G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Rear muffler failed - Replacement options?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-27-2008, 05:07 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
IF all you want to do is REPLACE, HKS is the one, no question.

Old 11-27-2008, 05:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's the $100 deal
http://www.boneheadperformance.com/M...rs-meganracing

Here it is for $114
https://www.upscaleautomotive.com/p-...t-muffler.aspx

I dunno which is cheaper after shipping until I go through the checkout process for shipping.

I wonder how hard it is to get an appropriate mounting arm welded onto it. I could imagine it being difficult on stainless sheet.

Let me know when you hear from Megan but I bet it's weld on.

Originally Posted by gtrefever
what site did you find it on, haha i want in

Old 11-27-2008, 06:07 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Sagemark
Mufflers normally fail when an internal baffle rusts out and or breaks loose, or when they rust through externally or have a weld break causing leakage.

With mine, the exhaust note deepened and there was a loss of power at mid/high rpms.

With the car on a lift the cats and middle resonator sound fine and the noise is coming from the rear muffler. Additionally there is an area with concentric ripples of heat caused blue staining on the side of the muffler near its inlet, indicating that something came loose and is deflecting the exhaust stream at the sidewall of the muffler. The loss of power is due to flow restriction.
What's this "noise" you're talking about. If it's a metallic ringing sound that occurs under load, usually between 2500-4000rpms, then most likely it's those HFCs making the noise. When you open up the exhaust on a VQ, especially when manipulating the cats, the VQ's firing order can make for some very odd metallic sounds that sound very much like rattling metal or a failed muffler. My old modded VQ muffler had this sound and I swore it was a failing muffler. I replaced the OEM muffler and the noise was still there. It turns out the noise was because I had a y-pipe (removes the precats) and a midpipe without a resonator. I swapped in the stock midpipe and the noise went away. For years, G and Z owners have been mistaking this metallic sound for broken exhaust components. The truth is it's the sound of the VQ's firing order coming though. Just something to consider because the exhaust components on these cars are stainless steel and I've never heard of a muffler on these cars failing or rusting out.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:28 PM
Thank you for sharing that, I can imagine what you're describing, but I don't think so on this. The cats have been on for a while and they did add a rasp and a "metallic" tone.

What happened to me here is everything was running sweet and I hadn't made any changes for several thousand miles. I was driving along and all the sudden there was a deeper tone that was louder under throttle. I had a loss of a noticeable amount of power, in the mid to upper rpm ranges.

Its impossible to describe the change in the sound but its like its blowing, but inside.

I did inspect the baffles from the outlets and they look ok. I'm almost positive there is problem in it. There's no way to check without cutting it open though.

Are you sure these mufflers are all stainless inside? Even if it is, there's still a problem. If I've got a different problem I sure do want to correctly identify it, but I can't see how its not in this muffler having listened all over under the car, plus I checked for heat buildups with heat sensor gun and there was nothing abnormal throughout the rest of the system. I'm open to other ideas.

Originally Posted by DaveB
What's this "noise" you're talking about. If it's a metallic ringing sound that occurs under load, usually between 2500-4000rpms, then most likely it's those HFCs making the noise. When you open up the exhaust on a VQ, especially when manipulating the cats, the VQ's firing order can make for some very odd metallic sounds that sound very much like rattling metal or a failed muffler. My old modded VQ muffler had this sound and I swore it was a failing muffler. I replaced the OEM muffler and the noise was still there. It turns out the noise was because I had a y-pipe (removes the precats) and a midpipe without a resonator. I swapped in the stock midpipe and the noise went away. For years, G and Z owners have been mistaking this metallic sound for broken exhaust components. The truth is it's the sound of the VQ's firing order coming though. Just something to consider because the exhaust components on these cars are stainless steel and I've never heard of a muffler on these cars failing or rusting out.

Last edited by Sagemark; 11-27-2008 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:18 PM
Anyone in NC that has a stock muffler in their garage they could loan him for a week or so? I do, but I'm a bit far away.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:59 AM
It's not so bad I can't live with it a few days. I think I'm going to go down to CIN Mortorsports in Charlotte to weld on a magnaflow. I've been wanting to go check them out anyway. (I keep thinking about an STS system...)

Originally Posted by Texasscout
Anyone in NC that has a stock muffler in their garage they could loan him for a week or so? I do, but I'm a bit far away.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know im digging up an older post but I just ordered the megan muffler for my sedan to replace my stock one thats on its way out. The megan mufflers in the posts above are oval with two tips. I found a good price on ilovebodykits.com for the 03 sedan but didn't think about the shape until I received it (pictured). Will the cylinder shape make it sound too raspy/ricey or will this still give me the deeper tone I'm looking for. Just wanted to make sure so I could return it if this type will give me the wrong sound.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you receive the muffler already. Can you post more pics of the actual product. Is it a bolt on.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:32 AM
Its not installed yet, the only picture I took is worse than the stock one lol. Also it needs to be welded on, but my uncle is a mechanic and will do it for free.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:23 PM
Is it a "bolt up" like the HKS "rear section" muffler?

Old 04-25-2010, 10:00 PM
im pretty sure it has to be welded, theres no flange on the end