G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Steering wheel vibrates when going over 65mph?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 05:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Steering wheel vibrates when going over 65mph?

Good luck. I had an 03 early model and could not get rid of the shake. Infiniti replaced wheels once and tires twice and balanced about 10 times, I even had an Infiniti Rep look at it. I did solve the problem I got an 04 Coupe.

Old 06-23-2004, 06:22 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The problem usually is they don't follow the TSB and drive the car at 60 mph for 20 minutes then tear back to dealership and put the car on the lift not letting it sit for more than 2-3 minutes with a load on the tires. Then they have to figure a way to keep the tires at road temperature while mounting on the Hunter 9700...[tires change with temperature]
............Impossible at most dealerships.
The Gyears are much more problematic than the M Sports.

A few years back they had problems on the new Q..........the problem was the wheels and lug nut locks and how the operatior used the 9700......needed more schooling.

Now with so many G35 selling they may need a full time tire expert [engineer] at each dealership.

Old 06-24-2004, 12:13 AM

jdog,

I had a slight vibration on my G35x with the Goodyear’s at 65-70 mph when new and I solved the problem.

Send me your address on a $20 bill and I'll send a prepaid response to your home.

No seriously, I hated the Goodyear's for lots of reasons. Their ride was harsh and unresponsive. Turn in was sluggish and I just knew there was a great deal more potential in the G's suspension that great tires could bring out. That’s why, at 2,500 insane miles, I bought a set of 235/50/17 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S and has been grinning ever since. Sold the OEM's on eBay for a fraction of what they were worth but it was the best upgrade I could reasonably make.

My guess is that a really good shop could balance your Goodyear’s to your satisfaction. It's just that even a mediocre shop can balance a set of top Michelin's just as well.

04 G35X<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by calejohnson on 06/23/04 09:49 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 06-24-2004, 08:27 AM

hey calejohnson,

I actually have the el42's and not the gyears. I seriously cannot take my car over 65mph for fear that things will start fallling off the car because it is shaking so bad. I was thinking about getting the dealership to swap out my tires for the goodyears, but your post is making me thing otherwise. I'll probably end up doing the same as you and dropping some duckets on a set of Michelin Pilot sports. Thanks for the post!

Old 06-24-2004, 11:55 AM

Dont buy the tires because if it still shakes Infiniti will say its your new tires. Have them try the goodyears first.

Old 06-24-2004, 12:03 PM

glish,

I'm pretty sure that if it was still shaking you could convince them it wasn't the new tires. Especially if your receipt for the tire installation was from a reputable shop.

But I think your point is good. Better make sure it's not something else that's causing the problem before spending money on new tires. Especially if you're otherwise happy with the OEMs.

04 G35X

Old 06-25-2004, 11:27 AM

Just wanted to update everyone. I picked up the G last night from the dealer and the car rides a thousand times better. Service Tech said he had never seen a car like that come off the lot with the wheels so out-of-balance, (yeah right). Not to mention, one of the balancing weights was missing from the front right tire. Looks like I'll try to get a few thousand out of these tires before I upgrate to the Michelin Pilot Sports. I still think the El's suck though, and infiniti would be better served by putting a nicer tire on their cars. Anyway, now it's on to better projects...window tints and upgrading the stock navi to play dvds. Thanks to everyone for all the posts. This is a great sight, I've found LOTS of useful info here!!!

Old 06-25-2004, 12:04 PM

I love it when a business starts their comment about your problem with "I've never..."

It always causes a flag to go up that whatever follows is total BS.

Glad you got it fixed. I can't get comfortable driving when the wheels are shaking from out of balance tires. It's a spoiler.

04 G35X