G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

03-04 G35 sedan or 04 Nissan Maxima?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 10:37 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by SWEEs G
I have really enjoyed having rear-wheel drive again. We live where it snows a bit more than a dusting and ice's about 2" a year. In that weather I would honestly choose the FWD car we have over the G. It would handle a bit better, and if it got nailed by someone not experienced on snow and ice, it wouldn't hurt the precious G. She would be safely garaged at home, nice and warm.

I have gotten around fine through my 5th Kansas City winter with my RWD G running all season rubber. Never have been stuck or lost control. Kansas City is pretty hilly and I haven't had any issues driving through a dusting or up to 7" of snow. The typical amount of snow on the road when I drive is around 2" and there's no problem. Sure, it takes a few moments to start accelerating and you can feel the ABS and stability control kick on as you drive (usually in turns), but it's no worse than my old Maxima or prior Hondas. My old 94 Z28 on other hand, now that was scary. Still got around through 4 winters in that too. No easily though.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by SWEEs G
Aaron,

What you gave wasn't pros and cons, which would have been helpful to the OP. You merely made a "maxima.org" smug remark about the 6th gens. (There's originality). How again was your 'advice' helpful?

Maxima.org? Well there's a reliable sight. They definitely support all year Maximas.

So what that you own CTmaximas.org? That makes you more qualified to answer 6th gen questions than anyone else, including former owners?

Back on topic big guy. Let's help this OP!

I'd have to say he probably knows WAY more about Maxima's than yourself. Maxima.org has 81K members and they're a far more knowledgable crowd than most G owners. The stuff they've come up with VQs blows this site and my350z.com out of the water. I've been on Maxima.org for 11 years now and while I've never owned a 6th gen Maxima, I've spent more than enough time on the 6th gen board to know that 6th gen Maximas, especially the early ones, that significant reliability problems (mostly chassis stuff), the car was slower than the one it replaced, and it handled and stopped worse. Just because we haven't owned one doesn't mean we can't research the 6th gen owner experiences from maxima.org. For most of us Maxima enthusiasts, the 6th gen Maxima was by far the ugliest Maxima made and went entirely against it's Nissan's title as "4DSC" or 4 door sports car. Even Nissan knew they made a mistake hence the massive improvements with the 7th gen car......except for that damn CVT.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DaveB
I'd have to say he probably knows WAY more about Maxima's than yourself. Maxima.org has 81K members and they're a far more knowledgable crowd than most G owners. The stuff they've come up with VQs blows this site and my350z.com out of the water. I've been on Maxima.org for 11 years now and while I've never owned a 6th gen Maxima, I've spent more than enough time on the 6th gen board to know that 6th gen Maximas, especially the early ones, that significant reliability problems (mostly chassis stuff), the car was slower than the one it replaced, and it handled and stopped worse. Just because we haven't owned one doesn't mean we can't research the 6th gen owner experiences from maxima.org. For most of us Maxima enthusiasts, the 6th gen Maxima was by far the ugliest Maxima made and went entirely against it's Nissan's title as "4DSC" or 4 door sports car. Even Nissan knew they made a mistake hence the massive improvements with the 7th gen car......except for that damn CVT.
I stopped looking at Maximas when they did away with the manual tranny...

Old 01-23-2009, 11:53 AM
All of us Maxima diehards continue to dream of the day when the Maxima become smaller (3 series size, slightly smaller than the G), goes RWD (like the 1st gen Maxima), and a manual. I'd imagine many of us Maxima guys driving Gs would go back. I don't understand why Nissan continues to make the Maxima so large and so much like the Altima. Leave the Altima where it's at and shrink the Maxima and make it RWD, obviously on the FM platform.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
All of us Maxima diehards continue to dream of the day when the Maxima become smaller (3 series size, slightly smaller than the G), goes RWD (like the 1st gen Maxima), and a manual. I'd imagine many of us Maxima guys driving Gs would go back. I don't understand why Nissan continues to make the Maxima so large and so much like the Altima. Leave the Altima where it's at and shrink the Maxima and make it RWD, obviously on the FM platform.
Thats why they made the G.

I like the Maxima and I30/35's. The Maxima has always been or will be what I call a sport tourer. It kind of does everything well but doesn't excel at any one thing. It is like the Yamaha FZ1 of motorcycles. Its fast, handles reasonably well, and is comfortable. A sportbike like my CBR1000rr is much faster, handles like a dream, has very sticky tires, and is lightweight. It is out of the box ready for the track.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:13 PM
get a g35x(AWD) and get the best of both worlds!

Old 01-23-2009, 04:36 PM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
Maxima.org? Well there's a reliable sight. They definitely support all year Maximas.
Are you kidding?????????????? You're probably just as n00bish over there as you are here...

6th Gen Maxima
Cons: Ugly and FWD
Pros: There are none

I hate to say the 6th Gen is even a Maxima.

I have always respected DaveB and he has done a lot for the Maxima community and carries it well to the G35 board as well. I agree with him when he says I know more about Maximas than you do.

I have always said, since the minute I bought my G35, "It's everything my Maxima was not." Of course I've been through two Maximas and still would love to have one.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:24 PM
Funny those of you saying someone knows more than me as though you are stating a fact is just plain ignorance on your part! You have grotesquely and incorrectly measured me.

What you read on sites doesn't give you the 'all you need to know' that you base your criteria on. Own it. Mod it, track it, mod it more, have close calls in it and learn to be elusive of wrecks in it; then you can truly understand the car you so quickly degrade publicly. While you are knowledable, you fall short of ownership, which speaks volumes to someone like the OP who is looking for experienced opinions with these cars.

I'll take your word for it regarding the handling of the G in adverse weather conditions. This is something I am not experienced with (yet).

DaveB,
I am familiar with maxima.org also. Unfortunately what you quoted (as issues) fell short of the whole picture.
In my first post, I wrote to the OP that there are obvious 04 issues that would cause me to shudder at the thought of purchasing one. So that has been clearly covered.
Perhaps I am missing your example. You said that the issues you understood were "mainly chassis" problems. The issues 04 owners experienced were more than 'mainly chassis' problems. In fact most problems faced by 04 owners weren't chassis based at all.

Struts
Hubs
Skyview
B-Pillar seperation
Dead Clutch (feeling)
Bose Head Unit

Also you said that Nissan in hindsight after realizing their 'massive mistake' in making the 6th gen which, according to you, wasn't compliant with '4-DSC' (Which I was aware stood for "4-Door Sports Car"), revamped the 7th gen. As familiar as you are with Maximas (in general) you are or should be fully aware that Nissan (since 1981) has dramatically changed the car multiple times. I doubt they were done because of errors made with previous generations as much as you attribute the latest change with. It's keeping up with trends and driver desires.

That said, I agree with the poster that they are disappointed with Nissan's decision to do away with the 6-speed in the Maxima. I too, am greatly disheartened by it as well.

Carry on.....

Last edited by SWEEs G; 01-24-2009 at 08:22 AM.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by AARONHL
Are you kidding?????????????? You're probably just as n00bish over there as you are here...

6th Gen Maxima
Cons: Ugly and FWD
Pros: There are none

I hate to say the 6th Gen is even a Maxima.

I have always respected DaveB and he has done a lot for the Maxima community and carries it well to the G35 board as well. I agree with him when he says I know more about Maximas than you do.
Of course, more factual proof than opinion I see. When all else fails restate the same unintelligible rhetoric you've been spewing.

Noobish? How cute. Really......

Old 01-24-2009, 11:53 AM
Don't take your frustration and anger out on me because you spent your money on a 6th Gen Maxima. Don't argue with me because I couldn't care less.

Give the OP information Consumer Reports, Car Fax or Autorader can't give him if you were so in-depth with your Maxima.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:57 AM
Aww isn't that cute? Personal attacks are all you've got when intelligence and meaningful insight fail you.

Oh sure, I'm full of regrets for buying a beautiful luxury car for the dollar amount I spent? Is that what you've gathered from this conversation? I see your reading skills fail you as do your interpretation of what's been said.

Let it go kiddo.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 2004 g35x and a 2006 maxima and the g35 is faster, better handling, louder exhaust note, interior looks better. My 06 maxima has more technology than my 04 g35 but dats because its just newer, but your comparing to the same years so g35 FTW

Old 01-24-2009, 06:02 PM
I'm immature when you started with the personal attacks?

Old 01-24-2009, 07:40 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
the Maxima has waaayyyy too much torque steer... Too mcuh power for a front wheel drive car - its just odd to drive (IMO). I test drove it before getting the G - actually liked the way the Altima drove better (better than the Maxima that is, not the G)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 03-04 G35 sedan or 04 Nissan Maxima?