G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

New g35 owner....with questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 12:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New g35 owner....with questions

Hey guys, newbie here with some questions. I just bought a 2006 g35 sedan with the premium package and 46k miles. My biggest concern is the car revs more than any other car i've driven just to be going from a to b. Let me explain....the car changes into second gear in no less than 3000 rpms and when it changes into second at those rpm's it kinda sling-shots you ahead and I immediately have to hit the brakes not to hit the person in front of me. This is a pain when your just trying to get across an intersection or something and trying to dodge having the car shift into second. Again, this is just barely into the throttle meaning just giving it enough gas to get up to speed. Second and third gears are similar but not like first gear gets ringed out. The transmission pulls hard and locks tight when its needed so its not like a slipping issue. I was just curious if these cars have transmissions that "learn" your driving style and the car had "learned" the driving habits of the monkeys that drove it at the dealership. The reason I say this is the dealership drove it 1,000 miles while in their possession and all the salesmen there came up to me while I was signing the papers saying "you will love that car, it will fly!!" I hope it will learn to relax on the rpm's and do it fast. My brother has an 04 maxima and my parents have an 05 3.5 altima and both shift normally. I'm just curious if it seems normal or if something I need to have looked out, i've only had it 5 days. I do love the car, I figured it would ride better than it does but it still isn'tl bad...my brothers maxima seems much cushier. I also have a dreaded rattle from the back seat somewhere that I seen others here have so I will go to work on that also. Car is massively different than my 06 mustang gt I traded it in for and thats GOOD. Thanks guys

*****update- hey guys well this morning while idling the car's "service engine soon" light came on. I read in the manual but already knew that lots of times its caused by a loose gas cap. We'll I went to check it and sure enough I was able to turn it at least 1/2 a turn (180 degrees) before I got to the first click. It must have been done when they filled it up when I bought it as I haven't put gas in it yet. Sure enough after a few times being shut off and started today the light went back off and I haven't seen it again. Just being stupid here maybe....but could it being loose made the computer act different and shift like it did. Its weird because I don't remember it shifting that way when I test drove it or on the way home....it seemed to start shifting late the morning after I bought it. I will continue to drive it and see if it straightens up and after a few days I will have it serviced if it doesn't. Thanks, Tim

Last edited by t600; 12-17-2008 at 03:44 PM. Reason: update
Old 12-17-2008, 12:55 AM
the only thing that i can think of is the way the car shifts when it is first driven and is cold, ive heard that it is a slightly harder, faster shift in order to save the transmission wear and tear somehow.

ps, welcome to the forum, and to your g!

Old 12-17-2008, 03:38 AM
how much did you pay for your g35?

Welcome to the G-spot..

Old 12-17-2008, 03:52 AM
Received 444 Likes on 315 Posts
Welcome.

If this happens all the time I would take it to the dealership and have it looked at under warranty. Do you know if the transmission fluid has ever been changed or if the 30k service was done?

Old 12-17-2008, 09:50 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
I'd take it in under warranty. My car doesn't do a thing like that. When it was 10 degrees out a week or so ago, i'd pull out of my driveway and it would shift smoothly and at low RPM.

In fact, there are sometimes i would get on it from a stop and it would shift to 2nd too soon for my tastes

Old 12-18-2008, 12:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome buddy.

As far as the RPMs running high... i noticed mine runs high when its cold and you first start it.. but it def goes down to a normal RPM after 10 mins... and i agree the first gear is kinda fast..

Old 12-18-2008, 01:04 AM
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
a grounding kit might help

Old 12-18-2008, 02:16 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I know exactly what you're talking about. I get the feeling it's the torque converter "spooling up" then releasing in second, right at the power band. You're almost launched forward when it kicks second. Kinda fun once you get used to it!