G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

5AT sedan performance woes: post your 40-80 times

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 11:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5AT sedan performance woes: post your 40-80 times

My car feels slow. Truthfully, it has felt slow in the upper rpm range since I got it (09-03) but I recently added a Z tube and now it seems worse. Midrange and low end torque feels great, and the car is quite punchy until 4500 rpm.
I have performed numerous 0-60 runs and get 7.2-7.3 consistently...way off of the 6.2 or so average most 5AT's get in the mags.
I reset ECU with the same results.
I obtained three 40-80 mph runs and got 7.5, 7.6, and 7.8 secs. Held it in second gear @ 40mph (manumatic), punch it, shift to third, then stop clock at 80mph. It would be much appreciated if some of you could do this and let me know your times...6MT's welcomed to chime in as well. Of course this is not the most precise of methods but it will give me an idea as I'm sure your times will be much faster.
I'm adding a Kinetix plenum this weekend, but I'm afraind there's something going on with my car.
The only other mod I have is a Magnaflow resonator in place of the mid-pipe..no performance difference.
My car will not even spin off the line...is this normal???

Old 07-01-2004, 12:09 PM
Re: 5AT sedan performance woes: post your 40-80 times

How are you measuring these times, if you're using a stop-watch then this is just about the most insane thread I've ever read.

I have a 6MT sedan and either I don't think it's the fastest thing in the world either. Definitely quick but leaves a lot to be desired up top. I rode in my buddies 350z and it was night and day above 5k RPM. I believe an exhaust system would make up most of that difference.

04 6MT Sedan - Z Tube, Stillen CAB, 04 Z Suspension

Old 07-01-2004, 01:07 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

BrianV, What's so insane about measuring times with a stopwatch? I do it myself. Without a g-tech meter, you've got no other choice. Besides, those times seem consistent to me, indicating fairly good accuracy.

CookG35,
If you're not getting the power up high, then it could mean that either the intake or exhaust is plugged. Check them for any issues. Is it possible the mid-pipe you put on could be plugged or otherwise damaged?
The intake should be easy to check.

As far as not being able to spin off the line---- that's prolly due to VDC intervention. Turn it off and try, carefully. Don't forget to turn it back on tho.

Let us know how you do, and if you find an issue.

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red>
<font color=red>GSM</font color=red>
<font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 07-01-2004, 01:17 PM

BrianV - You could really tell that much diff between the Z and G? I really can't tell much difference between the two and the 1/4 times are pretty close...

Cook - It seems like there's something wrong with your G. What kind of gas are you using? How many miles do you have on it?

BTW - I'll try to do your test this weekend and let you know what I get.

Old 07-01-2004, 01:19 PM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well ive got the 03.5 with just the Injen and my car flies. Im gonna go out there and try the 40-80 and 0-60 test, i am very confident i am under 6, yes 6!! Ive ran mid 5 second cars auto and are neck to neck with them, I also drove my car really hard through break in. What I do notice though is if im punching it from a stop or roll in manumatic mode and doing a high speed run its really fast, but when on the highway sitting in third at about 4-5k rpm then I punch it, as soon as I hit 4th gear it feels like 500 lbs were added. 4th gear I think is the gas saving gear? I dunno but when on the highway same situation but in D is it much much quicker. Get your car checked, cant wait to get my exhaust and test pipe's, should get some good gains! Martin

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package
Injen CAI
B+G Springs
ADR M-Classic 19's..

Old 07-01-2004, 01:39 PM

I just think there would be up to a 1/4 to 1/2 second variance in between runs, also it's hard to measure exactly 80 MPH consistently.

I have no clue what my time would be but I'd imagine somewhere between 6 and 7 seconds.

Old 07-01-2004, 01:41 PM

Well down low they felt similar, in fact in some ways the G felt punchier off the line. However around 80-110 MPH in the upper bands the Z just seemed to rev a lot faster and gain speed a lot faster.

Since my friend's car is in California and mine is in TX there can't be any side-by-side comparisons. My comparison is from the seat of the pants. Weather conditions were similar in CA and TX at the time. I consider my seat of the pants measurements about as accurate as even the most seasoned seats of pants testers. I have no other conclusive proof, but I do know my G35 is faster then my g/f's Camry, and I know my bud's stock 350z is faster then my G35 (in the upper region of the power band).

Old 07-01-2004, 02:42 PM

Just curious, I used to have a z but I really can't tell any difference up high...it had a little more down low but maybe that's just me.

Old 07-01-2004, 02:49 PM
English dude, English

I'll check as well, but I would prefer to use the G-Tech. I need to go buy one, does anyone know of a good place to purchase it and does anyone know the cost as well?

Old 07-01-2004, 02:58 PM

I will try to address/respond to all questions/statements:

I don't think it's insane.....I'm not looking for tenths of a difference from others I'm looking for a second or so. I do not think it should be the fastest car in the world either; just concerned at the disparity between my car and others. It's not too difficult to start a watch at 40 and then stop again at 80. Re-read my post....my car is a full second slower to 60-not a tenth or two-as such, the performance diffs should be evident even allowing for a wide margin of error with a 40-80 run.

I test drove a 350Z 6MT and another 5AT sedan yesterday. Comparing my car ....huge difference from 4500 rpm up with the Z, marginal difference (but one I could feel) with the G35.

I was eager to pull the stopwatch in front of the salesperson on the test drive...but common sense prevailed.

My car has 30K as did the test driven G. I use 93 octane always, but I get it at Sam's Club.....dang maybe I should switch to Sunoco ultra 94????

I too considered intake/exhaust hindrances. I checked the airfilter/Z tube up to the throttle body-looked good.
If a cat was clogged wouldn't I get a check-engine light?

The closest dealer is 150 miles away, or I would be there. I doubt they would do anything anyway.

When I said spin the tires off the line I meant with VDC off.

Every time I watch that video of the 5AT sedan with plenum/ground kit/intake kill that stock 6MT coupe I just can't believe it...there's no way my car would do that even with the plenum I will be installing tomorrow.

Old 07-01-2004, 04:53 PM

Yeah, that's odd too. I haven't exactly times mine yet but my 03.5 5AT feels slow too. I've read the mags get 6.1 at best and 6.2-6.5 norm. I turn off VDC all the time and I still can't chirp the tires from a stop. I reset my ECU often also. This stinksssssssss...I also have a Z tube.

Old 07-01-2004, 05:40 PM

I also think the chirping tires thing is a BAD indicator of whether your car is right or not.

First, there are differences in tires. Perhaps the good years chirp and the michelins do not. Different rubbers do different things. Also tread depth may be another variable. Also, the surface you're chirping on might be rougher then other resulting in more or less traction. Finally weight in the trunk, weather, fluid temps, etc.

There are numerous variations. Unless you had two same model G35's with same condition and model tires running on the same road, then there's no value in comparing who can chirp and who cannot.

Old 07-01-2004, 07:41 PM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver

Brian just said it best. I think my 03.5 sports sedan was gifted witht he power and speed it has lol. Gurgen can also tell you that, we have the same exact car's If I power break to launch my car I chrip easily and even get a little smoke if RPM's are high enough or the ground, weather etc. also. I have no prob lighting my tires up at all.. i feel sorry for you guys!

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package
Injen CAI
B+G Springs
ADR M-Classic 19's..