G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Help, my g35x is terrible in the snow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 05:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G-Money63
I have a 2004 G35x with Kumho Solus KH16 tires (decent tread). We are starting to get snow in NY and I can't stop the car...seriously! When going 15mph I try to stop and the ABS kicks in while I slide for 30ft.

The car slips and slides on a flat road while excelerating and the "slip" indicator comes on. I know the AWD only kicks in when needed...Does this mean the AWD is engaging?

I've been reading some posts and people seem happy with this car in the snow...is it just my tires or is there something else I should look at? Also...what are good tires for this AWD system?

thank you...I'm a newbie to the board and I really need help.
well ur not alone im in NY and last saturday i was sliding with my G35x. icy roads u will slide there is nothing you can do about that. WELL EXCEPT DRIVE SLOWLY.

PLAYBOY

Old 01-16-2009, 06:08 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Sorry guys I have passed by this thread enough, I have to say something.

I hope this thread dies soon cause I hate reading that stupid title which is not true for the X if you are properly set up.

The X Rocks in the snow and on ice.

You need two things though:

1. Good winter tires (eat ****e with your All Seasons).
2. The ability to drive.

So you dickweeds that are complaining , take care of the above two things and your problem will be solved.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:13 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
lol i believe in snow tires, but im to damn cheap to blow my own money on my dads leased car haha

Old 01-16-2009, 10:29 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Wannabe6MT
lol i believe in snow tires, but im to damn cheap to blow my own money on my dads leased car haha
Honestly Janik, if it is a 4 year lease or whatever, how much is that going to cost over the lease period. Another thing, can you really put a price on safety??
You and I have talked about this a few times.
I guarantee, if you got them you could not wipe the smile off your face, after you tackle the snow covered roads. It is like you are on rails

I wish you lived closer, I would love to loan you mine for a test drive.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:31 AM
-MN G Crew-

Lol we only have the car for another year. it was only a 24month lease.

My sisters boyfriend has Yokohama ice X or somthing (pretty sure same ones hullio has) and that thing is AMAZING in the snow. So much better than the stock dunlops on our G. it is incredible.

But Wayne, im driving my car next winter and plan on buying Blizzaks

Old 01-28-2009, 07:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What a phenominal car!

I live in Baltimore, MD, and after several hours or snow, sleet, and rain, the roads iced over last night. As I left my home this morning at 6:45 am, I noticed my neighbor sliding up next to me from the opposite direction in his Chrysler Seabring and said, "Don't bother going up the hill (referring to the only street leading out of my neighborhood), it is a sheet of ice, and I could not get up it. It is very dangerous." I replied, "Well, I'll give it a try, I've got All-Wheel Drive baby!" He wished me luck, and then he went back home.

So I pressed the snow button, and proceeded down the glossy path. I turned to the hill, and he was right, it was a sheet of ice. You could very easily ice skate on this bad boy for hours. I gave a little pep talk to my car and ventured up the hill. No problems whatsoever. The "slip" light didn't even come on. I felt as if I was in complete control and hugging the road. I then made my turns and headed on into work this morning. Cruising past mini-vans, Prius', and hyrbids-alike. "Piece of cake", I thought.

There is no question that I made a smart decision to buy this car with AWD.

Although, the downside is that I no excuse for going into work. Stupid car.....

Old 01-28-2009, 08:07 AM
Hey jm; i have an X in Annapolis and had the same experience. Yesterday the dealer had the car and 'informed' me that I needed new tires. It is true, 28K on the original treads and they are down to 1/16. Nevertheless, the G just motored up the ice hill in the neighborhood and I cruised past all the other ditch dwellers. This is by far the best car I hae ever owned for driving in inclement weather. It rocks.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:32 AM
I love my g35x in the snow.. i have general exclaim uhp which are neither expensive nor winter tires and i have zero problems in the snow.. my g even handles much better in the snow than my 1992 jeep cherokee did.

Try new tires and look at it this way.. whats your deductible? $500? a new set of tires will cost less than that and if they help you avoid one crash then they have paid for themselves.

Good luck and remember if nothing else.. only 2 more months till spring

Old 03-02-2009, 08:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another snow day, another day of cruising past all other cars. There is no way I would have even attempted to drive today without AWD. Having AWD certainly inspires confidence (so long as it does not lead to cockeyness). Keep in mind that having AWD does NOT make you invincible.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:27 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
There is 12"+ forcast today here. I looked out the window and said screw it and decided to stay home from work.

I dont care how nicely my car drives in snow..it's terrible out. Maybe later when it winds down i'll go for a cruise

Old 03-02-2009, 08:55 AM
it wasn't too bad in the morning, rough when i had the SNOW mode turned off, but overall not bad enough for me to stay home, i was out friday

now to come up with a reason to go home early. then the effort is there but i can still enjoy the day!

Old 03-02-2009, 08:57 AM
Had to go to work in this snow storm hitting the east coast. Did not want to drive because I have 30k on these tires with about 1/8 thread left. Still, the snow mode climbed up hills that other cars were stopped on. I did just sit there and spin my tires with the snow mode off. I still kept it real slow regardless of how planted the g felt because lack of the lack of thread on the tires. I still wish I had put those new tires on last week instead of trying to get another month out of these. Just me and the jeeps out here. kinda funny.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:12 AM
-MN G Crew-

Pansys. AWD shmallwheel drive

Old 03-03-2009, 10:42 AM
Hey swede6162, I'm just north of you (Lancaster, PA) and I had to take my son in for his 2 month check up (and shots). I headed out just after the worst of it started and I gotta agree with you, my X made the snow it's b@tch! My car had about 6 inches of fresh snow around it plus whatever I had just cleaned off. I put it in snow mode and just pulled out like the snow wasn't there My tires are probably 1/3 worn and I could still comfortably do 55 on the highway. I don't know why people are complaining about the X being bad in the snow .... i love it! Wannabe6MT, you guys in MN are practically born into snow. When you guys look out your window in the morning and DON'T see snow you're surprised. I was out in Minneapolis last May and have to wear a jacket to go out at night. Looking forward to seeing your mods this spring!

Old 03-03-2009, 10:50 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
ive got a rwd 03 sdn .

i have all seasons . stopping isnt too difficult in the snow weve had ..

just take your time and drive slower than you would normally drive .

brake softly about twice the normal distance than your use to braking..

to allow you to stop without slidding ..

must be your tires ... imo

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help, my g35x is terrible in the snow