G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Are these jack stands too high for our G?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 01:06 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Are these jack stands too high for our G?

Hi all,

I've had these for a couple years and it was purchased mainly to do oil change or tire rotation. The floor jack and jack stands have ratings of 2.5 ton.

So far, it's been handling the job it was intended for. Now I want to do a bit more such as coolant change, differential change, etc so I want a more sturdy jack stand since I will be spending a bit more time under the car. With that being said, I went out to Sears today to purchase two sets of 3-ton jack stands. See picture below. It's the red jack stand on the right. The quality feels much better than the current one I have on the left. However, I found out these are high lift suv jack stands and minimum height is 13 inches, whereas my old jack stands have minimum height of about 10 inches.

The current floor jack I have has a maximum lift of 15 inches. In other words, I think it may not even clear it high enough to get the 3 ton jack stand into the jack point.

Does anyone have a good recommendation of some good 3 ton jack stands or good floor jacks (but not too expensive)?

Old 01-26-2009, 01:52 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
do yourself a favor...go get a REAL floorjack

I'd get a 3 ton floor jack, craftsman works for me

Old 01-26-2009, 01:57 AM
Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley

Any specific ones? Yeah, I was thinking to get a real floor jack or maybe get some shorter but better (car) jack stands like these for example http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=38846

I don't plan on doing anything major so I don't really need to lift the car high.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley

I am sure thats not really his Floorjack. Thats the craftsman picture for that Jack

Old 01-26-2009, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by soad
I am sure thats not really his Floorjack. Thats the craftsman picture for that Jack
I do have that floor jack. I bought that whole kit (floor jack + 2 jack stands) on sale for $27 bucks.

I mean, it's good enough for oil changes and stuff but I just want something better now. I ended up returning the 3 ton jack stands today. Will see what else is out there.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:40 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Bobby, I can't help you with the jack stands since I welded my own up years ago and they will hold up a Mac Truck (almost).

But because of one of your other threads I spent a few more dollars. It was the thread about ramps. Some people were saying how well they like Rhino ramps. Well I saw them on sale, they look pretty good so I bought a pair.
I thought they might not be wide enough but my 245/45/18 on 8.5 wide rims fit perfectly. If you ever see them on sale check them out.
They are easy to carry around and store.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeee2
Any specific ones? Yeah, I was thinking to get a real floor jack or maybe get some shorter but better (car) jack stands like these for example http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=38846

I don't plan on doing anything major so I don't really need to lift the car high.
I have those jack stands, they work great.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by GEE35X
Bobby, I can't help you with the jack stands since I welded my own up years ago and they will hold up a Mac Truck (almost).

But because of one of your other threads I spent a few more dollars. It was the thread about ramps. Some people were saying how well they like Rhino ramps. Well I saw them on sale, they look pretty good so I bought a pair.
I thought they might not be wide enough but my 245/45/18 on 8.5 wide rims fit perfectly. If you ever see them on sale check them out.
They are easy to carry around and store.
Wayne, I've seen them in stores and I've read that they can hold a lot of weight. But I am still a bit skeptic about plastic though. Did you get the 8,000 lb one? It said maximum tire width is 7.5 inches.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:13 PM
Wayne, I've seen them in stores and I've read that they can hold a lot of weight. But I am still a bit skeptic about plastic though. Did you get the 8,000 lb one? It said maximum tire width is 7.5 inches.
Bobby, I got the ones that are rated for 8,000#s gross vehicle weight, which translates to 4,000 #'s per pair.
As I said earlier I was concerned about the width so I set my summer rubber (245/45/18) in them and they fit inside the pockets perfectly.
Here I took a couple pics showing how that size fits..

Old 01-26-2009, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by ProfanityPete
I have those jack stands, they work great.
Thanks. What kind of floor jack do you have? The closest Harbor Freight is almost about an hour away from me in NJ. Maybe I"ll pay a visit one day. Seems like they have alot of things on their website.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im not sure id would get anything from harbor freight.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:18 PM
Bobby, I got the ones that are rated for 8,000#s gross vehicle weight, which translates to 4,000 #'s per pair.
As I said earlier I was concerned about the width so I set my summer rubber (245/45/18) in them and they fit inside the pockets perfectly.
Here I took a couple pics showing how that size fits..
Thanks for the pics. It just looks a bit scary seeing a downward ramp right behind the wheels. Seems like it may roll down anytime. I know...I am just being paranoid (sorry, I am a DIY newbie).

Let me know how it is when you do work on it next time.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by huyqvu
im not sure id would get anything from harbor freight.
Reason? I've never been to it so I don't know anything about it.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the pics. It just looks a bit scary seeing a downward ramp right behind the wheels. Seems like it may roll down anytime. I know...I am just being paranoid (sorry, I am a DIY newbie).

Let me know how it is when you do work on it next time.
Bobby, they have pockets in the top that the tires set in.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:28 PM
Bobby, they have pockets in the top that the tires set in.
Oh...got it. Just checked the ramps on the web. Ok, that looks better.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Are these jack stands too high for our G?