I just have no complaints. I'm going to trade it in for a G37s when my lease is up, though. I only have 46K miles on it, too.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:30 PM
I cant help but to agree. I have only had my 06 for around a month now but it continues to impress me. While its not a true sports car it certainly doesn't feel SLOW to me. I would suggest as far as the refinement goes, through the power curve and else where it is more impressive than most sedans (this thing just friggin pulls). Having driven some of the newer, all be in non luxury, sedans in the price point where I picked up my "G" (used) I would suggest there is nothing that can touch it all around. Even dollar for dollar in new sedans I think it has alot of the other cars BEAT. I have driven many of the new sedans and I felt many of them cold. The fact of the matter is that many of these cars get rated highly due to on track performance (or reviewer bias for certain German brands which I never understood) which doesn't always translate into road performance. While the numbers would likely be different on an enthusiast area such as this, I would suggest the vast majority of people NEVER track their car and 90% of people simply don't have the skill set, training or experience to drive any car let alone a "G" to its performance edge. Yet the majority of people read magazines where cars a driven on track and look at 0-60 times and buy cars off of that. Not to rag on BMW (they build fantastic cars no doubt, one day I would love to own one) but I cannot believe how many people purchased cars with an iDrive system. Granted it doesn't affect the cars drive-ability (track area) but it sure as hell doesn't make the car a pleasure to drive. With my "G" I always seem to find the control I need is right where I would want it to be.

It really is a great enthusiast car. Anyone whom says the "G" is too slow is either stunned or is looking for something very different than a daily driver (this is of course my opinion). Not to mention for a very minimal amount of coin you can turn a "G" into a NEAR supercar performer. Look comparatively at the sports cars of just a few years ago in terms of performance and you will find the "G" beats most of those cars stats, yet still has the refinement to drag around the fam-damily.

I saw a quote on some web page reviewing a 6MT and I think it sums up the "G" nicely: If you have to haul family but you were born to haul ***, this is the sedan for you!

Still smiling

S.DUNN

Old 09-24-2008, 10:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This car is just awesome!

Old 09-24-2008, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by s.dunn
I cant help but to agree. I have only had my 06 for around a month now but it continues to impress me. While its not a true sports car it certainly doesn't feel SLOW to me. I would suggest as far as the refinement goes, through the power curve and else where it is more impressive than most sedans (this thing just friggin pulls). Having driven some of the newer, all be in non luxury, sedans in the price point where I picked up my "G" (used) I would suggest there is nothing that can touch it all around. Even dollar for dollar in new sedans I think it has alot of the other cars BEAT. I have driven many of the new sedans and I felt many of them cold. The fact of the matter is that many of these cars get rated highly due to on track performance (or reviewer bias for certain German brands which I never understood) which doesn't always translate into road performance. While the numbers would likely be different on an enthusiast area such as this, I would suggest the vast majority of people NEVER track their car and 90% of people simply don't have the skill set, training or experience to drive any car let alone a "G" to its performance edge. Yet the majority of people read magazines where cars a driven on track and look at 0-60 times and buy cars off of that. Not to rag on BMW (they build fantastic cars no doubt, one day I would love to own one) but I cannot believe how many people purchased cars with an iDrive system. Granted it doesn't affect the cars drive-ability (track area) but it sure as hell doesn't make the car a pleasure to drive. With my "G" I always seem to find the control I need is right where I would want it to be.

It really is a great enthusiast car. Anyone whom says the "G" is too slow is either stunned or is looking for something very different than a daily driver (this is of course my opinion). Not to mention for a very minimal amount of coin you can turn a "G" into a NEAR supercar performer. Look comparatively at the sports cars of just a few years ago in terms of performance and you will find the "G" beats most of those cars stats, yet still has the refinement to drag around the fam-damily.

I saw a quote on some web page reviewing a 6MT and I think it sums up the "G" nicely: If you have to haul family but you were born to haul ***, this is the sedan for you!
Still smiling

S.DUNN

Awesome quote!! Perfect!!

Old 09-24-2008, 10:22 PM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
all the sedan LOVE in here is GRRREAT...

Old 09-24-2008, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by admdavid
I have an '05 that I love! I have not had it into the dealer once for anything other than routine maintenance. The thing drives like a dream and I just have no complaints. I'm going to trade it in for a G37s when my lease is up, though. I only have 46K miles on it, too.
I have only had my '05 for about a month now but I love it more and more each time I drive it. I make excuses to drive it b.c it is so much fun. I think once the G37 sedans are out for a bit we might trade in hubbies car for one and he will take my 05.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:58 PM
congrats man, glad you enjoying the G. Very responsive vehicle, handle pretty good for a 4door.
100% totally agree this is a car to haul a full load.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:25 AM
When you talk about a car that is fun to drive(beyond all other comparison BS like absolute speed, and G-pad handling) you can't have more fun than a G sedan for under a 70K GTR IMHO. Ther's only one reason I haven't traded my 05' for a newer car like I usualy do every few years and that is there is absolutely no reason to trade it! Nothing out there comes close to putting as big a smile on my face when I turn that key.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:21 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I have had mine for almost 4 years and still love everything about it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 has blown away my expectations