G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

(mis)Adventures in modding

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 12:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(mis)Adventures in modding

So just wanted to tell a little story about modding my car. Last week, I decided to order some parts for my car. I wanted to install the following parts:

Sedan aero kit
Tein S-Techs
Axis Supermesh 19X8.5 and 19X9.5 (with tires)
Billet Grille
Clear corners

So I found an installer in Hayward CA to do the work for me. I ordered the parts from various parts from various vendors and had them drop ship the items to the installer.

Let's see, where to begin. The shop where I ordered the S-Techs (which said they had them in stock) actually didn't have them in stock. Gave me a run-around. Finally had the install shop order them. I bought the rims off someone on the forum who works for a tire company so he got me a pretty good deal on the tires. The problem was that the rear tires had to be shipped from a different location and didn't show up on time. Had the install shop order a separate set of tires for me (see my parts add for tires).

Then, when we had all the parts and they arrived at the shop, they found out that the rear under spoiler came in the wrong color. Don't the vendors check these things? The top billet grille went on just fine but the bottom ones didn't have the correct mounting brackets. So I had to call the company and they had to send me the correct mounting brackets.

Now, if this was the worst of it, I'd be fine. Turns out the shop scratched the front right quarter panel while they were doing the work. They've agreed to pay for a body shop to fix it but that's still such a pain. They installed the springs, rims, and tires. But when I drove the car away, it was pulling quite a bit to the right. Took it back, they said the alignment was fine but they flipped the front tires. It was still pulling to the right. This was Saturday evening at around 7pm so the shop was closing and I have to bring it back tomorrow. I bring it to another shop to take a look at the alignment and they tell me that the caster, camber, alignment specs look fine but that the suspension is not level. Apparently the left rear is sitting an inch lower than the right rear. They thought I had coilovers and they weren't adjusted correctly but I don't.

Anyways, I have to bring the car back to the shop tomorrow to have them take a look at these things. I'm really hoping they can fix the alignment issues and all that. The car looks really cool now but the alignment has me worried and annoyed. I'm sure they can fix the scratch but that just pisses me off. It's the first scratch on my car....

Anyways, any of you guys have had experiences like this? Anyone had issues with suspension levelling?

Andrew

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by achee on 06/18/04 09:24 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 06-20-2004, 11:21 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan
Re: (mis)Adventures in modding

Hey Andrew, what shop in Hayward?