Old 01-11-2009, 12:16 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Definitely wouldn't be me .

Old 01-11-2009, 12:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
chu don it now. Hurt me feelings.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:10 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
If your sliding...it's either pure ice out..or your tires blow.

I was out tonight with the stock Eagle RS-As. Drove 30 miles in a snowstorm, didn't have a single issue. I didn't even need to put it in SNOW mode.

Sadly, the last two miles i saw a nice white FX45 with a tree where the engine used to be. Went around a bend too fast and ended up into a tree at what looked like a good speed. Unsure how the driver made out.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea i have an 04 G35x as well, living in New england. It was horrible when we got that first storm and i still had bald all-season's on. It's definitely the tire. I've come to find out, It's all about tires when it comes to snow. AWD won't do shyte in the snow if you ain't got the right shoes. My gf has the better handling Subary Legacy GT (sorry my fellow G's but it's true) and they came with potenzas on them - After the 1st storm, she wouldn't drive it anymore without getting snow tires on ASAP.

For mine and hers, i went to tirerack.com
Read lots of reviews and went with blizzaks Ws-60 for both our cars. They are exceptional in snow but wierd on dry pavement. Kinda loud too but i don't care about that.

Last night i was one of those ppl i typically call "douche bags" when it snows --- everyone was doing 20 in the slow lane in about 2 inches of snow and i came whipping by doing around 60 on my blizzaks. It just chomps the snow. I also never use the snow mode.

After these wear out in a couple of seasons, i will move to the M3's they had great reviews as well and are performance winter tires.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:46 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I ran Kumho kh16's for two winters in PA.... no problem. It's a combo of your driving style (50%) and the tire. Most G owners tend to be aggressive drivers, use common sense. Blizzaks are the best.

Finally, nothing more ill-advised than an owner of a G, or Mustang, or Mazda 6, or AWD truck who flew by you at 60, suddenly swimming and sliding in the median or in a head-on collision. The worst part is when they endanger others or cause others to slide off the road.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:30 AM
the awd system requires that at least one tire have some traction. if you are pure sliding, then ZERO tires have traction and there is nothing that the system can do - period. that is why the tire (tread depth, pattern, and compound) are a necessary condition. once some tires have some traction, then the awd system can do its thing. IMHO the awd is geared more for increasing performance in that it acts like rwd when it can and transfer power fwd when it cannot. it's not a full time awd system (unless in snow mode and then only at very low speed). its good in the snow, but best when driving 'sporty' in less than ideal dry, smooth, warm, pavement conditions.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:14 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
man, i've finally got to see my X in snow, went out to WI to go snowboarding and WOWzers.

I had all seasons on because they are at 50% and i want to wear them down and the mount snow tires and the OE rims. But on unpaved highway roads i was fish tailing for the most part. And i was drifting when making left and right turns on the road. It really wasn't a pleasant ride. Driving home thru unfamiliar roads in the snow and complete darkness in no where land... My friend with FWD cars was having no problems at all. Just initial traction off the line. I'm sure snow tires next will dominate.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:46 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Here in Chicago we just got 6-8 inches. My 05 G35x was at the dealer getting new tires so I had the 05 FX35 on loan..

Needless to say after getting my G back with new tires it drove better than the FX!!

Basically I was having the stopping problem in the FX, so this boils down IMO to the fact that you need some good new all season tires..
After I got the G back it drove awesome in the snow!!
I am super happy with my purchase!! ( before I got the new tires I was having slipping problems in the snow)

Old 01-11-2009, 02:41 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
WHat tires did you get??

Tires are the #1 important safety feature of a vehicle. Think about it, all the HP upgrades we make, braking upgrades, suspension and handling mods all get inputed to the road through 4 small contact patches of rubber. Fancy AWD drive systems and hi-tech anti-lock brakes are useless with a crappy tire. Guys will willingly spend THOUSANDS on mods and yet then go out and buy cheap tires. I don't get it.

It really helps to research and buy some nice rubber

Old 01-11-2009, 04:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i was up in Vermont this week. i went to Mt. Snow for the Dew Tour and i took my G lowered on H&R, 19's, Pilot Sport All Seasons. i must say the tires and care handled just like i hoped it would. it pretty much snowed all week and i stayed about 35-40 driving home last night threw the storm and no problems.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:44 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
WHat tires did you get??

Tires are the #1 important safety feature of a vehicle. Think about it, all the HP upgrades we make, braking upgrades, suspension and handling mods all get inputed to the road through 4 small contact patches of rubber. Fancy AWD drive systems and hi-tech anti-lock brakes are useless with a crappy tire. Guys will willingly spend THOUSANDS on mods and yet then go out and buy cheap tires. I don't get it.

It really helps to research and buy some nice rubber
Guys will spend TENS of thousands of dolllars, thousands on mods, but cheap out on tires... and gas... and maintenance...

Old 01-11-2009, 05:14 PM
im still runnin my crappy stock bridgestones! i would get to 45mph tops last night and feel it slide a lil.. but i hate drivin in the snow and the x gives me the needed confidence.. btw, did use snow mode last night and was fine.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:39 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
i got stuck on flat ground last night, on hardpacked snow, in my 05 on the n19s w/potenzas.

It was terrible. I was just moving it. The tires did nothing to stop the car, or turn for the matter, and getting going was godawful lol

If you ever think about taking summer tires in the snow, dont, rent a car, anything. You wont move.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mike@RiversideInfiniti
Guys will spend TENS of thousands of dolllars, thousands on mods, but cheap out on tires... and gas... and maintenance...
I never heard of anything more true.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help, my g35x is terrible in the snow