G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Any advice on a Stillen install?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any advice on a Stillen install?

I picked up a Stillen cat back system for my 6-mt sedan. Anyone out there have any advice or tips on the install? Will I need any extra hardware, gaskets, etc.?
I have access to a lift and another set of hands (my buddy's gonna help me). I get the lift next Monday afternoon. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Q

Old 05-18-2004, 08:08 PM
Re: Any advice on a Stillen install?

The installation is pretty straightforward.

First, you should let your heated exhaust system cool down before you start. You also might want to loosen the catalytic converter brackets before you attempt to install the x-pipe. (The x-pipe may not line up exactly with the cat outlets.) You don't need any other parts, since you re-use the stock gaskets. (I did not care for that, either, but I have had no leaks.) Other than that, I have no other tidbits to pass along. You and your buddy should be able to handle it, no problem.

Be ready, the new exhaust is louder than the nearly silent stock piece. It's not raspy, nor does it drone. At wide open throttle, you're not going to *believe* the difference. My guess is you're going to like it. It will mellow somewhat with age, but it will never be as quiet as the stock piece.

Congratulations on a good choice. Take care.

'03 G35s 5AT, Garnet Fire/Willow
Staggered 18" SSR GT1/Bridgestone PP S03
Eibach Springs/Sways, Stillen 2-pc BBK
Stillen Intake & SS Cat-Back Dual Exhaust

Old 05-19-2004, 04:00 AM

pre assemble the x-pipe with the pre muffler section before you put it on the car. mine did not line up and had to use quite a bit of force to mate them together. never would have been able to put it together if the x-pipe was already on the car.

Old 05-20-2004, 02:49 PM

I think the biggies are:

1.) assemble all but last tail section on ground first
2.) loosen cat slip brackets for easy x-pipe alignment
3.) get different pipe clamps in case you ever want to remove system without cutting.

2004 | 6MTs | Diamond Graphite/Graphite
Upstate NY

Old 05-21-2004, 02:47 AM

Maybe I'm just lazy, but I had a local shop install my Stillen for $65. To me, its not worth the hassle. And if something goes wrong later, you can always take it back. Do it yourself and you're on your own.

Old 05-21-2004, 09:13 AM

Guys,

Thanks for all the GREAT advice! I have my sedan at the dealership now for some routine mnx, and they're going to give me a price to install the Stillen today (its in my trunk and back seat wrapped in towels). Hopefully they'll agree to do it for under $100. I have acess to a lift and kind of enjoy tinkering with my car, and an exhaust job isn't too difficult; but you're right, if a shop can do it for a reasonable price, I'm all for that -- more time with the kids...

If they agree to do it for not too much money, I'll be sure to print out all of your advice from this forum and take it to the technician! I think the shop wants to do it as there are very few (if any) modified G35s in Colo. Springs -- at least the dealer hasn't seen any!

Thank you again!

Q