G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

brake and suspension options for tracking a 2005 sedan MT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 03:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brake and suspension options for tracking a 2005 sedan MT

I am interested in taking my G35 sedan to some HPDEs. I have a GT-R but one session wears about ~$100 of rubber off my tires, among other things. Plus I want a low tech car to mix things up . Want to upgrade the brakes and suspension.

Advice on brake kits ?

suspension upgrades?

I want the best bang for the buck without getting really expensive. I want something that is effective.

Any list of kits for both with estimated costs and install costs would be awesome.

Also the seat sucks. Adive how to keep my butt in the seat?

Thanks

Old 12-15-2008, 04:20 AM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
whats your budget?

Old 12-15-2008, 10:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
switching to a coupe seat will help to keep you planted. search a bit and you should see some info.

a z suspension or coilovers are both good but your budget and intentions for the car will play a role in how fancy you want to get. coilovers would probably be useful if you are tracking it. sorry, i don't know what HPDE is...

Old 12-15-2008, 11:01 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
You might want to pick up the last 3 or 4 issues of "Modified" magazine. They are building a "track" G35 Coupe and a lot of what they are doing will apply to the Sedan also.

Old 12-15-2008, 02:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
don't mean to sound mean or rude but based on your post you have a gtr but worry about tires wearing out??? maybe i just envy the fact that you have a gtr....

Old 12-15-2008, 02:15 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
You only go through $100 of tires in a track day? What about brake wear? =X

Drive harder

Realistically, coils properly set up, and a BBK should keep you happy. The combinations are limitless, but you can't go wrong if you have the suspension tuned properly.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by FenixL1P
don't mean to sound mean or rude but based on your post you have a gtr but worry about tires wearing out??? maybe i just envy the fact that you have a gtr....
Sorry I probably shouldn't have even mentioned that. It is a very expensive car to track. Literally hundreds of $$$ are spent in each session. Plus it is so good a car I don't know if I am any good... I want to find out..

Old 12-15-2008, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by Mike@RiversideInfiniti
You only go through $100 of tires in a track day? What about brake wear? =X
Each session, not day lol.. I haven't figured out how much yet but I know it is a lot.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:45 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
I would pull the rear seat, pass seat, spare tire and misc stuff from the trunk. Get a nice Sparco or other racing seat that can go in place for the track days.

Get a set of Tein Flex coilovers

Get a set of wider wheels that will support at least 245mm R compound tires.

Get a BBK (Rotora, Wilwood, Brembo, Stoptech, etc) for the front and upgrade the lines, rotors and pads on the rears.

As for engine mods the sky is the limit. Most of the coupe mods except for exhaust will fit the sedan.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:54 PM
Thanks all I guess I forgot to mention this car is my daily driver so I gotta keep it drivable on the street. I can live with a stiffer suspension but nothing to insane.

Thanks!

Old 12-15-2008, 06:52 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
In that case I would go with a more mid-line coilover. I have the Tein CS but they are a bit soft for track use. I run my sways on hard and the EDFC all the way up and still would like more on the track. My car is also my DD so it was not worth it to change out the coilovers for a couple track days a year.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:10 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
buy my 350z track wheels and wilwood BBK.

Shoot me a package price and I'll consider it

Old 12-15-2008, 08:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you can get your hands on OEM brembos they work great on the sedan, i have a set, on Rays OEM 19

Old 12-15-2008, 08:45 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
If you're really wanting to see if you're a good driver at HDPEs, I think I'd look at a different car. Eventually, you're going to hit the same wall with the sedan as the GT-R (tire/brake cost).

If I were you, I'd invest the money into a late-first gen Miata. You can get some good sticky rubber for cheap, light wheels for low cash, suspension and brakes don't have the burden of the weight of the car, and upgrades are cheap as hell.

Plus, that car would be a fantastic auto-x car. That'll really get you driving skill up.

All in all, the same thing that's hurting the GT-R will hurt the sedan: weight.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by itgogitrev
If you're really wanting to see if you're a good driver at HDPEs, I think I'd look at a different car. Eventually, you're going to hit the same wall with the sedan as the GT-R (tire/brake cost).

If I were you, I'd invest the money into a late-first gen Miata. You can get some good sticky rubber for cheap, light wheels for low cash, suspension and brakes don't have the burden of the weight of the car, and upgrades are cheap as hell.

Plus, that car would be a fantastic auto-x car. That'll really get you driving skill up.

All in all, the same thing that's hurting the GT-R will hurt the sedan: weight.
Tires on the GT-R: $400 a piece.
Brake job: $6000
Transmission fluid change: $1000
Oil change: $200 a pop

DIY won't save me much on any of this...

Pretty sure the G35 or most other cars a a lot cheaper. I have thought about even a spec Miata but I really need to try one out first. I love speed too and the GT-R spoils me there.

Lastly, I want to keep the GT-R. I want my 4 door G35 MT as my DD. Adding another car? Dunno if I want to go that far but hey it might save me money.

As for some of the offers. I am just getting info right now. I will be deciding more soon.

Thanks yet again...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: brake and suspension options for tracking a 2005 sedan MT