G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Who says the Sedan doesn't get any Lovin?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 11:45 AM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Can the last hanger just be cut and rewelded? Mine is scrapped too.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 127 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by naughty240
Can the last hanger just be cut and rewelded? Mine is scrapped too.

^I don't know much about welding and if rewelding those portions would cause structural weakness but that idea crossed my mind. The muffler has two L brackets/hangars and if we could shorten them both it would help immensely with clearance. I'd think if you just did the one closest to the tips it would angle the muffler up...but if that's the only way it would work I'd probably give it a go.

I sent a PM to Tony so I'm sure he'll chime in sooner or later.

That Harakiri portion seems mighty tempting.....would be able to switch 'em out at will. AT WILL.

My brain cannot comprehend the awesomeness....

Old 10-21-2010, 12:51 PM
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
I used a smaller hanger on the spot behind the driver side rear wheel, it pulled up the exhaust about an inch and then I had to re-adjust the v clamp to make the dual tips level. I don't scrape the tips anymore just the lowest part of the exhaust in between the wheeels on big bumps and such.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by 3truman
I used a smaller hanger on the spot behind the driver side rear wheel, it pulled up the exhaust about an inch and then I had to re-adjust the v clamp to make the dual tips level. I don't scrape the tips anymore just the lowest part of the exhaust in between the wheeels on big bumps and such.

^ Interesting, Brad. From what I recall when my install was done the L bracket from the muffler connects to the hangars with the hangar's black rubber mount - so I didn't see a higher spot that the install dudes could have placed the L bracket on...did you install it yourself or go to a shop? By chance do you have any pics to show how the muffler is sitting?

Are you lowered at all, or still sitting stock height ATM?

Old 10-21-2010, 03:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3truman--is there enough flex in the exhaust to pull it up by the hanger like you mentioned.

I'm going over to my buddies house tomorrow afternoon to install it. He races Nascar and is like a certified nascar tech or something like that so maybe he'll have some ideas or a solution. last thing i wanna do is scrape that beautiful exhaust

Old 10-21-2010, 03:09 PM
Pics in a min.....

Old 10-21-2010, 03:38 PM
ok here it is. its not the best engineering or best looking fix but it works for me! no problems so far. its still a little crooked but it doesn't bother me. it rained here the last couple of days so its dirty.

not too bad for droid pics huh?

Peter i'm lowered on tein coupe s-techs

Last edited by 3truman; 10-21-2010 at 03:40 PM. Reason: n/a
Old 10-21-2010, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator
ok here it is. its not the best engineering or best looking fix but it works for me! no problems so far. its still a little crooked but it doesn't bother me. it rained here the last couple of days so its dirty.

not too bad for droid pics huh?

Peter i'm lowered on tein coupe s-techs

^ That's very helpful, Brad, thanks for taking the pics. On that first pic which shows the rubber mount and the muffler L hangar.... It looks like you drilled a bolt on the upper portion of the rubber mount to make it sit higher than normal.....which in turn makes the muffler sit higher as well? Am I seeing that right? Regardless, that's a great pic to show the install guys when we get my sedan on a lift for adjustment.

It's good to know you're lowered with that fix and you dont scrape. IIRC, coupe stechs are 2"fr/1.3"r drop? I think ima chance it and try to go a little more lower in the back like 1.7 or so but not lower than 2" with the vq. You're on coupe 18"s - is that normally a 40 or 45 series tire back there/all around?

Old 10-21-2010, 04:53 PM
that hanger is the same one from that spot, no new hangers used or purchased. the original piece has a metal shroud around it, i removed the metal shroud and reinstalled the hanger by putting the bolt in the spot it is in the pic. doing this allows the muffler to sit higher and scrape less, plus there is less gap between the tips and rear bumper making it look cleaner and more professional imo. i have coupe 17's with a 45 series tire.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator
that hanger is the same one from that spot, no new hangers used or purchased. the original piece has a metal shroud around it, i removed the metal shroud and reinstalled the hanger by putting the bolt in the spot it is in the pic. doing this allows the muffler to sit higher and scrape less, plus there is less gap between the tips and rear bumper making it look cleaner and more professional imo. i have coupe 17's with a 45 series tire.

^ Thanks again, Brad, I am going back to my shop this afternoon and will show them this to see what they can do.

I also PM'ed Tony, and he had this to say:

The midpipe height can be changed slightly by loosening the midpipe V-band clamps and rotating the pipe +/- 20 degrees. The height will change slightly with rotation.

As for changing the tip height, yes, the muffler shop can shorten the hanger height quite easily.
I will try your method, Brad, as well as rotating the midpipe slightly. Hopefully there won't be a necessity to reweld, but I am thinking of going lower so I may do this too.

Thanks again for your help!

Old 10-22-2010, 03:47 PM
I need to turn my midpipe too, that explains why it hangs down so much........ dunno why I didn't think of that.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator
^ I was thinking of doing it but I was afraid of leaking something, and not only from my pants this time

Old 10-24-2010, 01:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I finally got around to installing the exhaust. It was super easy minus the one y-pipe nut/bolt that wouldn't come off.

Love the sound!!

I just have one question. The hanger closest to the tips doesn't have anywhere to go. blklude98 said in his install the VQ only used one side of the hangers, is this referring to just using the one side of the hangers on the muffler part? The only two that I'm using right now are the one on the midpipe and the one at the base of the muffler. It feel's sturdy with those two, but is it ok to just use those other two. I'm considering just getting the 03-04 mounts like blklude98 to make me feel better lol.

Old 10-24-2010, 04:08 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
You must have the 05 or later correct? There is a bracket kit sold by Riverside Infiniti that will adapt the 05-06 sedans to 04 sedaan exhaust systems.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:38 AM
tony i was planning on getting some art pipes in the very near future and im just a little curious about how loud my g could be with them on, and the straight mid and straight xyz. does anyone else have this setup that you know of? i have seen some other members on here and some z drivers who have them, but im curious cause they dont really sound the same as my car in the videos. Tollboothwilly has the resonated mid and resonated xyz and our cars sound pretty different. I just dont want my wife and family to freak out if its really loud. i know your busy, but any input would be greatly appreciated! thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Who says the Sedan doesn't get any Lovin?